Talk

Advanced search

Cunting BT.

(47 Posts)
RespectTheDoughnut Tue 07-Dec-10 22:01:48

I've been without a phone line (& therefore my broadband) for 9 days so far. & an engineer hasn't even been assigned to my case, because of the snow. The snow is not that fucking bad.

I am having to use the internet on a shitty dongle, with a 3G connection.

Somebody else is receiving my phone calls hmm

I cannot do the work for university which I need to do, because I cannot spend enough time in the university library (childcare) & the journals which I need won't load properly because they time out on the dongle.

AIBU to be really fucking angry? angry

I don't care if I am. I'm going to continue stomping around, badmouthing BT until they sort this out & apologise for this shit.

RespectTheDoughnut Tue 07-Dec-10 22:14:32

Somebody come & sympathiiiiiiiiise

I have to keep restarting my computer to make my dongle work again.

Funny, because that was my husband's problem [inappropriate joke for those who know me emoticon]

ivykaty44 Tue 07-Dec-10 22:15:10

bt gave my phone number to soemone else, then they got my number back and their was a fault on the line - then when I phoned them they said they had phoned but as noone answered they had signed the problem with the fault off - the problem was the phone would ring but not in the house!

I am no longer with any phone company and have cable as I then don't need a phone line and have to pay for that on tp -as all the deals look good then you have to add the cost of line rental

so 20 quid for internet and much fast than bt vision, and a mobiule which does me for 15 quid and 5 hours and unlimited texts, no tv either as the wireless is good and we can watch tv on desktop or ipod

RespectTheDoughnut Tue 07-Dec-10 22:16:59

So this isn't just a one off? They have form for this? Oh, I am mightily unimpressed.

Which cable company are you with?

RespectTheDoughnut Tue 07-Dec-10 22:18:52

My broadband isn't even with BT. It's with Sky. So I'm paying them, but not getting any service, because I have no phone line.

I'm also, amongst other things, awaiting delivery of a new tumble dryer. I have no idea what's going on with that (it was due on Saturday, but the snow would've been too bad) because they only have my landline number. Which isn't even mine any more.

GraceAwayInAManger Tue 07-Dec-10 22:22:05

I totally agree with your title. They've been ripping me off for months and I'm still trying to get hold of someone who can understand their deliberately opaque billing system, let alone have the power to make decisions angry

Try the BT forums - their CS managers do check them, and deal with persistent complainers. Also, ring customer services at different times of day (if you can - from your mobile) and keep asking to be 'escalated'.

I once got a massive refund from them, after about 4 months of nagging, and am hoping for a similar result.

Good luck to both of us!

GraceAwayInAManger Tue 07-Dec-10 22:22:55

Umm, re your dryer - ring the landline that's supposed to be yours?

RespectTheDoughnut Tue 07-Dec-10 22:28:07

I asked to be escalated already. Apparently no such system exists. I told him that I didn't believe him, but he insisted. So that'd be a lie, then.

& the people getting my calls are being nice, but are losing patience (as you would). I also don't think that they'll have had a message regarding the dryer, because why would a company leave a message with someone who has nothing to do with me?

The dryer is from John Lewis, so I'm relying on their customer service to be good enough to sort this out, but I've not had any time to contact them yet. That's tomorrow's job.

There must be Data Protection issues involved in someone else getting my calls.

GraceAwayInAManger Tue 07-Dec-10 22:35:05

It would be a lie.

Another thing, which you've probably already tried? Call them asking to terminate your account. Sky can probably get you a new number anyway, and at least you'll be put through to someone who has the power to change things.

JingleBelleDameSansMerci Tue 07-Dec-10 22:36:02

I spent ages replying to your original OP on Sunday but it then disappeared. I was quite miffed. I explained what was likely to have caused the problem and even found the best way for you to contact BT given that you have no landline. I can see you've reported the fault now though so you won't need that!

It may not, actually, have been BT that mis-assigned your number (this can be done by a mistaken order from the company you were leaving or by a non-BT engineer in a junction box). Equally, it could have been BT.

For the record, BT Openreach (who do the engineering) are completely max-ed out and have a huge backlog which has been caused by the weather.

JingleBelleDameSansMerci Tue 07-Dec-10 22:37:47

If you feel your fault is not being dealt with in the correct manner, suggest you email the CEO - ian.livingstone@bt.com - and follow the recommendations on this website. It's worked for friends of mine.

RespectTheDoughnut Tue 07-Dec-10 22:38:28

So not only are they totally incompetent, they're liars too. Wonderful.

I think that this only happened because I gave in to their pressure to have my calls with them, not Sky. That'll teach me.

As it happens, I was going to switch from Sky to Plusnet for my internet (& the process is partly underway), but Plusnet is BT owned. Forget that then. I'll make do with really slow internet before I give BT any more of my money.

I can't believe that this isn't even rare. Good idea about terminating - I might as well just start from scratch with another company.

RespectTheDoughnut Tue 07-Dec-10 22:41:46

Oh, sorry BDSM I deleted it because it seemed like a waste of time & I felt like I was whining unnecessarily. Now I'm angry instead of just a bit annoyed.

& yes, I'm sure they do have a backlog, but I'm being told that nobody's even going out in my area. It is not that bad. I have been having driving lessons in it, so I'm sure they can get a bloke in a van out. I wouldn't be half as angry if I thought they were doing something. They are not. I have no sympathy for their self-inflicted backlog.

Thanks for the link

RandyRussian Tue 07-Dec-10 22:44:33

Also with BT but for internet as well. Agree about the CS but at least having their internet means you can take the laptop and log to a BT Fon Spot which is like a wi-fi hotspot and there are loads of them.

aristocat Tue 07-Dec-10 23:01:04

OMG Respect how bad are BT shock ..... i dont like them either but 9 days is disgusting!
contact the CEO as suggested.

<< whispers .... check our book thread please, arti needs info from everyone >>

igetmorelovefromthecat Tue 07-Dec-10 23:02:10

I have had no end of problems with BT, only been a customer for 5 months but though they have royally fucked me around, the upshot is that I have not had to pay anything yet and am still about £100 in credit as every time they cock up I demand compensation. They are an absolute bunch of arseholes.

Still has worked out quite cheap!

I have a direct dial number for some actual human beings there, PM me if you want it.

RespectTheDoughnut Tue 07-Dec-10 23:14:00

Aristocat, just PMed her Thanks for the heads up.

9 days is disgusting. Especially when there's no sign of them doing anything about it.

igetmorelove - we had problems when we first became customers, because they managed to deactivate the line & we had to pay £125 to have it reinstated. I was pregnant & very unwell with it, so my husband dealt with it & somehow came to the agreement that we'd pay it, but over a long period, so it wasn't so much of a problem. I wasn't thrilled, but at least it was sorted. Now I'm a single mother & I have even less patience with this than before.

It's the uni work that's really pissing me off tonight. I have so much to do & I just can't access what I need to. & DS is fast asleep, so I can't just go to the library like 'normal' students.

Arrrrgh. Bad, bad week.

classydiva Tue 07-Dec-10 23:16:43

Use your BT line and use 02 for your broadband, cheap as chips and 3 times as fast down the same phone line. Amazing.

GraceAwayInAManger Wed 08-Dec-10 01:19:24

Not so amazing if BT have failed to get your line working ... sometimes a good idea to read the OP hmm

RespectTheDoughnut Wed 08-Dec-10 10:47:53

Sometimes grin

The CEO has replied to my email to say that he will get somebody to look into it & contact me. So far, nothing else. If I've not heard anything by this afternoon, I'll hassle him some more.

RespectTheDoughnut Wed 08-Dec-10 15:02:16

I have been on hold for 25+ minutes so far. The complaint has been escalated now though. What do you know? shockhmm

RespectTheDoughnut Wed 08-Dec-10 17:37:31

Was on hold for about 45 minutes in the end. I've been out for a driving lesson & while I was out, I missed a call from someone from the 'VIP & Executive Level Complaints' department, which was then followed up by an email. This was all about 4.30.

I have just had an engineer who has checked the line & believes that he can fix it at the exchange. I'm waiting for a call from him (hopefully on my landline!) but if he doesn't manage it, he'll let me know on my mobile & come back over if he has time before the end of his shift.

It's quite miraculous how things have suddenly sped along after 10 days, isn't it? The initial deadline of 3rd Dec came & went without so much as an acknowledgement, but now... Well. The power of the Mumsnet collective wisdom has helped. I'll hold a little enthusiasm back for when my phone works, but still - progress!

prettyfly1 Wed 08-Dec-10 17:42:04

Oh dont - they are doing masses with our office at the moment and they are utterly crap.

RespectTheDoughnut Wed 08-Dec-10 17:49:48

I guess it's what happens when you pretty much have a monopoly on a service. I'm really unimpressed.

anonymousbird Wed 08-Dec-10 17:49:54

Have just endured a ten day bout of "BT-itis".
Fuckers.

And in my case, they didn't even have the snow to blame.

They lied, mostly, made things up (same as lying) and contradicted themselves on a large number of occasions.

My average call (twice daily during my ten day episode) was somewhere between 30 and 60 minutes

And again I say FUCKERS, THE LOT OF THEM.

My next "ailment" target is British Gas. Only on my third visit with them, but equal amounts of liberal lying and making up has been suffered.

Not quite at status of fuckers, yet, assuming the man currently in my loft actually fixes the problem. Permanently. If I have to endure my poor DH crawling up the loft ladder for another night at 3 am trying to sort it out, they will then indeed be FUCKERS as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now