Talk

Advanced search

to think that total instruction for making toast is not necessary

(9 Posts)
pastaplease Sat 04-Dec-10 09:24:35

I've been feeling ill, so I asked DP to "Put a slice of toast on" for DD.

He put the bread in the toaster and then left it. Bread popped up, so I finished it off and DD's now munching away.

When DP came back I asked him why he hadn't buttered it etc for her. He said that I hadn't told him to do so.

AIBU to think that this is an instruction too far, or would you have taken this to mean the same as he did?

Thanks.

thisisyesterday Sat 04-Dec-10 09:26:11

hmmm yes, if you said "put a slice of toast on" i would assume that you just wanted it putting in the toaster

if you'd said "can you make her some toast" i would have done the whole lot

that said... if you had said the first and i had been in the kitchen anyway i'd have finished it off!

pastaplease Sat 04-Dec-10 09:28:35

Ah, thanks thisisyesterday. I've barked at him about it, but I suspect I'm being unreasonable!

Like you, I would have just finished the job anyway.

gorionine Sat 04-Dec-10 09:30:24

I would have done the same as him and just put a toast on if you had asked to put a toest on. If you had said "make a toast for Dd2 I wiould have waited for it to ppop uo, akked Dd what she wanted on it and done it for her.

LessonsinL Sat 04-Dec-10 09:49:43

YANBU, I crack down on that behaviour straight away if my DP tries it. A stern look and a "really?" usually does it.

cumfy Sat 04-Dec-10 11:18:01

When DP came back

Where had he gone ?

TiggyD Sat 04-Dec-10 11:58:48

Maybe he needs to go on some kind of 'toast awareness' course.

pastaplease Sat 04-Dec-10 12:53:40

Yes, I've been thinking about researching a course for some time now.

He'd been upstairs. Mooching.

Frazzledmumwithsmudgedmascara Sat 04-Dec-10 13:03:07

I think YANBU; my DH claims to need step-by-step instructions for anything domestic too. I can leave a 6ft high pile of clean washing on the stairs but he doesn't take it up because I "didn't tell him to"

I agree with Tiggy; a Toast Awareness course is in order!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: