Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to love Dolly Parton

(39 Posts)
USoRight Fri 03-Dec-10 22:37:52

Yes I know - the boobs, the plastic surgery, Dollyland. Every feminists idea of a freak.

But she's sweet, funny, self effacing, kind, generous and talented.

here

RipMacWinkle Fri 03-Dec-10 22:38:55

YANBU.

You can't beat a bit of Dolly.

I've been to see her live. Love her chat. Could listen to her for ages.

iceandlemon Fri 03-Dec-10 22:44:40

Ooh no not at all! She's quite an inspiration when you think of the background she comes from.

JingleBelleDameSansMerci Fri 03-Dec-10 22:46:32

YANBU at all. She's fabulous.

MarianneM Fri 03-Dec-10 22:49:15

Dolly Parton is great! A very good musician and songwriter, and she sounds a lovely person too. I think she IS a feminist!

fightingthezombies Fri 03-Dec-10 22:52:12

YANBU I think she's fantastic. Was brought up listening to Dolly (and Johnny) and my ds now loves singing along to her songs too.

Scuttlebutter Fri 03-Dec-10 22:53:43

Dolly is a feminist icon. As she herself says, "I'm not dumb, and I'm surely not a blonde". grin She is a highly talented musician, singer, actress and businesswoman. She has done an enormous amount of good in her local area by building Dollywood and creating employment. She is hugely supportive of children's literacy and rewards family members who graduate high school. She is a consummate professional who is also very realistic about what she does and is proud of her roots and her family. She is one of my heroines.

When I had cancer, I made myself two promises. One was that I would see an entire Ring Cycle and the other was that I would go to Dollywood. I've done the Ring Cycle and it was brilliant, and am waiting to go to Dollywood and expect it to be brilliant as well.

strandedatseasonsgreetings Fri 03-Dec-10 22:56:11

I don't mind Dolly Psrton but please don't start singing the praises of Country and Western music

Rannaldini Fri 03-Dec-10 22:58:02

jolene jolene jolene joleeeeeene

KittyFoyle Fri 03-Dec-10 22:58:05

I love Dolly, country AND western. I saw her live in a crowd with loads of trannies. I never realised how many instruments she can play. Amazing. And even more amazing to play them with 10 inch nails.

pink4ever Fri 03-Dec-10 23:00:15

I love love love dolly!!(and loads of other country and western ladies,patsy,tammy etc). I play jolene loads(one of my all time faves) and my 4 year old dd loves it too!

nameymcnamechange Fri 03-Dec-10 23:00:29

Yanbu. I have many posts here in Mumsnetland in praise of Dolly.

I Will Always Love You is a sweet, simple ballad, very moving. Not a great honking power thing as per Whitney.

icapturethecastle Fri 03-Dec-10 23:04:19

YANBU - I love love Here you come again. My favourite song since about the age of 5 when my sister got a Dolly album for christmas.

mintyaero Fri 03-Dec-10 23:05:19

Let's post loads of Dolly songs! yay!

JaceyBee Fri 03-Dec-10 23:09:22

YANBU. Dolly is fab.

strandedatseasonsgreetings Fri 03-Dec-10 23:13:26

when i did my aibu for hating country and western thread (MN jury split roughly 50/50) there was a call for Dolly to come on MN for a webchat. Perhaps you should start petitioning MN Towers?

USoRight Sat 04-Dec-10 10:52:16

Am thrilled to bits people love Dolly too and can look at the real person beyond the glitz (actually I like that too)

Thought there would be lots of posts slating her! My faith in MN is restored!

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Sat 04-Dec-10 10:56:14

YANBU Dolly is ace, I get quite annoyed and DH when he disses Dolly.
Even dd (aged 7) loves Dolly Parton.

forehead Sat 04-Dec-10 10:56:15

I love Dolly, she's more intelligent than people give her credit for and she's a great interviewee.

ememum Sat 04-Dec-10 11:05:28

I'm amazed you even ask. I thought she was widely regarded as a feminist icon. She's amazing.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

USoRight Sat 04-Dec-10 11:12:05

Phew! I am not a freak then!

PlentyOfParsnips Sat 04-Dec-10 11:38:08

I love Dolly too. Extremely talented musician with a voice that sends tingles down my spine.

begonyabampot Sat 04-Dec-10 11:41:00

Dolly is da bomb! How could you not love Dolly?

joydivisionovengloves Sat 04-Dec-10 17:56:35

YANBU. Dolly is a legend!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now