Talk

Advanced search

to hate email/facebook post christmas cards?

(9 Posts)
Trifle66 Sat 04-Dec-10 15:36:39

I really get the hump when my friends send a general email/ facebook post instead of a card under the intention that they'd rather give the money to charity. the whole point of cards is to personally tell a friend that you are thinking of them this christmas and to keep in touch. I find its usually my friends who can't be bothered to send cards that op for the charity thing - in the process acting smug and superior to those selfish people who send cards! Id rather they didn't send any and not tell everyone how brilliant they are!

mangoandlime Sat 04-Dec-10 16:27:12

I find it a right royal PITA writing Christmas cards. Saying that, I don't think I'd have the nerve to wimp out.

At least you're spared the Round Robin..But that's a whole other thread !

HecTheHallsWithBoughsOfHolly Sat 04-Dec-10 16:33:44

I thought cards were for people you rarely saw? Sending cards to people you see every day, or every week or something seems a bit pointless, imo.

jazzchickens Sat 04-Dec-10 16:49:44

Much better not to send a card than to send one out of a sense of duty. A few years ago I would have sent cards to colleagues & neighbours just so as not to offend! Not to mention all the cards to teachers & classmates when the DC were little. It was bonkers.
Now I only send to friends and family who live a distance away and whom we probably would not get to see over the Xmas period.

pjmama Sat 04-Dec-10 16:54:34

Personally I don't care how someone wishes me happy christmas, if they choose not to waste paper and give the money to a worthy cause instead then that's fine by me. If they prefer to send a card then that's fine too.

MrManager Sat 04-Dec-10 16:55:29

Maybe that's the point of cards for you, but to other people (I'd say most people) they're just a Christmas chore tradition. If email means it can be done quicker, I'm all for it.

And why does an email version necessarily exclude "personally tell[ing] a friend that you are thinking of them this christmas and to keep in touch"?

SeaTrek Sat 04-Dec-10 17:14:47

I don't send cards to people that I keep in regular contact with, and will either be able to wish them a 'Merry Christmas' in person, on the phone or on facebook.

If the contact I will have with someone all year is a Christmas greeting them I do send a card in that case and a few lines. I love recieving those kind of cards, too. The rest I could gladly do without - all seems a bit pointless.

JustKeepSparkling Sat 04-Dec-10 17:18:03

Last year i didn't send any cards at all, big thing for me, usually sends loads. (plus round robin i'm ashamed to say)

This year i'm thinking i CBA, and the world didn't end last year.

So, i'm only sending cards to those people who aren't on my FB and I don't have email addresses for.

Cuts it down to about 10/15 which is manageable and not such a chore.

Saying that i haven't started yet!

panettoinydog Sat 04-Dec-10 17:33:46

I can't be bothered with email cards. I'd rather they just sent me an email with a bit of chat in it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: