Talk

Advanced search

to think that it's more than the thought that counts

(7 Posts)
LittleAmy Sat 04-Dec-10 10:46:36

DH is suggesting buying his nephiew and neices a £4 t-shirt for Christmas. Am I crazy to be embarrassed to sign my name to that?

bigchris Sat 04-Dec-10 10:48:24

Is he skint? Are the tshirts nice? Could you wrap it up and add a selection box?

AmyFarrahFowler Sat 04-Dec-10 10:48:59

Not if its a nice t-shirt and he/his parents will like it. How old is your DN?

Do you normally buy much bigger gifts? I guess if you normally buy him £30 worth of present it might look a bit weird but then if you are doing smaller presents for everyone it won't look out of place.

LittleAmy Sat 04-Dec-10 10:49:48

This is the first time we've bought for them. The ages are 1, 2 and 5.

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Sat 04-Dec-10 10:54:21

I think as long as there is thought then no it is not more than the thought that counts.

My exMIL is the type that would buy something because it was £4 not because it was something the recipient would love.
eg. Asda had Toy story T-shirts for about £4 DS1 would adore 1 one of them and nobody would bat an eye lid that it was £4. Ex-MIL would but something 5 sizes 2 big and with Barbie on the front or soemthing because it was cheap.

I am the type of person don't care whether it is 50p or £50 as long as it is thoughtful towards the person getting it.

LaWeaselMys Sat 04-Dec-10 10:57:46

Bung in some chocolate if you're not sure, but as long as they are nice tees I think it's fine. Especially since you haven't bought anything before.

AmyFarrahFowler Sat 04-Dec-10 11:00:03

Sorry, I didn't clock that he was buying a t-shirt for all of them. I think a t-shirt is fine for younger kids but by the time they get to 5 I think they'r probably prefer something more exciting.

Don't feel you have to spend more though, and get a gift receipt so they can exchange it if they want to.

As a rule of thumb, we budget approx £20-25 for adults and about £10 for nephews/nieces in the family.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now