Talk

Advanced search

to be annoyed by the old man who had a go at me for buying so much in Tesco today?

(25 Posts)
Dexterrocks Fri 03-Dec-10 14:15:19

I have been snowed in 9 days and finally escaped the house today for an exciting trip to Tesco.
The whole family has been at home all week and I have had quite a few extra kids in the house too as friends have been able to get to work locally.
We also have a dog, 4 rabbits and 5 guinea pigs here.
That is the scene set.
So...today I spent about an hour clearing snow from my husband's car (mine was too deeply buried) and made the very scary 14 mile round trip to the supermarket.
By the time I got to the supermarket I had a very full trolley and an old man had a right go at me for taking things to extremes.
I know the world won't end because a grumpy old man made me his victim for the day but was I being unreasonable for doing a big shop after the weather conditions we have experienced?

AgentZigzag Fri 03-Dec-10 14:17:24

YANBU, it's got bugger all to do with anyone else what you choose to spend your money on.

There isn't a war on hmm

Lonnie Fri 03-Dec-10 14:17:45

YANBU its my pet peeve when people complain that my shop is to ful I am buying for 7 people and I dont go weekly so YES it WILl be full so what..

PerpetuallyAnnoyedByHeadlice Fri 03-Dec-10 14:18:56

unless you mugged a war veteran for the last loaf HIBU

CheeseChomper Fri 03-Dec-10 14:19:08

YANBU- I'd be well miffed and would've told him to bugger off!

chitchatinsantasear Fri 03-Dec-10 14:21:12

YANBU. I hate supermarket shopping (instore and online!) so when I do drag myself to the supermarket my trolley can barely hold everything in anyway. Wonder what the silly old git would have said to me?!!!! You should have just laughed and said "This, this is nothing! You should see my normal shop!" and just walked away laughing.

Dexterrocks Fri 03-Dec-10 14:21:40

I am seriously miffed. When you have been stuck in the house for so long even Tesco is exciting. It had really cheered me up getting out of the house and it left a really sour taste in my mouth.
perpetually tee hee - no mugging of anyone - there was no shortage of anything on the shelves!

SkiingGardeningTwinklyBauble Fri 03-Dec-10 14:24:07

Change it to a smile by being grateful you don't have to walk around being him all day! What an idiot. Of course YANBU, you are doing a sensible shop for your circumstances.

AmazingBouncingFerret Fri 03-Dec-10 14:25:59

YABU. You should of gone to Waitrose. The old men in there help you push the trolley around and give you recipe tips.

BongoWinslow Fri 03-Dec-10 14:26:26

YANBU at all. he sounds like a git

nocake Fri 03-Dec-10 14:31:08

I was clearing the drive yesterday when someone stopped for a chat. He was moaning about people panic buying in Sainsburys.... someone had 8 loaves in their basket shock

newmum001 Fri 03-Dec-10 14:34:55

YANBU how the hell does he know that you don't have a massive family and that wasn't just your regular shop!

HecTheHallsWithBoughsOfHolly Fri 03-Dec-10 15:18:45

Why are people never blunt in these situations?

"Why do you care, I'm not asking you to pay and I doubt a massive company like tesco is rationing goods. What I choose to buy is none of your damn business."

BabsH Fri 03-Dec-10 16:05:06

YADNBU,

I always have something pithy and amusing to say back when this happens....five mins later!!!

Dexterrocks Fri 03-Dec-10 18:39:42

Me too babsh - as soon as I have left the building!
Quite right skiing - smiling now that we are well stocked up as it is snowing here again!
nocake I only had 2 loaves - our normal amount for a weekend. I wasn't panic buying. If I was I would have filled my trolley with chocolate!

ChippingIn Fri 03-Dec-10 18:43:26

Dex I wasn't panic buying. If I was I would have filled my trolley with chocolate! LOL

There are stupid fucking people everywhere - the fact that he's old doesn't excuse him.

I would have just laughed, in that, 'you think this is a lot' way - and told him that he was free to shop for the 10 people that lived in my house if he felt so inclined!

Please don't let it upset you for one more minute - he was a fuckwit. End of.

SummerRain Fri 03-Dec-10 18:44:19

Good lord, my normal weeks shopping is sliding off the top of the troley by the time i hit the last few aisles.... i'd have needed two trollies in your situation!

In fact several families i know with 4+ children regularly fill two trollies. He'd have had a ball if he'd met any of them.

Your money, your business how it's spent = YANBU

CardyMow Fri 03-Dec-10 20:19:34

Blimey - I get through 3 loaves of bread on an average weekend, probably 6-7 loaves a week with 3 dc's lunches, plus pack-up for DP, and breakfast and lunch for me! God only knows what the grumpy old git would have said to me!

StealthPolarBear Fri 03-Dec-10 20:24:41

Everyone seems to sneer at 'panic buyers' but the snow is meant to last another week, I'm damn glad I panic bought the other day! What else are you meant to do?

2bubs4me Fri 03-Dec-10 20:27:39

What a git! Just ignore him. Its like I live in a small village on the outskirts of County Durham and I can't get to the nearest big tesco store so im having to go into the teeny co-op at the bottom of my street most nights.

Can I ask what does YAMBU mean?

StealthPolarBear Fri 03-Dec-10 20:29:35

just PMed you 2bubs

erm..you are mostly being unreasonable? Mainly? actually, I think they probably mistyped and it should have been N for not

blackeyedsusan Fri 03-Dec-10 20:30:00

Der, you are meant to eat your children obviously.

StealthPolarBear Fri 03-Dec-10 20:32:24

yes, sorry I did see the roundup. Thing is DS doesn't have much meat on him, and DD winges if we so much as try to do her vest up, don't think she'd lie still enough long enough to be cooked.

backwardpossom Fri 03-Dec-10 20:34:29

I'd have ripped his head off (not literally, you understand).

YANBU

mumbar Fri 03-Dec-10 20:46:14

I tried to buy 3 loaves in local supermarket today (co-op that was summerfield) and they have limited it to 1 loaf per customer. Had to get DS to buy 1 and get another at the newsagents next door as was picking up groceries for elderly neighbour and family down the road who have newborn and whos DH has broken his leg.

They wouldn't believe when I tried to explain this.

LOL at panic buying chocolate. Wagon wheels were on offer today £1 for 6 - bought 3 packs and 6 had gone before we got home as ran into 5 kids from our street. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now