Talk

Advanced search

to think that it's more than the thought that counts

(7 Posts)
LittleAmy Sat 04-Dec-10 10:46:36

DH is suggesting buying his nephiew and neices a £4 t-shirt for Christmas. Am I crazy to be embarrassed to sign my name to that?

bigchris Sat 04-Dec-10 10:48:24

Is he skint? Are the tshirts nice? Could you wrap it up and add a selection box?

AmyFarrahFowler Sat 04-Dec-10 10:48:59

Not if its a nice t-shirt and he/his parents will like it. How old is your DN?

Do you normally buy much bigger gifts? I guess if you normally buy him £30 worth of present it might look a bit weird but then if you are doing smaller presents for everyone it won't look out of place.

LittleAmy Sat 04-Dec-10 10:49:48

This is the first time we've bought for them. The ages are 1, 2 and 5.

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Sat 04-Dec-10 10:54:21

I think as long as there is thought then no it is not more than the thought that counts.

My exMIL is the type that would buy something because it was £4 not because it was something the recipient would love.
eg. Asda had Toy story T-shirts for about £4 DS1 would adore 1 one of them and nobody would bat an eye lid that it was £4. Ex-MIL would but something 5 sizes 2 big and with Barbie on the front or soemthing because it was cheap.

I am the type of person don't care whether it is 50p or £50 as long as it is thoughtful towards the person getting it.

LaWeaselMys Sat 04-Dec-10 10:57:46

Bung in some chocolate if you're not sure, but as long as they are nice tees I think it's fine. Especially since you haven't bought anything before.

AmyFarrahFowler Sat 04-Dec-10 11:00:03

Sorry, I didn't clock that he was buying a t-shirt for all of them. I think a t-shirt is fine for younger kids but by the time they get to 5 I think they'r probably prefer something more exciting.

Don't feel you have to spend more though, and get a gift receipt so they can exchange it if they want to.

As a rule of thumb, we budget approx £20-25 for adults and about £10 for nephews/nieces in the family.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: