Talk

Advanced search

That Disney are not doing more princess films

(34 Posts)
Booandpops Sun 05-Dec-10 22:50:32

I find it very sad that Disney. Modern Inventor of childhood dreams and fantasy are stopping new films with princesses. Anyone else feel girls ( and boys) will be missing out. Childhood these days is already to fast. What's wrong with a bit of fantasy and make believe as a child. If they can't have it now when can they? Thoughts please?

LadyBiscuit Sun 05-Dec-10 22:51:26

bear

PaisleyLeaf Sun 05-Dec-10 22:51:45

There can't be many Princess films left to make can there?

thegrudge Sun 05-Dec-10 22:55:47

Why can't they watch the ones that have already been made?

TheButterflyEffect Sun 05-Dec-10 22:59:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MinkyBorage Sun 05-Dec-10 22:59:47

Princesses are a total pile of shite. Why the hell is it sad? There are loads of great imaginative story lines which don't necessarily have to end in a woman's success or failure being demonstrated by their marriage or not, as the case may be, to a prince. Bloody good job if you ask me. Perhaps they'll stop making those SHOCKING nylon dresses as well.

GrimmaTheNome Sun 05-Dec-10 23:02:27

>the Nazi propoganda one
eh? missed that one...

Booandpops Sun 05-Dec-10 23:08:12

The fact that all of us are not goning to marry princes is not really the point. I just feel that the harsh reality of life is given too young these days and society just goes along with it. Disney were the one company that seemed to hang on to tradition and even they are giving up! Sad :0(

drfayray Sun 05-Dec-10 23:08:30

The scene in the Lion King, I am guessing?

TheButterflyEffect Sun 05-Dec-10 23:11:45

bethelbeth Sun 05-Dec-10 23:15:06

Erm Tangled is coming out soon is it not?

That's based around Rapunzel and should be rather good.

Anyway, I agree does it really matter if it is a film with a 'Princess' in it? Will they not be equally as good if they have strong male and female roles?

They'll still have plenty to fantasize about anyway, it's not like the dozen or so Classic Disney films are about to disappear for good.

YABU for thinking that children's fantasies have ended.

thegrudge Sun 05-Dec-10 23:15:18

But there are loads of 'traditional tales' type films and unless you are watching a staggering amount of films then you can get to a fair age before you run out of them. You don't have to only watch stuff that has been released in the last 5 minutes. I like this Cinderella from 1920 something I'm not banned from watching it because I was born 50 years too late.

TheButterflyEffect Sun 05-Dec-10 23:20:41

ShanahansRevenge Sun 05-Dec-10 23:23:31

BooandPops...YABU my girls have never seen ONE of those films...they show no interest and I am glad.

It's utter shite. None of them bear any resemblance to the real tales from which they were taken anyway. Not that I sit and read my girls stories which put forward the idea that all witches are old and ugly (you have to be young to be worth anything) and all good girls have 18 inch waists.

ShanahansRevenge Sun 05-Dec-10 23:25:34

You dont need to lean on a massive corporation like Disney to access tradition for your DCs BooandPops...there are plenty of wonderful stories and films for them.

blueshoes Sun 05-Dec-10 23:33:35

Is the OP a windup, or works for Disney?

Surprised Disney cannot magic up yet another princess. Greatest money spinner for them ever. Money for old rope, is what it is called.

MrManager Sun 05-Dec-10 23:49:55

Good riddance to the princesses, their Pixar films have been far superior.

greenbananas Sun 05-Dec-10 23:57:26

Well, I'll be very glad to see the back of Disney princesses. They simper in a most distressing way and I think they're dreadful role models for young girls.

Also, most of them are pink/white/blonde - even the first so-called "non-white" Disney princess (Jasmine??) is hardly brown at all. What does this say to little girls about skin colour and beauty? I've complained in 3 card shops because my gorgeous nieces are mixed-race and love princesses and all the princesses on the birthday cards are light pink or very, very light brown... grrr angry

strandedatseasonsgreetings Sun 05-Dec-10 23:57:38

biscuit wierd thread of the night.

strandedatseasonsgreetings Sun 05-Dec-10 23:58:35

greenbananas - I thought they addressed that with Princess Tiana?

greenbananas Mon 06-Dec-10 00:01:01

maybe - never heard of Tania and I do confess that I haven't watched very many Disney films. For me, the overall impression is still that princess are pink/white and very, very thin, with big eyes and lovely cheekbones. It annoys me!

strandedatseasonsgreetings Mon 06-Dec-10 00:07:54

I think the movie is the Princess and the Frog, it is set in New Orleans. She is still thin and big eyed though.

MrManager Mon 06-Dec-10 00:08:54

There hasn't been a white Disney princess for almost 20 years.

MrManager Mon 06-Dec-10 00:12:56

Just realised my last post came off as a bit 'it's political correctness gone mad', so just to clarify it's a 30 Rock' quote.

strandedatseasonsgreetings Mon 06-Dec-10 00:13:43

Errr Repunzel looks pretty white to me!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: