Talk

Advanced search

to wish that people who use mobility scooters

(71 Posts)
Filibear Thu 02-Dec-10 14:22:45

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

saffy85 Thu 02-Dec-10 14:28:48

YANBU. I hate them. Not all but some people ride them like they're powered by a fucking rocket. Had an almighty argument on the High Street with one nasty old witch who shouted at my then 2 year old to "move the fuck over" and threatened to run her over if I didn't move my daughter over angry Wasn't like she'd been stuck behind her for ages, this woman had been speeding along as people leaped out her way and my DD was oblivious to her and walked at a normal pace, holding my hand.

ConstanceFelicity Thu 02-Dec-10 14:29:23

Saffy!

ConstanceFelicity Thu 02-Dec-10 14:29:59

Bugger. That was meant to be a shock

blush

pjmama Thu 02-Dec-10 14:30:24

Bloody hell Saffy!? I think I'd have been tempted to push the nasty bitch off it. No excuse for that!

Filibear Thu 02-Dec-10 14:32:03

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Mum2HarryandBen Thu 02-Dec-10 14:33:20

try using one they are a nightmare, I used when I had an injury, really hard to move them, irratic speed, you have no break... so frustrating to use it in the first place.

I can't understand why you would wizz around corners or shout at kids to move etc, not on.

I hated it when people would walk infront of you when you were driving a straight path and they would go all slow and you are trying your damdest to avoid hitting them in the back of the legs etc...

GrimmaTheNome Thu 02-Dec-10 14:33:22

Worse than bikes on a pavement really.

Mind you, I'm scared for the ones I see bravely trundling along roads. A couple of weeks ago we saw an indomitable old lady out in one - the luggage net at the back contained her white stick shock

BelleDeChocChipCookieMonster Thu 02-Dec-10 14:33:36

They should have a licence for them. I hate them.

GiddyPickle Thu 02-Dec-10 14:34:57

Is it just me that sometimes harbours the very uncharitable thought that not absolutely every person racing around on these things actually needs one?
I know about hidden disabilities and that some people can walk say 10 metres but not 100 metres but some of the old battleaxes dears that leap off of them to shove you aside and race to the post office queue before you or who stride through the supermarket to demand the use of one from the customer services desk don't look entirely as frail as you might expect.

I am probably just a bad bad person for even thinking that they just want one so they can go faster and bash the heels of people that annoy them and get preferential treatment in shops and restaurants blush

saffy85 Thu 02-Dec-10 14:35:00

I would have loved to give her a nasty shove but the old caahhh was going to bloody fast! DD did tell her she was going the right way for a rosy bottom grin blush must have got that line from my gran...

Mum2HarryandBen Thu 02-Dec-10 14:37:02

Giddypickle, I was accused by someone and looked at with shock when I did a bit of walking out of the mobility scooter, trust me there is no way on earth you would choose to be in one if you did not have to, I was ordered by dr to not walk unless necessary and when I did it made the condition worse, sometimes you have to get out of them to do certain things!

Mistymoo Thu 02-Dec-10 14:38:32

I read recently that someone here (in the Highlands) was charged with drunk driving on one of those. Surely if they are driving that badly they can be reported.

saffy85 Thu 02-Dec-10 14:41:21

shock at Grimma that is terrifying!

Actually I had a very annoying lady in the shop I was in who wanted a refund. No problem but refunds are on a different floor. She claimed she couldnt go to the other floor because of her bloody scooter. Fair enough someone nipped off to return her items and get her money back (cash refund thankfully, otherwise she'd have had to go in the cargo lift as the customer lift is too small for the scooters.)

None of this would have bothered me that much except for the whole 10-15 minutes the manager was away getting said refund sorted out the lady was pacing the floor the entire time and pacing quite fast considering she said she had mobility issues angry

LittleMissHoHoHoFit Thu 02-Dec-10 14:41:38

Saffy, that's shock I'd have let her tyres down...

Can we get 'Pavement Stingers'?

<not really>

AgentZigzag Thu 02-Dec-10 14:59:16

DD1 was literally mown down by a mobility scooter last year (OK slight exaggeration grin).

He came up behind us, we didn't hear him, so instead of asking us to move he just tried to get past on the side DD1 was walking on, caught her foot and sent her sprawling.

She had a nasty scrape down the side of her foot, and he had the cheek to have a go at me when I dared to say something.

Another thing I've noticed is loads more of them going down the side of the road. I don't drive, but I can't imagine drivers would take kindly to having to go mobility scooter speed, that's if they see them.

GrimmaTheNome Thu 02-Dec-10 15:01:30

We have an old boy in our village who uses one.

The village has chicanes.

Nuff said!

Quenelle Thu 02-Dec-10 15:04:23

I saw a lady on one crash into a shop window in our town a few weeks ago. Broke the window from corner to corner. I suspect it was down to steering difficulty rather than speeding though.

Gracie123 Thu 02-Dec-10 15:07:20

I had to use one when I was PG because of SPD (had a zimmerframe for a while, but can't carry shopping with it) and they are a freaking nightmare to drive. That said, they so have speed limiters, so you can set that to walking pace before you put your foot on the pedal so that even when you jerk forward it's at a reasonable speed.

I get more annoyed with them for trapping me and buggy in the stupidly narrow ailses in superdrug. Why are there always two in there? Why do they always end up at either end of whichever aisle I'm in? Why are they always so engrossed in conversation that despite me asking politely to get passed they can't seem to hear me?

Is it possible I'm being stalked by a crew of people with mobility issues?

2shoesnightmarebeforechristmas Thu 02-Dec-10 15:15:06

terrible, all these disabled and old people should stay at home.

GiddyPickle Thu 02-Dec-10 15:19:11

yes 2shoes. Because that's obviously what everyone is saying isn't it? If you don't want to have your toddler mown down on a public footpath by an inconsiderate, speed-crazed idiot on a scooter its because you hate all genuinely old and infirm and disabled people. There is no grey area here at all.

SantasMooningArse Thu 02-Dec-10 15:24:04

YANBU

manners are not discounted by disability (assuming someone who can drive a mobility vehicle has capacity).

DS3 was hit by one last year in a supermarket: driver had a right go at him, couldn;t see her need was greater, rude little child, hope he'd be disabled so he could knew.

DS3 has quite severe ASD; I shifted him as fast as I could but it takes longer to register and shift someone else than move yourself, and i didn;t amke it.

No excuses. I demand my ASD boys ahve the maximum level of consideration they ahve the capcity for, and expect the same back.

pagwatch Thu 02-Dec-10 15:25:28

A guy nearly mowed ds2 down the other day and we were walking along pretty quickly.

I suddenly realised he was behind us because he shouted hmm and as I kind of moved to one side in a bit of a surprise ds2 moved towards me and then away as the guy tried to push between us.
Ds 2 was really alarmed but the man just shouted " is he deaf or stupid" at me
" neither actually you inconsiderate fuck " I replied
He slowed down a bit and we chatted a while grin and [grrrrr]

SantasMooningArse Thu 02-Dec-10 15:25:34

Ah 2shoes i don;t think that's what anyone is saying (well you know I am not), just that if you use one you should have basic safety skills and manners is all. I have friends who use motorised wheelchairs etc and none of them would behave as in the OP: indeed, they'd be mortified.

Filibear Thu 02-Dec-10 15:29:35

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now