Talk

Advanced search

to feel less sympathy for this woman than anyone I have ever read about?

(71 Posts)
PercyPigPie Sat 04-Dec-10 18:29:36

I am sure this link must have been posted before (& I hasten to add that I am not a Daily Mail reader and couldn't even read this to the end, I was so irritated by the writer), but how bloody stupid are some people?

Anyone with half an ounce of intelligence knew boom times wouldn't go on for ever. Why then, would someone with an income of £1200 a week not be investing part of that.

I know lots of hard working families are suffering from current difficult times, but I think it will be interesting to see what other lightweight, air-headed fluffs see their lives crumble like this stupid woman.

NurseSnowflake Sat 04-Dec-10 18:34:38

You haven't posted the link.

PercyPigPie Sat 04-Dec-10 18:37:04

sorry, link here

Doigthebountyeater Sat 04-Dec-10 18:39:49

She is an idiot.

LadyBiscuit Sat 04-Dec-10 18:41:03

There's already a thread but I agree entirely

Portofino Sat 04-Dec-10 18:41:24

There is already a thread about HER!

PercyPigPie Sat 04-Dec-10 18:44:37

Had just stumbled across that thread in chat blush. Not got a lot of people defending her, has she!

radstar Sat 04-Dec-10 18:45:45

my first biscuit!

Marjee Sat 04-Dec-10 18:47:16

You're being too harsh, the poor thing only earns £500 per week!

tummytickler Sat 04-Dec-10 18:47:32

I think I she is spoilt.

christmasheave Sat 04-Dec-10 18:50:18

OK, I've tried about 10 times now to write a considered reply, but the words stick in my throat.

I'm very sorry that her two properties in London and the Country House have left her struggling on her £500 a week writers income (no mention of DHs income). It IS a bummer that she's having to economise and it is actually harder to manage the expectations of children who have had it all and now have to live like most of the rest of the country do.

However there's a heck of a lot of people who were at the level she is at now and are now much worse off. I don't consider myself badly off, but my children are clothed by ASDA as a matter of course.

There is always someone worse off than you. I know damn well that out there, there are many who are much worse off than me. Hundreds of people who are not sat comfortably on a sofa in a warm living room on a laptop with a mug of tea. That's why you don't see me writing in the Daily Fail about it.

roundtable Sat 04-Dec-10 18:55:29

Is that a joke? A shining example of why I can't stand the Daily Mail.

lalalonglegs Sat 04-Dec-10 19:20:39

To be fair, she was investing her wages while she was living high on the hog - she poured them into an unspecified business and bought some properties but their values crashed and presumably the business isn't making that much money. I agree the tone of the article is irritating but lots of people probably felt she was being reasonably sensible at the time.

LaurieFairyonthetreeEatsCake Sat 04-Dec-10 19:24:23

she doesn't have 2 properties - she has 4

one of which has the mortgage paid off and it's worth 1.5 million

are you sure you can't muster up some sympathy now grin

lennythelion Sat 04-Dec-10 19:27:15

She is a twit

celticlassie Sat 04-Dec-10 19:30:03

I feel very sorry for her. She must be in dire straits if Boden - "that reliable stand-by of well-to-do mums in the Home Countiesgrin" is starting to look expensive.

LadyBiscuit Sat 04-Dec-10 19:32:09

Laurie - how do you know she has paid her mortgage off???

olderandwider Sat 04-Dec-10 19:35:36

Journalists write for money. She obviously wrote that piece to be controversial and therefore generate some website traffic for the Mail. She is only as good as her last piece of published writing, so she needs to make it juicy.

Sure she know every word she writes will be making many folk feel contempt or even some spiteful sense of satisfaction.

So, I would take it with a massive pinch of salt, especially if, as Lauriefairy says, she has a property worth £1.5m.

LaurieFairyonthetreeEatsCake Sat 04-Dec-10 19:36:09

She has 4 houses but only 3 mortgages wink

I did the maths......grin

LadyBiscuit Sat 04-Dec-10 19:42:21

I think the red mist must have been obscuring that in my reading. So wtf is she doing in a rented flat then? Presumably it's more lucrative for her to live there than to move into one of the houses she's renting out for squillions hmm

3beagles Sat 04-Dec-10 19:44:13

Even her daughter doesn't sound very nice. What a shame that she (mother) hasn't managed to spend a bit of her wodge of cash on some ettiquette/manners lessons.

<pursed lips>

ilovehens Sat 04-Dec-10 19:44:25

the poor dahling, you are being very hard on her, she must be suffering without her ribbons hmm

3beagles Sat 04-Dec-10 19:46:20

Oh and the poor people who only have £50 to spend on their DD when DD wants an iPad.

AN IPAD????

I work, my DH works and we wouldn't dream of even us having one, never mind a teenager as an xmas gift!

What greedy nasty people they all are.

<face implodes from severe pursing of lips>

onceamai Sat 04-Dec-10 19:49:13

Sorry - I think you are all being very unfair. This is a working woman who has made some bad economic decisions. If this was about dp's or run of of the mill jobs, you would all be being incredibily supportive. Yes it's relative but relativity can hurt all the same, as can the sheer drop from expectations. I really don't think this lady's situation is any different from a woman who, under this coalition, may be about to lose a benefit or two and the impact on her children is potentialy as great and as palpable.

LaurieFairyonthetreeEatsCake Sat 04-Dec-10 19:51:27

I do not think the impact on her children is potentially as great hmm

An Ipad down to a £50 present?

Or losing benefits and moving from eating and paying the gas bill to erm........either only. hmm

You daftie.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now