Talk

Advanced search

To have been irritated by this xmas card?

(86 Posts)
FunkySnowSkeleton Tue 07-Dec-10 11:24:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

color Tue 07-Dec-10 11:26:08

put the card in the bin. It wasn't really from your nan so it can't count. Ignore it don't let it blow up possibly they thought they were really genuinely funny.

whostolemyname Tue 07-Dec-10 11:26:22

I think you are being a bit unreasonable, they are trying to help her after all. Did you offer to buy and write cards for her?

pleasechange Tue 07-Dec-10 11:29:21

I think they were probably trying to help her. Sounds like the cards were written in a hurry. No biggie really, it's nice that they helped her out

Onetoomanycornettos Tue 07-Dec-10 11:30:03

I think you are massively overreacting, to be honest. You are obviously sad about your Nan's decline. Your aunt and uncle are helping out, but that doesn't mean doing things the same. Personally I think a generic card is ok and would not perceive it as an insult. It sounds like you are all looking for them to do something wrong rather than looking for the good in what they are doing. Sorry, I just don't see this as you do.

BlueFergie Tue 07-Dec-10 11:31:03

Why are you annoyed with your aunt and not your uncle? He is her son surely he knows his mother best?

Some people just regard cards as a bit of a waste of time and effort. Obviously you aunt and uncle are one of these people. Your nan probably had time to put in the effort to get individualised cards but maybe you aunt and uncle don't. Its probably just another thing on the list of things they have to do before Christmas. It is a shame they didn't put in the effort for the sake of your nan but if you feel this strongly maybe you could take over and do it for her?

As for what they write in their own cards I think you should let it go. Its a minor thing and like I said some people find wrinting cards a pain in the neck and just churn through them.

In conclusion I think you are being a little unreasonable

TwinklePants Tue 07-Dec-10 11:31:14

what allnew said

domesticsluttery Tue 07-Dec-10 11:31:25

I think YABU.

Presuming that your Nan sends out a lot of cards (and she sounds like the sort of person who would) then offering to write and send her cards for her would be a big job.

Not everyone places the same importance on choosing "special" cards. And if they had chosen special ones, then they still wouldn't have been chosen by your Nan.

I knwo you are probably upset about the fact that your Nan isn't very well, but I don't think you should take it out on your Aunt and Uncle, who are probably only trying to do their best.

Whitershadeofpale Tue 07-Dec-10 11:31:34

YABU your aunt and uncle have helped out your nan at a very busy time of the year. I'm sure they have lots of their own cards to write as well as all of your nans.

Based on the fact that they are doing that (when many would have told her just to not bother sending cards) I would imagine the probably help her out in other ways as well, which would leave them with little time to personalise each card. If it's so important to you, you should offer to do it next year. Remember they won't even be recieving one unless the send it themselves.

FunkySnowSkeleton Tue 07-Dec-10 11:32:36

rubyrubyruby Tue 07-Dec-10 11:33:42

it's a card ffs, the luckey ones get kept for cutting and sticking, the rest go in the bin.

Get over yourself woman !

pleasechange Tue 07-Dec-10 11:36:06

funky I'm sure your nan would be more upset that 'her' cards have caused such a lot of fuss and annoyance on your behalf. She clearly thinks cards are important, so for you to be so indignant about cards that were sent on her behalf would I imagine be very upsetting for her

Onetoomanycornettos Tue 07-Dec-10 11:36:09

Grans have time to walk to the shop, spend hours choosing them and writing them. Busy aunts and uncles who probably have jobs get a pack and do their best. If they were neglecting her food or heating or any important aspect of her care, you would have a point. Otherwise, you are causing family strife by going on about it at a time where your nan wants everyone to be happy and pull together.

NutellaIsMyHeroin Tue 07-Dec-10 11:39:54

YABU. They are not your nan, so can't possibly be expected to write the same kind of card. I agree with the other posters who say that you are more upset about your nan's health rather than the cards. Do you manage to spend much time with her?

Chil1234 Tue 07-Dec-10 11:41:26

YABU. Why set so much store by the wording on a silly card? Is there some back-story problem here about the aunt muscling in on Nan's affairs? Go and visit your Nan or call her on the phone so you can say Happy Christmas to each other in person.

IWouldNotCouldNotWithAGoat Tue 07-Dec-10 11:41:31

What on earth are you on about?

bupcakesandcunting Tue 07-Dec-10 11:43:55

YABVU

Your grandma is sick and you're whining because you haven't had your special wecial card? Grow up hmm

My grandad has alzheimer's and his elderly sister sometimes helps him with his cards. I've had cards for grandson, niece, brother, all sorts. It's just a card. Does not matter.

sims2fan Tue 07-Dec-10 11:45:44

All my family get generic, multipack cards from me, and I give them to everyone too. Even my mum. In my family we think the individual 'to my ....' type cards are just a waste of money and would rather people didn't bother wasting their money on specific cards for us. Maybe your aunt and uncle have a similar mentality. Also, do you see your nan regularly? If so they probably knew there was no point in putting a long message as she could pass her Christmas wishes onto you all herself when she sees you. I'm sure your aunt and uncle had your and her best wishes at heart and would hate to think you would be so upset over a card.

pleasechange Tue 07-Dec-10 11:45:59

I feel very sad for your nan now. She wanted you to have a nice card and you're slagging off the card you got

ChickensHaveNoMercyForTurkeys Tue 07-Dec-10 11:48:44

YABU. Hugely. This is a very petty thing to get het up about. I fail to see the insult tbh.

Bue Tue 07-Dec-10 11:48:47

What on earth??

I (grudgingly) did my Xmas cards last night and my best friends got barely more than 'Merry Christmas' and our names. They're lucky they're getting a card at all! I'm sure they know I still love them.

femalevictormeldrew Tue 07-Dec-10 11:49:27

YAB a bit U (sorry)

Would it not have seemed a bit weird if they had put up a sort of pretence that they were from your Grandmother (and you knowing IYKWIM)?

They are probably up to their elbows in cards both their own and your Grans. Let it go, and go see your Gran over Christmas and be thankful she is still here (and I mean that in the nicest way because mine passed away 2 years ago)

getabloodygrip Tue 07-Dec-10 11:49:51

You are joking, right? I don't understand how you are upset about this?

Your Nan normally sends you a lovely personalised card. This year, she can't, so she hasn't done it. Concentrate on helping your Nan, rather than being hissy about it.

At least your uncle and aunt have helped her with her cards, good on em, that's what I say.

It's the thought that counts, and the thought is there. How gutted would she/they be to find out that their little prima donna is throwing her toys of the pram when they've gone to this effort!!!!

Why aren't YOU helping your Nan with her cards, hey?

Pathetic! Sorry. YAB SO U.

Deliaskis Tue 07-Dec-10 11:50:13

I think YABU. You don't even know how the conversation went. Your Nan might have passed them the list and said 'just do whatever you have time for, I don't want to be a burden'. Your A&U are helping out, at a very busy time. Your A&U might not even know that you usually get special cards. I think you're being pretty unfair and unreasonable really.

If I had received that card, regardless of previous years of special cards, I would have thought, 'oh lovely, A&U did help nan with her cards, I'm glad about that as she would not have been able to do them herself'.

D

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now