Talk

Advanced search

To leave 16month old DD with 17 year old aunt? QUICK ANSWERS PLS!!

(18 Posts)
anothernewname09 Fri 03-Dec-10 11:48:07

Need to go to a informal meeting with lawyer today, was going to take DD but SIL, 17, has said she would love to have her, go to the park, etc.

She is doing child development at college and is at a nursery 2 days a week. She is super sensible but she is only 17?? A minor??

Could really do with a couple of child free hours!!

TIA

Serendippy Fri 03-Dec-10 11:49:38

She is old enough to become a parent herself. No problem, leave her in her aunt's capable hands.

anothernewname09 Fri 03-Dec-10 11:50:14

Great! Thanks!

grumpybrusselsprout Fri 03-Dec-10 11:50:17

Sounds absolutely fine, sure they will have a great time!

benbon Fri 03-Dec-10 11:50:38

she will be fine.. just keep your mobile with you... i had my daughter at 18!!! never managed to break her.. shes now nearly 8!

momentsintime Fri 03-Dec-10 11:50:41

def old enough legally and sounds sensible so yeah I would. I was childminding in the summer halls at that age...

Onetoomanycornettos Fri 03-Dec-10 11:51:02

I can't see anything wrong with that whatsoever, she seems well-suited and experienced at looking after children! I'd agree with her what you were going to do: e.g. go to park or stay home for two hours, and then go. Mothers of 17 are allowed to take their own children out!

borderslass Fri 03-Dec-10 11:51:19

Leave her with her aunt I used to take my eldest niece and nephew out at 12 was babysitting them when sister and BIL went shopping every Saturday.

BaronessBomburst Fri 03-Dec-10 11:51:30

If you feel you can trust her, what's the problem about her being a 'minor'? She's not a 'minor' anyway. She's old enough to be married with a DC of her own.

Middlemarch85 Fri 03-Dec-10 11:52:10

Absolutely fine, but good advice about mobiles.

harassedinhertinselpants Fri 03-Dec-10 11:53:20

I'd def do that.

My ds2 was 15 when dd was born, and was her only babysitter for ages.

As long as you're happy with the situation, why not??

LaWeaselMys Fri 03-Dec-10 11:57:12

Unless you're outside the UK she's not a minor.

Anyway, glad everyone agrees this is fine.

Zondra Fri 03-Dec-10 11:57:15

Totally fine!
grin @ minor,though! Does anyone really regard 17 year olds as children? They legally are allowed to have kids of their own, get married, fight wars,etc.

anothernewname09 Fri 03-Dec-10 11:58:04

I'm relying on MN way to much lately to make every decision for me!!

They will be fine. I will be 15mins away. I will just have to remind them that she will get cold in the snow much quicker than they will! I have no worries with her going out in the snow, just not for massively long periods of time.

Okay thankyou for being my brain today!!

colditz Fri 03-Dec-10 11:59:07

She's doing childcare, clearly likes children, she'll be fine. The's old enough to have a child that age herself.

frakkinup Fri 03-Dec-10 11:59:41

If you think she's competent, capable and able to deal with a crisis then no problem.

If she was a feckless ninny who wouldn't know what to do if the house caught fire, as some teens are, then no I wouldn't but that's not the case.

You're happy, she's happy, in a year or so she could be registered with OFSTED as a childcarer anyway.

squarehat Fri 03-Dec-10 12:08:22

I did it, so YANBU grin

babybarrister Fri 03-Dec-10 12:09:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: