Talk

Advanced search

to think it is perfectly valid to be called Mommy rather than Mummy even though I am not American.

(61 Posts)
MrsTedHughes Thu 02-Dec-10 14:43:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mum2HarryandBen Thu 02-Dec-10 14:46:16

where do your family originate?

When I lived in Ireland i was ripped the hell out of, as I referred to Mother as Mummy, they refer to her as Mammmy over there!

I think you will find that kind of thing as will your child continually, yanbu, you are being unrealistic if you think that there will be no backlash.

Ormirian Thu 02-Dec-10 14:46:23

Of course YANBU. She can call you anything you like.

<still reserves right to snigger a tiny bit at mommy>

MrsTedHughes Thu 02-Dec-10 14:53:05

Lonnie Thu 02-Dec-10 14:55:19

OP just look at her and go "Yes thats what we use in OUR house" and leave it at that

YANBU

edam Thu 02-Dec-10 14:57:48

Pretty normal for the West Mids, isn't it? Do you still live there or have you moved away? In some other parts of the country people may not realise it's a Brummie thing and think you are being a bit American. But even if you were, it's still jolly rude to have a pop.

Eglu Thu 02-Dec-10 14:57:59

I thought the majority of people in the West Midlands said Mom or Mommy. Are they all trying to be upwardly mobile near you?

Ormirian Thu 02-Dec-10 14:59:52

Well I apologise. I do assume it's American and very unusual in the country. But as I say it's entirely up to you.

LittleMissHoHoHoFit Thu 02-Dec-10 15:00:21

practice withering looks and say that's what our family have always done.

TheCoalitionNeedsYou Thu 02-Dec-10 15:11:46

It's valid, just wrong, even if you ARE an American or from some daft part of the country where they talk all wrong.

Meglet Thu 02-Dec-10 15:13:35

My cousin in the States taught her DC's to say 'Mummy' in a posh English voice.

nannynobblystockingnobs Thu 02-Dec-10 15:14:45

I'm from the Midlands and have never heard anybody use it, apart from my 4yo DD2 and that's because she DOES watch too many American cartoons/films! However the 'witty' comments would really get on my tits. Next time say "Would you feel better if she addressed me as Mrs [Surname]?"

scurryfunge Thu 02-Dec-10 15:14:47

I've never heard anyone use that term in the UK. I would assume that the child watched too much American tv, sorry. Very judgemental, I know.

PinkIsMyFavouriteCrayon Thu 02-Dec-10 15:15:01

Don't see the problem, my friends little boys call their Dad 'Papa', he just wanted to be different to all the other Dads out there. I think it's nice. As said above just practice your withering look!
And for the recored, I'm determined to be a Mama once DD learns to talk properly smile

gregtheguineapig Thu 02-Dec-10 15:15:11

Tell her to feck off and keep her nose out!

MrsTedHughes Thu 02-Dec-10 15:16:19

Go Thu 02-Dec-10 15:18:08

I think it's quite normal for the W Mids, but anywhere else it's just wrong. But then I hate Americanisms when we have perfectly good words for things. Sorry, but I would assume (anywhere but the Midlands) that the kids probably do watch crap American telly all the time.

takingchances Thu 02-Dec-10 15:18:21

For heavens' sake.
I called my dad poppa for ages. Now that I am 30 I still call him Poppa Smurf. Makes us laugh.
My mum has been called Mum, mummy, Mom, and maman.
Who cares if someone is saying mommy or mummy or mammy...you know your DD is talking to you and so does she!!!

FunkySnowSkeleton Thu 02-Dec-10 15:18:41

memphis83 Thu 02-Dec-10 15:18:48

my family are from Birmingham and then moved to Leicester before i was born, we all called my mum mommy, as do all of our Birmingham based friend and relatives, my dad is 60 and calls my nan mom so ita not like its only appeared since we have watched American sitcoms!

swanker Thu 02-Dec-10 15:20:51

It is W. Midlands for Mummy!

My children call their father 'Papa'... we get some looks, but I don't care- he is French, and DD couldn't say 'Dada' when she was tiny.

TmiEdward Thu 02-Dec-10 15:21:38

My Mum called her parents Mater and Pater [old skool emoticon]

smokinaces Thu 02-Dec-10 15:21:48

My DS2 calls me Mimi and has done since he could talk. I call myself Mummy but if he wants to call me Mimi thats up to him!

TrailMix Thu 02-Dec-10 15:22:05

Pick out any strange linguistic quirk in which she indulges (and there will be one), and point it out repeatedly.

It's hard to believe what some people will get judgy about.

narkypuffin Thu 02-Dec-10 15:23:06

Just say, "Ah, of course, you're an incomer. You wouldn't know that's what we've always used around here. Where was it you came from originally"

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: