Talk

Advanced search

to give Champagne as a wedding present...

(20 Posts)
LittlePickleHead Sun 05-Dec-10 17:38:06

... to a couple who are about to emigrate to the other side of the world?

I'm off to the evening reception of a wedding this evening. Pretty skint at the moment and we are not close friends of the couple (obviously as we are only evening guests!)

I'm going to give them a bottle of champagne that work gave me blush

I've just realised though that they will have hardly any time to drink it before they go, and obviously they can't take it with them.

Is it unreasonable? They've asked for money but I don't have any to spare, plus I hate giving money as I wouldn't be able to give enough for it to not look pathetic! No time to get anything else as I'm at work and going straight from here.

Thoughts??

belgo Sun 05-Dec-10 17:38:46

It's fine. Have a nice time.

warthog Sun 05-Dec-10 17:40:57

yes absolutely fine.

LittlePickleHead Sun 05-Dec-10 17:41:38

Succint, I like it!

I really shouldn't worry so much, should I...

KerryMumblesFaints Sun 05-Dec-10 17:43:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Kitty81 Sun 05-Dec-10 17:46:11

Dh and I got a few bottles of champagne. Have kept a couple of the posher ones, we drank one on our first anniversary, and have another in the kitchen to wet our baby's head with (coming up in April).

The rest were finished within 2 weeks of the wedding. Once shared with friends and family, ime a bottle of fizz can go down in, ooh, about half an hour? They'll have plenty of time. Isn't there always time for champagne? Or is that just me?

Sounds like a lovely gift. Go for it

LittlePickleHead Sun 05-Dec-10 17:47:45

What counts as cheap (panic!)

It's Lanson, that's mid range?

I'm keeping the Veuve for myself, thanks!

celticlassie Sun 05-Dec-10 17:48:05

I would not hesitate to give champagne. They'll surely be having going away drinks? They can't be leaving the next morning?

LittlePickleHead Sun 05-Dec-10 17:48:38

I agree Kitty, I would drink it all the time if I could!

LittlePickleHead Sun 05-Dec-10 17:50:00

No not leaving the next morning, but the groom is going back first (he's already moved over and is back for the wedding) and the bride is joining him next month.

I guess she could drink it on her own!

LoveMyGirls Sun 05-Dec-10 17:50:04

I'd give it, we were drinking champagne the next morning, we went to the room to help clear it and then came back her to eat whatever was left of the food and drink champagne grin

MadamDeathstare Sun 05-Dec-10 17:50:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LittlePickleHead Sun 05-Dec-10 18:07:49

Thanks all, will give the gift with pride!

I'm off to dance (badly) and try not to get ridiculously drunk on a Sunday night...

DrSeuss Sun 05-Dec-10 18:18:11

I was given a bottle of champagne, with instructions to have it on our first anniversary. A lovely present, I thought, which would be a treat to enjoy at a later date. The only other thing I can think of is cash in the currency of their new country which lacks the romance of champagne!

curlymama Sun 05-Dec-10 18:21:13

Give them the champagne, it's absolutely fine.

Mowiol Sun 05-Dec-10 18:32:30

We were given champagne and two champagne flutes years ago - thought it was a lovely gift.

BrandyButterPie Sun 05-Dec-10 18:36:05

Of course it is ok! Lots of people didn't bring anything to ours at all, that is absolutely fine, especially if you are evening only - but a token is lovely

celticlassie Sun 05-Dec-10 18:36:56

That's true actually, I gave some to a colleague whose wedding I wasn't attending - I got a nice picture message of the champagne breakfast they were having the next morning.

Hulababy Sun 05-Dec-10 18:39:19

Of course it is okay. I am sure they are more interested in youbeing able to come and celebrate their wedding with them rather than how much cash you put in an envelope.

Champagne is always a welcome gift here, lol.

SantasENormaSnob Sun 05-Dec-10 19:01:43

It's fine.

Think they abu to request cash only especially to evening only invitation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now