Talk

Advanced search

In not wanting my dds to sing this song at Brownies?

(19 Posts)
Dancergirl Thu 02-Dec-10 20:12:52

I have no idea if I'm being unreasonable or I'm just out of touch!

My older dds are both Brownies and as a pack they have been working towards their Hostess badge. This involved serving tea to all the mums last week and clearing up afterwards. All well and good so far.

However they also had to entertain us and this entailed singing a song called California Girls. I had never heard of this song before (nor had dds) but they both knew it contained something about sex and I got a few awkward questions from them. I think they stopped singing before the sex bit but they still knew about it.

Have just googled the song lyrics - it's by Katy Perry and I don't think it's suitable for 7-10 year old girls to sing, especially not at Brownies. But maybe I'm just out of touch.

southeastastra Thu 02-Dec-10 20:14:56

blimey my hostess badge only involved making tea and cake, definitely not karoke!

can they not do something festive instead?

littleducks Thu 02-Dec-10 20:18:02

this song, i would go mad

Goblinchild Thu 02-Dec-10 20:18:50

It's a crap song for preteens to sing.
Ask the leader if they get a choice, and then help them choose something more appropriate.
They might not want to though.grin

RiojaLover75 Thu 02-Dec-10 20:19:34

Totally inappropriate!

AgentZigzag Thu 02-Dec-10 20:20:34

My DD1 loves that song hmm

Sounds like it could have been 'entertainment' they arranged themselves?

YABU, you need to educate them better with some decent music grin

tomhardyismydh Thu 02-Dec-10 20:23:34

yuck. who chose it? my dd 4 sings a bit of the courus as heard on radio but at 7 i think its very inaproprite and as for sexualising well thats another thread. smile.

Goingspare Thu 02-Dec-10 20:25:07

It's the most bizarre notion of entertainment, quite apart from the propriety of it.

I only had to make sandwiches and serve cake.

Dancergirl Thu 02-Dec-10 20:26:11

Agentzigzag - believe me, I have tried to educate them. But they both said the song was rubbish without any influence from me.

asmallbunchofflowers Thu 02-Dec-10 20:26:38

I'm a Brownie leader.

On the very few occasions that I've heard Brownies singing age-inappropriate songs, they have been songs from CDs that their parents have bought for them. confused Brownies are supposed to choose their own activities for badges, but sometimes that choice can be guided (no pun intended). I'd be amazed if the Brownie leaders had chosen that song, but perhaps you could clarify that with them and suggest a suitable alternative. It won't be a successful concert if all the parents are choking on their tea!

pozzled Thu 02-Dec-10 20:30:01

I can only presume that the song was chosen by one of the girls (who then shared the lyrics with the others?). I doubt that many Brownie leaders would have suggested something like that, but I can imagine them not looking too closely at the lyrics once it was chosen.

Goblinchild Thu 02-Dec-10 20:31:11

depends what the dancing is like as well. I've seen some shocking stuff at talent shows.

maktaitai Thu 02-Dec-10 20:32:44

NOOOOOOOOO

this sort of thing makes me want to shoot myself tbh

could they not teach them 'shoals of herring', 'believe me if all these endearing young charms' 'linden lea', something like that?

needafootmassage Thu 02-Dec-10 20:33:07

Are you sure its not the Beach Boys' innocuous song with the same name?

Goblinchild Thu 02-Dec-10 20:35:36

Well, which one is on local radio several dozen times a day?
They have different tunes as well.

AgentZigzag Thu 02-Dec-10 20:38:32

DD1s 10, and although she knows about the mechanics of 'IT' (sex) she doesn't know anything.

I don't like the song either, but although some bits aren't ideal she likes it in an innocent way, and I'm not bursting her bubble just yet.

Don't most DC like things they know full well their parents wont approve of?

AgentZigzag Thu 02-Dec-10 20:40:37

And when I watched Daisy Duke first time round on the Dukes of Hazzard (about the same age), I just thought she was a really nice person, didn't cross my mind that she hardly had any clothes on.

CHOOGIRL Thu 02-Dec-10 20:41:38

I have some sympathy with you. My DD (aged 5) sings this. I find it a bit shock when she is singing about "daisy dukes, bikinis on top' as she has no idea what this means.

Nothing like theshock, however, when, whilst in the car with her one day she was able to sing along to Pitbull.

"Forget about your boyfriend and meet me at the hotel room, you can bring your girlfriends and meet me at the hotel room."

I don't listen to that sort of music when with her so am slightly confused about how she knows the words tbh.

At least now I can blame it on Rainbows smile

mumbar Thu 02-Dec-10 20:58:43

My DS sings the daisy dukes song - well his version. I remember the shock when in the car on a day trip during school hols Lily Allen came in and all our dc's then 4,5 and 6 started singing along.

My friend changed the station claiming the signal runs out only to find it playing on the other side grin.

They have no idea what they're singing about tho - to them its just a song.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now