Talk

Advanced search

dd's SW has not been to work all week cos of the snow.......

(20 Posts)
2shoesnightmarebeforechristmas Fri 03-Dec-10 13:39:22

ok in my case just mildly annoying as I need him to do a form for me and as he works in the childrens disability team, I shouldn't think anything bad will happen cos he is not there.
but it made me wonder about social workers who work in the child protection, surely the have to go in??

altinkum Fri 03-Dec-10 13:43:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

floatyjosmum Fri 03-Dec-10 14:19:39

i work in cp and one of the things you learn is dont live where you work so unfortunatley we all have a long drive in.

Managers in our authority are accessing the system from home and dealing with emergencies only.

tbh schools are open so no referrals from them and nt may professionals will be ding home visits.

but we all know when we do get in its going to be more chatic than normal!!

2shoesnightmarebeforechristmas Fri 03-Dec-10 17:15:59

why the hmm
I tried to word it in a non diggy way but can I not ask?

mumbar Fri 03-Dec-10 17:21:18

your post came across to me as concern for children in CP cases, who actually may be at more risk if they are not getting their school time.

Only a SW can answer the what happens.

2shoesnightmarebeforechristmas Fri 03-Dec-10 17:22:30

oh well
floatyjosmum thanks for explaining, just one of those things you wonder about.

BarbarianMum Fri 03-Dec-10 17:31:53

My neighbour works in child protection and couldn't get to work Wed, Thurs, or today.

We have had 2 foot of snow, roads totally impassable til today, no public transport til today, plus schools/nurseries are shut so her children are at home (his dw is a midwife and walked in - 1hr 30min each way.

It sucks but what can you do?

BarbarianMum Fri 03-Dec-10 17:32:52

his children - or possibly 'their children blush

SantasENormaSnob Fri 03-Dec-10 17:33:50

I have to walk to work in the snow (midwife)

think others should do the same tbh

BonniePrinceBilly Fri 03-Dec-10 17:37:05

Even if they live 50km away? hmm

BarbarianMum Fri 03-Dec-10 17:37:53

Surely that depends on how far and safe it is, amongst other things?

Glitterandglue Fri 03-Dec-10 17:37:59

If it's physically impossible for them to get in, then they can't get in. Or they may be able to get in to work but it's not possible to do visits.

If it is something urgent or important, the duty social worker should be able to help you anyway. Obviously for something like a form that won't be a priority [unless you are expecting him to be snowed in at home for weeks and you will need it soon] but if you have an actual problem that needs dealing with pronto, they will do their best to have someone to help you.

SuperTheoryofSuperEverything Fri 03-Dec-10 17:39:30

My aunt works in CP. Fortunately she lives right by the motorway so has managed to get into the office but they have skeleton staff.

If just a few people can't get in it has a knock on effect, court cases have been postponed and she has had huge delays when police attendance is needed, it must be very difficult.

hairyfairylights Fri 03-Dec-10 17:41:40

I'd they can't physically get there then it's tough luck. Social workers don't have magical transport that the rest of us don't have.

SantasENormaSnob Fri 03-Dec-10 17:44:37

Obv I meant within walking distance!

judasisacarrot Fri 03-Dec-10 17:49:34

I don't work CP but am frontline.

WE are mostly working from home and catching up on paperwork that is overdue due to normally prioritising the home visits.

Of course if there is an emergancy case someone will go. maybe not the case worker but whoever is able to get there.

Sadly they don't give us big 4x4's and emergancy childcare for these times so we have to manage the same as everyone else im afriad.

BonniePrinceBilly Fri 03-Dec-10 17:49:51

Anyone within walking distance is I'm sure walking, who wouldn't? I don't think I know a single person who works within walking distance of their home though.

2shoesnightmarebeforechristmas Fri 03-Dec-10 22:51:18

can I just say if the sw can't do the form, I will just contact the DLA people and explain.
I do not expect the lovely and he is lovely sw to come to work exspecialy(wow brain wave I wonder if her old sw who lives in town could do it if we get stuck for time)

huddspur Fri 03-Dec-10 22:54:14

I think they will still run key and urgent services like child protection but non-essential things may be suspended. To be fair if they can't get into the office due to the snow then it can't be helped.

altinkum Sat 04-Dec-10 10:51:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: