Talk

Advanced search

to have thieved make up testers

(30 Posts)
GetOrfMoiLand Thu 02-Dec-10 17:10:11

I hacen't done this since I was a teenager, mind you.

But I used to freqnetly steal make up testers, especially at airports for such lovely delights as Guerlain and Chanel make ups.

I used to justify it by saying that I was testing it, but just testing it at home.

Cyb Thu 02-Dec-10 17:11:11

T H E I F

or is it

T H I E F

<i before e except after c?...>

SandStorm Thu 02-Dec-10 17:15:07

Doesn't matter what or why or how old you are - it's theft and it's wrong.

AlistairSim Thu 02-Dec-10 17:17:05

You will go to hell.

MrsRhettButler Thu 02-Dec-10 17:17:19

yanbu <pokes out tongue at sands>

i would just say slightly unhygienic?

GetOrfMoiLand Thu 02-Dec-10 17:17:35

Yes you are right <chastened>

Bet I am not the only one though.

GetOrfMoiLand Thu 02-Dec-10 17:18:20

Yes.

Imagine all the germs from holiday makers at gatwick.

never mind. It made a change from Constance Carroll.

saffy85 Thu 02-Dec-10 17:19:38

Yuck. Do you know what kind of nasty things you can catch from make up testers? Not everyone tests things on the back of their hand.

newmum001 Thu 02-Dec-10 17:19:53

I never did it cause i was too much of a shit bag and scared id get caught. If id had the guts i deffinately would have done it!!

spikeycow Thu 02-Dec-10 17:21:19

Bit unhygienic yes. But still never mind. Some Mumsnetters are going to go massively berserk though, you are a bad example to your child etc etc.

brimfull Thu 02-Dec-10 17:21:24

so you're the one that takes them

Theft

yabu

GetOrfMoiLand Thu 02-Dec-10 17:25:19

I haven't done it for years.

I was 14/15.

I wouldn't do it now. I would be afraid of cold sores etc.

Plus can actually pay for stuff now anyway.

JamieLeeCurtis Thu 02-Dec-10 17:34:56

Ahhhh, Constance Carroll - an name to conjure a thousand memories, mostly involving two stripes of blusher - dark below the cheekbone and highlighter above

LoudRowdyDuck Thu 02-Dec-10 17:38:53

I always thought I was a strange teen because it never occurred to me to nick stuff from Boots/Superdrug. As I understand it it's a rite of passage back where I grew up.

Ah well. I was quite slow on the uptake.

I am thinking 'ewww' about the germs too. Mind you, in Debenhams a few years ago they'd run out of what I wanted to buy and - I am not joking - the lady suggested I could buy the tester at a reduced price. shock

LaurieFairyonthetreeEatsCake Thu 02-Dec-10 17:39:57

LOL at your last reason being that you can pay for it now grin

LaurieFairyonthetreeEatsCake Thu 02-Dec-10 17:41:15

I've bought a tester at a reduced price - was Chanel 'fleur' I think - a limited edition flowery thing - was nice and the lovely lass in Brent Cross John Lewis only charged me £20 for it

JamieLeeCurtis Thu 02-Dec-10 17:42:47

I have never nicked anything. This is mainly because when my brother (11) nicked a Dungeons and Dragons figure from a big shop in London- we were all out together on a pre-Christmas trip - the div got it out and started looking at it and my mum made him go back in the shop and tell them he'd stolen it.

LoudRowdyDuck Thu 02-Dec-10 17:42:49

I guess perfume couldn't get that grubby if it's spray action - I wouldn't fancy eyeshadow several hundred people had dipped their mucky fingers in.

Why do some people test with their fingers, btw?

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 02-Dec-10 17:43:29

Message withdrawn

TheNextMrsDepp Thu 02-Dec-10 17:43:53

I have a make-up bag full of testers. DH gets them from work (cosmetics company), so not stolen, but I do get a few strange looks!

AmazingBouncingFerret Thu 02-Dec-10 17:44:10

GetOrf you're not alone. I did this when I was a teenager cept it wasnt posh chanel stuff. It was the posh (in my eyes at least) Max Factor and Loreal! grin

<cough> But yes YABU How very dare you.

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 02-Dec-10 17:44:39

Message withdrawn

MistressMaker Thu 02-Dec-10 17:45:16

I don't get it? If you're going to steal why not just steal a nice fresh one that hasn't been all over a load of other people?

[consfused]

LaurieFairyonthetreeEatsCake Thu 02-Dec-10 17:46:02

I too am Spartacus - the first thing i nicked was a box of after eights from woolies, the second thing was a Rimmel frosted pink lipstick (a very famous one that I've forgotten the name of)

I stole loads of make-up about 13-ish - stopped after a couple of months.

GetOrfMoiLand Thu 02-Dec-10 18:08:40

Oh no I wouldn't steal a new unused make up which wasn't a tester - that woyuld constitute theft.

But a tester - in my mind that was there for the use of teh general public. I wanted to test it. But I wanted to test it in teh comfort of my own home. So i took it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now