Talk

Advanced search

to let DD have her presents before Christmas?

(22 Posts)
MemooMerrilyOnHigh Thu 02-Dec-10 13:57:08

This is something that DH and I really disagree on.

DD is 14 months old and so obviously has no concept of Christmas and presents.

I have ordered a few things for her and as they arrive I thought I'd probably just let her have them straight away rather than putting them away until Christmas day.

I thought that I will wrap up a few of her little plastic animals and put them in a stocking for her to open on the day as I suspect she will enjoy playing with the paper more than anything.

DH think I am being really silly and that we should wrap all her gifts and let her open them all on the morning but I really just don't see the point and tbh I think its a little over whelming for a 14mo to have all these new things at once.

If you tell me Iabu I will do what DH wants, so am I?

pastaplease Thu 02-Dec-10 14:02:30

I would tend to agree with DH. If they're Christmas pressies, they should be opened on Christmas day.

My DD was 18 months last Christmas and now remembers the morning of pressies, so it may not be entirely lost on your DD.

I think you're just getting excited. I am too, by the way!

MemooMerrilyOnHigh Thu 02-Dec-10 14:04:22

Its true that I am very excited grin

piscesmoon Thu 02-Dec-10 14:04:38

I would save them for Christmas-it makes it fun for the adults!

haggisaggis Thu 02-Dec-10 14:08:39

Leave it until Christmas but don't be surprised (or disappointed!) if she opens a couple and then ignores the rest. You can always sperad them through the day (or over a few days if she gets loads)

BornToFolk Thu 02-Dec-10 14:09:12

Save them for Christmas but do allow for her getting over-whelmed. DS was 14 months old for his 2nd Christmas and we had to do present opening over several sessions on Christmas Day and Boxing Day as he'd either get bored, or want to play with one thing.

whatdoiknowanyway Thu 02-Dec-10 14:13:30

My husband insisted that our daughter at 9 months old would have no idea of Christmas and there was not a lot of point in putting cards up nicely etc just for us.
I ignored him (as you do) and strung all the cards up on the wall. He still remembers her delighted reaction and that was 18 years ago.

I'd keep the presents for Christmas Day. There's something special about watching a tiny child's first Christmas and she'll love playing with the paper....

MemooMerrilyOnHigh Thu 02-Dec-10 14:15:20

I get the feeling DH is going to get his way grin

Glitterandglue Thu 02-Dec-10 14:17:26

Without trying to sound judgmental [honestly]...if the amount of gifts you have got her for Christmas is likely to overwhelm her...perhaps you've just got her too much?

I dunno, surely the point of giving Christmas presents is to make the recipient happy [or interested, perhaps, as a 14 month old]? And they are to be given on Christmas day. If too many is going to make her unhappy then don't give that many. But if you give them on other days, they're not Christmas presents. They're just presents, which is fine too.

I suspect I am being a little too logical about this. I don't know though, I understand your DH's point of view here. I'd personally want to have the photos of my child opening all their presents on Christmas day.

LaurieFairyonthetreeEatsCake Thu 02-Dec-10 14:19:52

I think you should get her used to waiting so that in future years she will enjoy the build up.

If you want to do something small every day then put little chocs/animals in a nice advent calendar.

Or light an advent candle every day, put up a new Christmas decoration every day.

hophophippidtyhop Thu 02-Dec-10 14:29:17

For a child to start getting the concept of christmas and presents, you have to set up that tradition of it being a special day.She may be a bit bewildered this time, but they soon get the idea by the next one!

mrsunreasonable Thu 02-Dec-10 14:35:56

save them for Christmas if she gets them before they are not christmas presents they are just stuff!

mumeeee Thu 02-Dec-10 16:21:06

Save them for Christmas

MemooMerrilyOnHigh Thu 02-Dec-10 17:36:44

I have never seen an aibu before where everyone is in agreement! I bow down to your better judgement and accept Iabu grin will put the pressies away for Christmas day

PaisleyLeaf Thu 02-Dec-10 17:38:45

Good. You know it makes sense

qualitystreetrosescelebrations Thu 02-Dec-10 17:58:49

Take them all out of their boxes now though - makes it so much easier on christmas day, and also they can play instantly and therefore have much more interest in the toy.

Otherwise they open them, you take them away topen, they forget move on, and moment passed grin.

SkyBluePearl Thu 02-Dec-10 18:29:57

I tend to do one gift a day over the xmas holidays to spread the enjoyment and give them time to play with each item. They wont get the gift if they are naughty that day though. They then get a stocking from santa on xmas morning and maybe 3 or 4 bigger pressies spread over xmas day. We have a lot of small pressies relatives and friends and it would just much to open them all xmas morning. doing it this way means they have time to appreciate and enjoy each gift. I love watching how excited they get.

peeringintothevoid Thu 02-Dec-10 18:38:47

It's always annoyed me with DD that she does the 'production line present opening' thing; rip off the wrapping, quick look, onto the next one. I therefore stagger present opening on Christmas day - some in the morning, some in the afternoon, save one for boxing day. Also, if people visit with Christmas presents beforehand, she opens them then and there, so that the giver gets the pleasure of seeing her open them, and DD really appreciates them. We usually have my DM & DSDad down to celebrate Solstice on the 21st, so we open their pressies then.

HTH. smile

SuePurblybiltByElves Thu 02-Dec-10 18:45:06

YY to the taking out of boxes. And wrap in tissue paper, it's easier for them.

2rebecca Thu 02-Dec-10 20:38:04

YABU. It's a Christmas present. What's the rush? Have some patience woman.

Hulababy Thu 02-Dec-10 20:39:27

I agree with your DH.

stayathomegardener Thu 02-Dec-10 21:41:32

Maybe the lone voice here but when my DD was two she loved playing with other childrens play kitchens so we purchased her one for christmas.

About the week before the big day she was playing really quietly so I looked round the corner to see she had 'made' a kitchen out of a little ledge boxing in pipework,and was busy cooking with her little pans,it just seemed crazy to have the 'real' thing hidden in the next room,so when my DH came home we decided to give her that present early,not wrapped or anything.

I still remember that week so clearly she cooked all day every day,ate her lunches on it and even slept next to it.she was so happy.

This year she's 11 and one of her presents will be a kenward hand mixer which I will offer early as school breaks up on the 14th and it will be great to use before then,she will also have 1 CD and 1 DS game early as usual to enjoy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: