Talk

Advanced search

to think that it is a bit rude/weird to exclaim when entering a toilet 'mm smells nice' when you have just passed the person coming out of it?

(24 Posts)
MissMashMissMash Thu 02-Dec-10 23:14:50

Why comment? What did she expect it to smell of roses?

Spidermama Thu 02-Dec-10 23:16:42

PMSL! Had you done a poo? Were you embarrassed?

She was probably thinking, 'Blimey what a stink. She knows it stinks. I know it stinks. I'd better make a joke as it would be far more embarrassing to pretend I couldn't smell anything.'

BelleDeChocChipCookieMonster Thu 02-Dec-10 23:18:08

grin Bizarre!

MissMashMissMash Thu 02-Dec-10 23:21:41

Spider yes I had. I was a bit embarrassed at first but then more confused as to why she felt the need to comment. She said it shortly after passing me so not face-to-face IYSWIM but I still very much in ear shot. Also they are unisex toilets and she was with a bloke possibly her partner and I think she was commenting to him. Very odd

Spidermama Thu 02-Dec-10 23:40:02

Oh I see. I thought this was a friend in your house!! grin

Maybe she was trying to make sure no-one thought she was responsible for the smell.

Embarrassing for you.

I had a very embarrassing incident recently involving a gorgeous man who had been checking me out on the platform at St Pancras station.

I'd gone to the loo and the person in before me, a man, had made the most incredible stink it's possible for any human to make. I nearly didn't go but was so bursting and didn't fancy a train ride all the way to Brighton bursting for the loo.

Anyway, I got back out of there as soon as I could and guess who was outside the door waiting to come in to the still stinking loo as I left? blush

I nearly said, 'It wasn't me' but knew it would be pointless and just made sure not to bother catching his eye again.

MissMashMissMash Thu 02-Dec-10 23:40:27

perhaps next time I should take air freshner in blush

Spidermama Thu 02-Dec-10 23:53:00

Absolutely not. I would rather smell rank poo than rank poo mixed with nasty air 'freshener'.

MissMashMissMash Fri 03-Dec-10 14:05:39

Good point. Although I don't think it was particularly rank poo, fairly average really. She obviously had a rather sensitive sense of smell grin

HerBeatitude Fri 03-Dec-10 14:07:43

Well maybe it did smell nice? Maybe your poo smells of roses? Maybe she's related to Gillian McKeith and is a poo connoisseur and your poo makes the grade?

MissMashMissMash Fri 03-Dec-10 21:44:46

Perhaps you're right Herbeat, I hadn't considered that she might have been beung serious. Although she didn't faint upon smelling said poo so perhaps not a relation of Gillian Mckeith grin

KurriKurri Fri 03-Dec-10 21:48:56

Bit odd - as you say why comment?, poo smells like poo, and I don't think anyone should be too surprised to encounter a poo smell in a toilet.

HerBeatitude Fri 03-Dec-10 23:12:42

Well Gillian McKeith is always astonished. ("Your poo smells terrible!")

hmc Fri 03-Dec-10 23:16:47

I had this when I was a teenager - a rather rough looking middle aged woman (one would call her a 'chav' these days if the MN police are not around to cast aspersions) commented to her daughter "farking hell - what a stink, she should be ashamed!" as I stood there washing my hands. Her daughter looked mortified and said "Shhhh - mum". I was bemused and astonised rather than upset, mingled with a touch of pride.

NestaFiesta Sat 04-Dec-10 08:43:27

YANBU. She shouldn't have said anything at all. Poo happens and its rude to comment, and nothing at all should be said if there's a risk of hurt feelings or embarrassment.

fallingandlaughing Sat 04-Dec-10 08:47:55

I don't know. Was there a glade plug-in? Did it smell as good as "Paul's house"? Maybe she just loved the smell of toilets.

(YANBU)

MyBrilliantCareer Sat 04-Dec-10 14:38:52

Light a match. I always keep a box of matches by the loo blush

whiteliesaregoodlies Sat 04-Dec-10 14:46:43

You should have said "I'd give it 10 minutes if I were you" as you exited, fanning one hand in front of your face. Then at least she would have known that entry was at her own risk.

BooBooGlass Sat 04-Dec-10 14:54:09

What would lighting a match achieve? Surely they could still smell the poo but would also be wondering if you'd been trying to light a fart? Bizarre

MyBrilliantCareer Sat 04-Dec-10 15:07:11

Apparently it burns the methane.

bintofbohemia Sat 04-Dec-10 15:14:01

ROFL @*BooBoo*! grin

HerBeatitude Sat 04-Dec-10 15:18:43

Has everybody tried to light their farts on at least one occasion?

Or is that just me? grin

pantomimecow Sat 04-Dec-10 17:39:51

It was rude and childish but it doesn't soung like she passed out of finishing school with honours! I'd have just replied 'yeah i'd give it 10 minutes'

HecTheHallsWithBoughsOfHolly Sat 04-Dec-10 17:44:33

Ah, she'll be one of these who believes that people should not actually poo in public loos.

weirdo.

spidookly Sat 04-Dec-10 17:52:35

PMSL @ HerBe

In fact, PMSL at this whole thread.

I used to share a house with a very sexist man. He was quite a sweet guy and I like him. But he had weird ideas about women.

Once he came into the loo after I had done a pretty rank poo. When he returned he said to the bloke who'd been in before me, and it was not immediately before, just earlier that day - "oh mate, what did you do in that bathroom? It was minging when I went in there!"

It was utterly beyond his comprehension that a woman could have made that smell.

A much as I wanted to, I actually couldn't bear to disabuse him of this notion.

So Spider the moral of the story is - you could have got away with it. By just looking very ladylike.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: