Talk

Advanced search

to think I'll never get out of this street...

(16 Posts)
juneybean Mon 06-Dec-10 19:23:53

I'm doing a temp job in a tiny village and I foolishly went down a steep lane to get to their house... obviously completely snowy and icy... how on earth will I get back out by Friday please???

I've only got a citroen xsara!

juneybean Mon 06-Dec-10 19:40:01

Bumpppp

Rocket100 Mon 06-Dec-10 20:57:55

I have a Xsara Picasso and it's fine in snow/ice (crosses fingers and hopes she's not jinxed herself!). My dad always said that if you can, you should set off in second, or get up the gears as fast as you can. I get up the icy hill out of our estate just by putting it in second and letting the engine struggle. Don't over-rev it.

Alternatively, pay someone with a 4x4 or a tractor to tow you out! Kind of defeats the object of the temp job, though, don't you think?
Good luck.

juneybean Mon 06-Dec-10 21:02:16

Ooo how do I do that in second without causing it to stall?

I have looked at the weather and it looks like it'll get mildly warmer towards the end of the week <fingers crossed>

Thanks for answering btw

juneybean Tue 07-Dec-10 12:12:17

I can't move it

HecTheHallsWithBoughsOfHolly Tue 07-Dec-10 12:16:44

Don't panic, you've got until friday. Perhaps things will have improved by then. Are you a member of aa/rac/green flag? Don't know if they can tow? Or contact local garage or something? just to know your options in advance?

juneybean Tue 07-Dec-10 12:21:04

I really hope so, can't stop panicking (born worrier) I am a member of RAC I'll look on their website.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Tue 07-Dec-10 12:21:36

I don't know what to suggest really. I feel for you, I got stuck at work the other day on a pretty gentle slope. Thankfully, it's a hospital and they cleared the snow mid morning so I was just late home after a night shift.

I was told to find the virgin snow because you will have more traction. I thought I was going to get stuck on a hill on the way into work and pulled over, trying to park and managed to get going again in the fresh snow.

I hope you find a way to get out. Snow is a nightmaresad

SlobbyBOB Tue 07-Dec-10 12:23:30

No local tractors to give you a tow out

juneybean Tue 07-Dec-10 12:26:05

Ooo no idea, I'll have to ask the dadboss when he comes home from work, I don't know the village at all so no idea about tractors or anything.

Thanks for replying

PotteringAlong Tue 07-Dec-10 12:53:02

high gears, low revs according to my DH (current broken leg so am doing all the driving and he is back seat driving!). Am going to give up the day job and join the cast of ice road truckers when this is all done!

Bramshott Tue 07-Dec-10 14:10:23

If someone has a tractor, it's likely they'll be able to tow you out. We got stuck in my parents village one Christmas and the local farmer hauled us back up the hill in exchange for a bottle of wine!

SlobbyBOB Wed 08-Dec-10 09:32:37

Well are you still stuck ?

juneybean Wed 08-Dec-10 10:56:28

Tried yesterday afternoon and couldn't move, going to try again in a bit and see if it moves.

Looks like someone else has got out as there are tire marks.

Also going to grab some grit on school run.

Dadboss thinks it'll get warmer tomorrow!

hystericalmum Wed 08-Dec-10 10:58:02

good luck.

juneybean Wed 08-Dec-10 10:58:48

Thank you! Also read that on FWD to try going backwards? So I might try that too... could well end up in a tree later on grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: