Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think that people who go shopping whilst under the weather

(20 Posts)
RandyRussian Fri 03-Dec-10 15:31:26

And spread their germs around willy-nilly should be boiled in oil?

Went to Sainsburys on weds to top up the pantry before the big freeze and have now developed an utter stinker of a cold. Can't breathe,can barely swallow and constantly shivering even with the heating on.

Hope their turkey gives them food poisoning,the pudding burns and the cake sinks.

Nothing personal you understand.
<<rant over>>

ItsJustMyOpinion Fri 03-Dec-10 15:36:33

Sometimes I have to go to the shops when under the weather, as we run out of important things like nappies bread and milk, and may even need to get some paracetamol etc

Also, I have always been under the impression from my doctor that you are only contagious before the symptoms show, if it is a cold virus that is.

notpartofthelifeplan Fri 03-Dec-10 15:36:39

I always go shopping when I'm unwell and do the school run etc. I haven't got an army of people to do it for me so I just get on with it like most people.

WhereToStartYetAgain Fri 03-Dec-10 15:36:45

OMG you must be the caaah who just had to go to the shops thinking she was well, only to breathe over and touch some of my future supplies with your nasty incubating soon-to-be cold! I hate you!

See, kind of goes both ways wink

pointydog Fri 03-Dec-10 15:40:21

yab bizarrely u.

You're going to get a bad cold every so often if you mix with people.

coatgate Fri 03-Dec-10 15:44:28

biscuit

KaraStarbuckThrace Fri 03-Dec-10 15:45:15

YABU and mean spirited.

Marne Fri 03-Dec-10 15:47:52

YABU, most people have colds at this time of year and still need to get food shopping, take kids to school, pop to the post office ect, i have had a cold on and off for 6 weeks, if i shut myself in my kids would go without food.

So if its just a cold YABU, if it was swine flu or a nasty tummy bug then i would agree with you.

cat64 Fri 03-Dec-10 15:50:04

Message withdrawn

suwoo Fri 03-Dec-10 15:51:25

I've got a nasty cold and I have just kindly shared by germs all round uni today, and Tesco too- I am that generous you see. If I don't go shopping for me and my three kids, no other fucker is going to.

biscuit

diddl Fri 03-Dec-10 15:54:50

It was only a couple of days ago, so not necessarily where you picked the cold up from.

RandyRussian Fri 03-Dec-10 15:55:01

Just me feeling sorry for myself then.

Ah well bear

colditz Fri 03-Dec-10 15:55:36

It's probably from the staff, who would be sacked if they took time off every time they had a cold.

iTigress Fri 03-Dec-10 15:56:11

I didn't know there was a biscuit

biscuit biscuit biscuit

I was told to go to doc to get a sicknote when I had swine flu. I was in recovery but very weak, and had to walk. I stopped at t'shop to get a choc bar to rejuvenate, and was sneezing everywhere. Life goes on, unfortunately. I picked the goddamn thing up from a kid I teach who was determined to come in regardless of symptoms.

Lynli Fri 03-Dec-10 15:56:16

Wear your scarf like a mask, and scrub your hands as soon as you get home.

iTigress Fri 03-Dec-10 15:57:33

YABU but I do wish people would cover their mouths when they cough/sneeze.

bigchris Fri 03-Dec-10 15:58:37

Yabu

if you live alone you don't have people to do your shopping for you

are you the type who phones in sick all winter because you've got a cold?

onimolap Fri 03-Dec-10 16:08:09

The common cold is dangerous, for example the elderly and people with cystic fibrosis and certain other conditions, and especially so as a precursor to pneumonia.

So I tend to agree that people should do all they can to avoid passing it on, including minimizing outings in the first couple of symptomatic days. And should cough/splutter/sneeze into hankies .

But, as pointed out above, you'll never be sure where you got it from (infectiousness during pre-symptomatic days etc), so you might also want to pay attention to self-protection: frequent thorough handwashing and avoiding putting fingers to your face.

RandyRussian Fri 03-Dec-10 16:26:08

I take vitamin C and echinacea (sp?) tablet every day and wash frequently.

It's okay - I'm just pissed off! Probably hormonal also! IYSWIM

GiddyPickle Fri 03-Dec-10 17:27:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: