Talk

Advanced search

to put an Infant Car Seat in the road...

(10 Posts)
NonnoMum Sat 04-Dec-10 21:31:48

in a rural area, and when the unsuspecting passing motorists stop to check on it, leap out of the bushes with a placard stating...

DO NOT CLUTTER UP MY INBOX WITH SCAREMONGERING STORIES ABOUT LONE MOTORISTS BEING AMBUSHED BY BADDIES PREYING ON KINDLY LONE DRIVERS CHECKING UP ON RANDOM INFANT CAR SEATS.

Because I do not believe this story has ever happened, and I do not believe this story is still being peddled and I can't believe how many relatively intelligent people are still sending me this malarkey....

AgentZigzag Sat 04-Dec-10 21:44:55

The people who are sending it are doing it for kind reasons, it's easy for them to send it and easy for you to delete it.

I don't know whether it's true (I'll have a google) but there was a story going round that some blokes were driving at night with their lights off, and they shot at drivers who flashed to tell them.

Is that an urban myth?

MadamDeathstare Sat 04-Dec-10 21:47:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DitaVonCheese Sat 04-Dec-10 22:13:26

YANBU. I usually send back a link from a hoax-busting website and oddly don't get many of these crappy bits of nonsense any more. They are not forwarding them because they're being kind, they're forwarding them because it's easy to do without stopping for a single second to think about it.

Though it did actually happen to a friend of a friend's sister in about 1991 wink

NonnoMum Sat 04-Dec-10 22:18:38

Purlease give me the link to the hoax busting website...

DitaVonCheese Sat 04-Dec-10 22:37:35

Snopes is good but there are loads if you google hoax buster or similar

DitaVonCheese Sat 04-Dec-10 22:40:08

See here too

MadamDeathstare Sun 05-Dec-10 00:47:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Funkychunkymunky Sun 05-Dec-10 01:02:24

Definitely an urban myth

AgentZigzag Sun 05-Dec-10 01:12:01

Looks like there were a couple of incidents that might have sparked it.

No wonder it took off though, the number of police passing it on to one another is a bit shocking given that they're supposed to go on what the evidence says.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now