Talk

Advanced search

all children's gloves should be on strings

(33 Posts)
babybarrister Fri 03-Dec-10 07:47:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dracschick Fri 03-Dec-10 07:49:24

Yes we need to rush an act through parliament im sick to bloody death of lost gloves -ds1 wont lose his now (after 17 years of losing them) why?? because he bought them himself and paid £15 bloody quid.

kreecherlivesupstairs Fri 03-Dec-10 07:52:08

What a superb idea. I have just got DD her fourth (and last) pair of the year. If these go astray she'll be very cold. I could only get her a bright pink pair, she loathes pink and I wrote her name in permanent pen on the thmbs. She was very cross about it, but tough tit.

dracschick Fri 03-Dec-10 08:02:17

tough tit grin

shoshe Fri 03-Dec-10 08:06:02

I make hats scarfs and gloves sets, all my gloves are on strings, even the adults! grin

dracschick Fri 03-Dec-10 08:07:28

I buy 2 black pairs for £1 in primark ......warned ds3 that this was the last pair (id bought 6 sets the week before for 3 ds) anyway they went missing - ds incurred huge lecture from me at which point he began to cry sad but Grandads got them ........looked at Dfil to see the 80 year old 6'4 ex SAS man trying to cram his shovel like paws into ds gloves grin.

Im now wondering if that where the other 3 million pairs have gone? i know my mothers dried flower wedding bouquet is in his house,as are my new spotty tea towels he took and my scarf from when I worked at debenhams.....Fil works on the theory that all stuff is 'family' stuff wink.

bumperella Fri 03-Dec-10 09:08:57

If you don't put them on string, then how will they take part in nostalgic "do you remember...?" sessions when bored waiting around in teh winter? Is practically abusive NOT to, surely. Robbing them of a vital part of life experience.

babybarrister Fri 03-Dec-10 12:08:46

aendr Fri 03-Dec-10 12:18:24

I think all children's coats should have buttons just in the sleevews and all gloves have tabs with button holes, but that's because I hated the string-around-my-back/neck feeling.

ProcrastinationEatsTime Fri 03-Dec-10 12:19:40

YABU. Although I agree in principle.

They should be on elastic.

ProcrastinationEatsTime Fri 03-Dec-10 12:21:04

The string / elastic should be tied to the label at the nick - no string across back feeling.

ProcrastinationEatsTime Fri 03-Dec-10 12:21:30

nick??? neck

Rowgtfc72 Fri 03-Dec-10 12:24:24

My dd (3) are on elastic and tied to the hook bit.She is the only kid in her class with elastic.Tough.My mum did it to me.

goingroundthebend4 Fri 03-Dec-10 12:24:37

i sew elastic on all ds3 gloves fed up of him losing them

furryboots Fri 03-Dec-10 12:29:01

I did this for my youngest son this year for the first time, thinking he would like it, spent ages neatly stitching them on and then he looked at them in disgust and refused point blank to wear them as noone wears their gloves like that here (France) sigh I was very sad for that loss of a little bit of nostalgia....to be fair he has managed NOT to lose them so far, but has stuffed them (wet) somewhere as they have that distinctive 'wet-dog' smell, can't help thinking that wouldn't have happened if they were on elastic!

Porcelain Fri 03-Dec-10 13:04:33

I think they should be on slightly too short elastic, so they shoot up their sleeves and disappear like magic when they take them off.

ohbabybaby Fri 03-Dec-10 13:06:10

When I first started work I kept leaving my gloves on the train. For christmas my mum gave me....gloves on a string! A good look for a 22-year-old professional!

SoupDragon Fri 03-Dec-10 13:07:09

As a child I managed to end up with only one glove on my string so [shrug]

littleducks Fri 03-Dec-10 13:08:31

shoshe- link? if not allowed pls CAT me, i'm not enjoying the sewing atm

MemooMerrilyOnHigh Fri 03-Dec-10 13:11:49

stappling them on is quicker than sewing, although it can be a little messy

MemooMerrilyOnHigh Fri 03-Dec-10 13:12:31

shoshe, I'd buy some off you too! Please let me know

LunaticFringe Fri 03-Dec-10 13:15:36

BeerTricksPotter Fri 03-Dec-10 13:19:33

CommanderDrool Fri 03-Dec-10 13:21:06

By the way my friends DH is a paediatrician at a children's hospital. He once had a terrible case where a mother had put gloves on string through coat sleeves and across back. Baby fell asleep in buggy and she just put him in cot (as you do) and came back later to find he had strangled himself with the string which had somehow got wrapped round neck.

Am sure it is one of those freak accidents but I only sew gloves on short elastic to coat cuffs.

Trubert Fri 03-Dec-10 13:23:42

I thought that was why they were discontinued - because there were cases of children strangling themselves.

I do know that Mothercare etc don't stock them because they are deemed dangerous. I know this because I was trying to buy some.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: