Talk

Advanced search

igloo

(32 Posts)
algor Sun 05-Dec-10 13:45:20

Am I being oh so mean to not allow my husband and DS (8 and 9) to sleep out in an igloo they have spent the day building
. Has any one else done this? Will they lose their fingers to frostbite? help I need to make a decision soon!

violethill Sun 05-Dec-10 13:50:17

If it's a properly constructed igloo, made from the correct consistency snow, no, they won't get frostbite. They should be warm. They should also be wrapped in fur pelts mind you.

I'm assuming you don't live at the South Pole, so the answer is probably..... don't be daft.

AgentZigzag Sun 05-Dec-10 13:51:34

It's not really like sleeping out in a tent in the garden in the summer is it?

I wouldn't want to do it.

I bet if they did they'd be in within the hour when they find out it's bloody awful grin

DrSeuss Sun 05-Dec-10 13:52:04

Let them do it or you'll never hear the last of it. I give them about thirty minutes before they come back in. If you're feeling kind, maybe you could give one of them the back door key?

thumbplumpuddingwitch Sun 05-Dec-10 13:53:03

Tell you what - let them try it. They'll be in within an hour, I pretty much guarantee it. grin

mousymouse Sun 05-Dec-10 13:53:11

I would let them. they will probably be back in the house very soon

onimolap Sun 05-Dec-10 13:58:16

Sounds like your DH is barking, but this also sounds like important boy stuff. I think you shouls let them get on with it.

If you're feeling really mean, don't give them the backdoor key.

cakewench Sun 05-Dec-10 14:00:11

Go ahead and let them. As others have mentioned, they won't last long.

I'd personally be worried that it would collapse on them, as most people don't really know how to build one properly (eg with blocks of snow/ice www.squidoo.com/igloo). However I imagine it's not a huge amount of snow so it should be okay.

(and if they have properly constructed it, and the weather is still freezing, I'd absolutely say they should do it! You only live once, and how often do we get this much snow here? grin)

ilovemyfestivehens Sun 05-Dec-10 14:03:38

It might collapse on them if the snow/ice is beginning to thaw like it is here. There's also the question of damp - what are they planning to sleep on?

AgentZigzag Sun 05-Dec-10 14:31:50

In their minds their igloo is something like this.

When in reality it's probably more like this one grin

I hadn't thought about the important blokey stuff, and totally agree with onimolap. It'll probably end up being something you'll laugh about and remember for a long time (hopefully for the right reasons).

LittlePickleHead Sun 05-Dec-10 14:42:42

Oooh I'd be worried about it collapsing on them and smothering them, but then I am a ridiculous worrier so it's probably fine!

what are they going to sleep on/in?

StewieGriffinsMom Sun 05-Dec-10 14:50:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ANTagony Sun 05-Dec-10 14:52:29

Compromise - dig out the barbecue and let them cook alfresco and eat hot dogs in the igloo. Then they can decide if they are really up for spending the whole night (I would imagine that you're expected to be the one saying no and your DH is relying on this).

algor Sun 05-Dec-10 14:53:27

Am actually pretty impressed by how igloo looks and dont think it is in any danger of collapsing or melting!! Thank you all for kind advice and yes DH is barking. Will post tomorrow and tell whether they made it through the night!!!

LadyBiscuit Sun 05-Dec-10 14:55:56

SGM - you sound like British Rail The wrong kind of snow was what they used to say when the trains stopped running.

I do know what you mean though - we used to build igloos at school in Minnesota and it is very different from the pathetic stuff here

StewieGriffinsMom Sun 05-Dec-10 14:57:41

mistletoeploppy Sun 05-Dec-10 15:08:31

Marking place! My cousins built a BRILLIANT igloo but some tossers kicked it down sad. I hope they manage to stay the night in it, they'll be so proud of themselves!

MadamDeathstare Sun 05-Dec-10 15:29:21

Galena Sun 05-Dec-10 16:02:28

I want to know the end of this story too!

jazzchickens Sun 05-Dec-10 16:16:30

Oh this sounds exactly like something my DH and two DS would do if we had enough snow. My advice would be to let them do it otherwise you will always be known as the spoilsport who stood in the way of their Bear Grylls adventure and you will have to endure a night of them giving you the "evils". grin

geraldinetheluckygoat Sun 05-Dec-10 17:24:27

LOL @ "evils" grin

I am marking place as I want to know if they do it or not!

mousymouse Mon 06-Dec-10 10:32:55

algor how did it go?

thumbplumpuddingwitch Mon 06-Dec-10 12:54:37

Oh yes - do come back and tell us - did they stay in it for any length of time, or did your DH think better of it in the end?

glitzy Mon 06-Dec-10 13:17:39

Algor... did they make the night?

algor Mon 06-Dec-10 17:21:31

Success for all. They went out at 9pm and returned very cheery and thrilled at 6.45 in the morning. No frostbite or smothering in snow, just 3 very happy adventurers and i am now the best mummy in the world for saying yes (well was the best but after another day off school and all stuck at home together I have a feeling my crown has slipped!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now