Talk

Advanced search

To think about taking dd to the hairdressers?

(15 Posts)
Unrulysun Sun 05-Dec-10 19:54:46

I mean while they cut my hair?

Can you do this? Is this a complete no no? Is there a way round it?

There's nobody close by enough to babysit and I get to see so little of dh as it is. I really don't want to use the precious weekend for this but I have to get it cut - I'm turning into Shaggy (Scooby Doo Shaggy - not the other one)

fifitot Sun 05-Dec-10 20:00:19

I always take my baby who usually sleeps in his pushchair lulled by the sound of hairdryers. i have no babysitter either. I even BF him once on the couch.

Ask them if they don't mind - sure they wont'.

PatFig Sun 05-Dec-10 20:01:53

I dont see why not I take DS to the pub and he sleeps quite happily in his pushchair

how old is dd? does she ever sit still?could you bribe her with stickers?grin

Unrulysun Sun 05-Dec-10 20:07:05

She's six months. I normally carry her around in a sling and she's usually brilliantly behaved <tempts fate> am very intrigued that other people do this. Am just wondering if she'd be ok in pushchair given that she'd normally be on my knee when we're out and about. Haven't trained her for this clearly

AgentZigzag Sun 05-Dec-10 20:12:41

My DD2 is 11 months old, and she's always come with me to the hairdressers.

I only have a quick trim, but she loves looking about at everything and has been fine.

The anticipation of it is worse, if she cries though there's usually loads of lovely people to coo at her smile

MumNWLondon Sun 05-Dec-10 20:33:46

DS2 is 7.5 months. I schedule haircut during his sleep time. Took him in car seat (he feel asleep in car), he slept through haircut.

Must warn you though, when DD was 4 months she woke up and I ended up BFing during the haircut!

Unrulysun Sun 05-Dec-10 20:44:38

Well that's the question really I suppose - can one bf during a haircut or is the resulting hairy baby too unpleasant?

Am a bit of a hippy and I think sling and lack of car make this more difficult... grin

Hmmmmmm - will call salon and ask. It's quite a glam place but we are in SW so tykes abound. Some well chosen toys and a visit to a cafe beforehand to fill child up and we might be ok. [trepidation]

umm,we 'sling' too,and dd wouldnt have been happy about being in a pram..that said ds would be fine,just watching..id say,bring something to chomp on (that includes your boob) and something to 'do'.she might like watching,my niece is obsessed with hairdressers grin

MistressMaker Sun 05-Dec-10 20:49:58

I took mine once but phoned them first to check if they minded.

I was a slow day and two of them spent the entire appt entertainhing her and tickling her with the dusting brushes. She loved it!

MeowyChristmasEveryone Sun 05-Dec-10 20:50:18

Surely baby will be under the gown that protects your clothes from the hair - not too closely of course, baby needs to be able to breathe, but if you address this as a foregone conclusion then that's that, isn't it?!?!

Look at it logically - you have a baby, there is no-one to look after the baby during your hair appointment, so baby goes to the hairdresser's in sling, if she wakes up and is unsettled then you feed her, surely a baby breastfeeding is far better than a baby screaming!

ChippingIn Sun 05-Dec-10 20:51:21

I would take her and I certainly wouldn't be asking - you are paying them, not the other way around!

If she is unsettled there will be someone who is only too happy to have a cuddle!

Dexterrocks Sun 05-Dec-10 20:55:03

If it is a glam salon there is a high chance there are a few trainees, assistants hanging around to assist your hairdresser. They may well have a great time playing with dc while you get hair cut.
I often took mine. They sat on my knee, in car seat, played with assistant, all sorts.
Just make sure you tip if an assistant does help out and they will be rushing to help again next time.
I also took dd with me when I went for a facial and the beautician gave her the drawer full of nail varnishes to play with. She had a great time and the beautician gave me a little back massage as well for a freebie!

Southwestwhippet Sun 05-Dec-10 21:03:18

I took my DD to the hairdressers when she was small - 8wks I think. Also BF her whilst I was having my hair cut. The hairdresser was a bit concerned that she was cutting hair into her face grin

Last time DP looked after her but brought her in for a feed about half way through the cut - was in for hours as go to the cheap training salon.

Unrulysun Sun 05-Dec-10 21:06:31

Fantastic! This means we can use dh's day off (day before my b'day) for him to buy me presents rather than fitting this in.

Thanks fir the advice - MN knows everything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now