Talk

Advanced search

I was SOBBING after watching back to back episodes of 'Secret Millionaire' earlier,

(33 Posts)
Reality Tue 07-Dec-10 20:02:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CybillLiberty Tue 07-Dec-10 20:03:34

I liked the earlier ones but can't realy beleive folk dont cotton onto the' well meaning stranger who comes in with film crew'

roomonthebroom Tue 07-Dec-10 20:05:19

YANBU- I always sob and sometimes DH joins in.

usualsuspect Tue 07-Dec-10 20:06:07

I watched the one that was filmed in the town where I live...the areas are nothing like they were depicted on the programme..my mum lives in one of the areas, and was most annoyed it was portrayed as a poor area grin

notnowbernard Tue 07-Dec-10 20:06:14

I've never watched an episode and not been in tears by the end, either

Have you seen the one with the vair rich London propert developer who went to Glasgow (?) and 'volunteered' at a community centre for people with special needs? OMG. Amazing

ShoppingDays Tue 07-Dec-10 20:08:24

It's a fantastic programme. Really moving and so different to all the me-me-me wannabe shows.

Olifin Tue 07-Dec-10 20:14:56

Awwww, I loved the Brighton one 'cause it featured a couple of young lads I knew who went to a school I worked at

I still love the prog but agree with CybillLiberty- I'm sure most of the people on them realise they have a Secret Millionaire in their midst. You can tell sometimes when they start talking about their lack of funding etc.

Reality Tue 07-Dec-10 20:18:52

MrsNonSmoker Tue 07-Dec-10 20:20:13

The charity I work for just had a secret millionaire, but we can't say anything because it won't be broadcast till next year. We had no idea. I always said they must know, I always said I would know, but I didn't. It was amazing.

Reality Tue 07-Dec-10 20:21:20

dbm Tue 07-Dec-10 20:21:40

havent seen many but think its great, the one I saw last week with the Scot who had served in the Falklands was very touching as he faced some of his own relationships differently

Olifin Wed 08-Dec-10 08:57:19

Ooooh MrsNonSmoker that's coooool. Let us know when yours is going to be on

theevildead2 Wed 08-Dec-10 09:06:23

I bawl,
I do think they only mention lack of funding etc because they are asked and also because if you have a small charity and are given the oppertunity of a camera crew in your midst... You would mention it I'm sure

Olifin Wed 08-Dec-10 10:14:05

True ted

LessonsinL Wed 08-Dec-10 10:27:26

the one where the secret millionaire is working at an old person's home.. one of the carers asks an old boy there what his wife's name was and he says.. <lump in throat> "I can't remember"

FindingAManger Wed 08-Dec-10 10:34:26

I CAN'T STAND this programme - "I'm rich, watch me go out into the world and do good for the poor ones who aren't as well off as me & my family & be filmed why I do it. I'll make fantastic telly".

Why not just do it, without the cameras & glory? Seems very self serving vanity project to me. "I never realised how hard some have got it/how lucky we are etc etc. Gee it feels fantastic writing this cheque - did you catch me signing it or shall I write another one? Camera ready now?".

I've watched it a couple of times (hence forming this opinion) and don't watch it anymore, though everyone else seems to just LOVE it. Puke TV IMO.

On the other hand, I do cry watching Undercover Boss (I'm not a hard nosed bitch)!

theevildead2 Wed 08-Dec-10 11:23:23

FindingAManger, quite a lot of them started out in similar conditions to the people they're helping. I think's one of the reason I get so emotional!

spikeycow Wed 08-Dec-10 11:31:21

Mmm. I've talked on here about living in a homeless hostel, and the shit I went through. All I got from Mumsnet was ridicule and abuse.

FindingAManger Wed 08-Dec-10 11:36:17

sorry to hear that spikey & really hope things have improved for you now?

EweArghhBeeInkUnderbobble Wed 08-Dec-10 11:36:34

Why did you get abuse?

santasbluebaubles Wed 08-Dec-10 11:36:35

Agree with findingamanger. It's not all about giving to those in need, it's about the millionaires self-publicising.

Many of us give to charity, we don't feel the need to invite a TV crew along so we can show the nation how amazing we are.

spikeycow Wed 08-Dec-10 11:47:15

Oh yes, they have improved. This was a few years back.
I was ridiculed on a few threads as stupid, told I'd made bad financial choices etc. Then I was told when I eventually got a home I didn't need furniture till I'd saved up for it (yeah, right). I'm not bothered about those threads now, I'm glad these programmes are shown so people can see the reality of it. There are too many homeless families. Oh and it was my fault for choosing an abusive partner aswell, apparently I "couldn't have it all"

spikeycow Wed 08-Dec-10 11:48:57

Ewe, I got abuse because it makes some Mumsnetters feel superior. Like they would never end up like that, and if they did they'd get themselves out of it. They don't have a clue.

dbm Wed 08-Dec-10 11:52:05

I'm not sure about the self-publicising as TBH I haven't heard of these people before and they dont get coverage beyond the tv programme or develop a completely slebby lifestyle as far as i'm aware obviously these programmes are the tip of the iceberg and many of us haven't a clue how tough it is or can be for lots of people, at least it pricks the conscience of some

spikeycow Wed 08-Dec-10 11:58:31

But also not everyone on the programmes get help. On the last series they went to London, a friend of mine featured on the programme (single dad) got moved to a better part of the borough, a Disney holiday, the works. But some in the hostel got nothing at all. The playground the millionaire built on the estate has burned down since aswell (a child was playing with matches, wasn't deliberate). Why didn't he give a smaller amount to everyone in the hostel instead of selecting one or two?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now