Talk

Advanced search

My Uncle refuses to put the heating on. Ever.

(18 Posts)
Reality Fri 03-Dec-10 09:56:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BunnyLebowski Fri 03-Dec-10 10:02:16

I have and Aunt and Uncle who are similar (but not quite as bad).

As a teenager I used to stay at theirs when I would go out for the night over the xmas period with my cousin and holy jeebus I used to be glad of the few pints of pernod and black I'd have sunk because their house was baltic!

You'd wake yourself up with the noise of your teeth chattering.

I used to ring my Dad to come and get me at about 7am so that I could go back home to our lovely cosy house.

I'm sure he reused teabags as well.

As with your example they're far from poor as well. It's mind-boggling to me.

Grim.

Reality Fri 03-Dec-10 10:07:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ABudafulSightWereHappyTonight Fri 03-Dec-10 10:07:20

Well I don't have much sympathy for your aunt really as she has let him away with this over the years. Cousin needs to remind him that she contributes to the heating cost and that the heating needs to go on or she could move out. He needs talking to.

mousymouse Fri 03-Dec-10 10:08:28

if she is paying rent, doesn't she have a rental contract?
if this were in a normal legal/rental setting I would recommend to contact shelter and/or the environmental health team of the council.

thighsmadeofcheddar Fri 03-Dec-10 10:12:41

My husbands grandfather never turns his heat on, claims to not be able to work the thermostat. He fully expects visitors to sit in full winter regalia while visiting. The rub is that his daughter (my MIL) pays his gas and electricity bill in full every month. I don't visit!

Onetoomanycornettos Fri 03-Dec-10 10:14:49

Lots of people in this country are proud of not using their heating in a perverse way, I have a friend who comes from a very cold part of Canada near Alaska which goes down to -30 and he says he has never been so cold in his life as when he went to stay with his in-laws near Manchester one Christmas, when they simply didn't have the central heating on. When he asked them why they had had it installed, they said to increase the value of the house!

They are proud of not using their heating, but I personally could not relax in that environment, and I bet no-one enjoys either living there (except the one person who controls it who is probably quite a warm person who doesn't feel the cold) or visiting, not really what a home is all about.

Merlotmonster Fri 03-Dec-10 11:01:30

Move out!! my Dad was like this..'put another jumper on' etc... I refuse EVER to be cold in my own home now.....

tethersjinglebellend Fri 03-Dec-10 11:10:06

As a teenager, I had a friend whose dad would allow the telly OR the lights to be on, not both.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 03-Dec-10 11:14:00

People are idiots. Why wouldn't you want to be warm and comfortable in your own home if you could afford it.

I suggest she withhold her rent money until he sees sense. If she is paying to live there she has a right to be warm!

mariepuree Fri 03-Dec-10 11:16:56

Sorry but thethers post made me guffaw!

colditz Fri 03-Dec-10 11:18:55

My dad was like this, and I now never let my thermostat slip below 17 (19 in the day).

Onetoomanycornettos Fri 03-Dec-10 11:19:57

I love the lights or telly choice. I like to snuggle up in front of a real fire on a Sat night watching a film with the lights off, but it's a bit different than having no choice!

misdee Fri 03-Dec-10 11:20:24

have the opposite problem at my parents house. they have the heating on ALL the time. yesterday there was 12 people there and the heating on full whack. i always feel sleepy and 'off' there.

TwinklePants Fri 03-Dec-10 11:27:33

My PILs do this - I love them but they're soooo stingy with the heating. I go around and keep my coat on, even though I know it's rude.

When they come over to ours they always come in and declare "it's lovely and warm in here" in the same way that you might say "are you using £50 notes to wipe your arse on again?" I csn tell they think I am being very decadent to not want to sit in my own house with my teeth chattering.

Fuchzia Fri 03-Dec-10 11:29:04

Sounds like my PIL who only use the woodburning stove in the sitting room. They spend a lots of time talking about where they can get free wood and can never walk past a skip without having a rummage. It does at least bring the family together as we huddle ever closer to the one source of heat.

Onetoomanycornettos Fri 03-Dec-10 11:44:47

Those last two post have really made me chuckle, but being freezing cold is not that funny, once it's gone in your bone, I can't actually make proper conversation. I love a wood-burning fire, but in addition to CH, not instead of!

Madinitials Fri 03-Dec-10 12:01:48

My PILs don't have heating installed, just a gas fire in the lounge and an electric heater for their bedroom but FIL is super tight. I try not to wee there in the winter as your pee freezes. He has the cheek to come over to our house and turn down the thermostat, he thinks I like the house warm because my parents come from "the tropics".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now