Talk

Advanced search

god my mother is an unsympathetic old grouch

(27 Posts)
Reality Sun 05-Dec-10 19:06:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ItalianLady Sun 05-Dec-10 19:08:08

YABU because you must know what she is like by now.

Don't waste your energy being mad at her. Get the kids to bed and get yourselves an early night.

Hope you feel better soon.

christmasheave Sun 05-Dec-10 19:09:22

Maybe its a mother thing as mine can't do sympathy to save her life.
YANBU to hope for sympathy, but probably VBU to expect it!

nickytwotimes Sun 05-Dec-10 19:09:26

yanbu.

colds are fucking horrid

proudfoot Sun 05-Dec-10 19:11:35

What on earth does it have to do with her? I don't see why she feels the need to make any comments, and not sure what Christmas has to do with it confused I would also be annoyed, YANBU

callaird Sun 05-Dec-10 19:18:12

My mum is exactly the same, never has any sympathy of anyone is ill, but god firbid we don't make endless cups of tea, take round magazines/sudoku books, and make fuss, no-one cares!

I just don't tell her if I am ill anymore. Have had a cough for 8 weeks, saw her last sat, she said you never mentioned you had a cough!

I give up!

Reality Sun 05-Dec-10 19:19:55

SantasENormaSnob Sun 05-Dec-10 19:24:08

envy at your lie in.

I was up at 7 with the hangover of doom.

peeringintothevoid Sun 05-Dec-10 19:27:57

YANBU. We have also had The Cold, and it's fucking rotten. Save this injustice for next time your umsympathetic mum is ill.. grin

Goingspare Sun 05-Dec-10 19:38:46

It is a Very Bad Cold here too.

If you get the opportunity to sleep it off, good on you.

my mother is the same it is always worse for her,doesnt matter what it is...i just dont tell her anything anymore,that way,you cant feel let down.

hope you feel better soon.grin

<<pats reality on the head>>

Reality Sun 05-Dec-10 20:23:35

OmniaParatus Sun 05-Dec-10 20:25:04

You have all my sympathy. I hope you feel better soon grin.

I'm the child of hypochondriacs, you dare not mention your illness or it is viewed as competition. Said to my mum once, after pushing a pram up a steep hill for 15 min when 7 months pg that I had a sore back. She replied, 'Oooh, so do I, do you think it is a virus?' hmm

my dad once caught a 'tummy bug' from me he was dying in bed for 3 days...funny that,i had no idea period cramps were catching...hmm

agedknees Sun 05-Dec-10 20:47:19

If I was your mum I would have been over to your house and taken the dc for the day.

Hope you feel better soon. Lots of rest, fluids and paracetamol.

can you be my mum please ive always wanted a mum like that..sad

Horton Sun 05-Dec-10 20:52:20

I also want agedknees for my mum!

Hope you feel better soon, Reality. And please consider yourself patted on the head.

2rebecca Sun 05-Dec-10 20:56:09

YANBU. If my mum had been like that I wouldn't have bothered phoning her much and when I did would have given minimal information, or would have said something like "fine mum, that's the last time I discuss my health with you" "Isn't there alot of snow for the time of year?"

fruitful Sun 05-Dec-10 21:26:01

Oh well, you know what to say next time she is ill, don't you? "You're pathetic Mum, just toughen up ... "

poobumfartbollocks Sun 05-Dec-10 21:39:37

Are you looking for sympathy Reality?

You do know the only place you'll get sympathy in this house is in the dictionary, right between shit and syphillis

grin

Timeforabiscuit Sun 05-Dec-10 21:45:56

YANBU - all mums provide chicken soup its written somewhere [stomps off to find exact book]

Hope you feel better soon - First Defence is great

BitOfFun Sun 05-Dec-10 21:50:26

I am horrified that your mother thinks it's perfectly acceptable to call your house at ten in the morning on a Sunday shock

Jeez. The only time my mother would catch me up at 10am would be if I hadn't gone to bed yet.

Reality Sun 05-Dec-10 21:50:31

Reality Sun 05-Dec-10 21:50:49

methodsandmaterials Sun 05-Dec-10 21:52:11

<<prepares hot toddy, plumps up pillows, restocks fruit basket>>
That better?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now