Talk

Advanced search

to be a bit amused but also shocked at dd for this?

(12 Posts)
gingernutlover Thu 02-Dec-10 13:45:10

we are writing dd's xmas cards this week for school, she started reception in sept.

She told me that she is sending a card to everyone in her class except for one boy

I was a bit suprised and asked why, expecting her to say that he pushes and shoves or calls her names. No, none of the above! Her reason is that he is better behaved than her and gets his name on the rewards board more often than her.

I didnt know whether to laugh or tell her off.

Funnily enough, she is happy to send a card to a little boy who I know behaves quite badly - obviously no threat there then!

Anyone else's children think the same way as my dd?

MemooMerrilyOnHigh Thu 02-Dec-10 13:48:13

Hmm, doesn't sound like an attitude that you should be encouraging tbh

colditz Thu 02-Dec-10 13:49:07

My response would be to tell her off, to be honest.

mumbar Thu 02-Dec-10 13:51:37

Shame my DS doesn't have the same attitude - save me buying any cards. wink.

Seriously yanbu to not know how to react but you need to stop that attitude tbh IMO.

gingernutlover Thu 02-Dec-10 13:53:05

who said I was encouraging it???? I have explained that this is not a reason to dislike someone

i fully intend to make her write him one, just like everyone else, it's just typical of DD, other children would dislike someone beause they were rude, she dislikes him becasue she feels the teacher notices his good beahviour more than hers I think.

purpleduck Thu 02-Dec-10 13:53:58

Ihope you are encouraging her to send the boy a card as well.

gingernutlover Thu 02-Dec-10 13:54:30

I know dd is well beahved in class because I have checked ( I have spies!) I suspect that some children need more encouragement to behave than others.

She will be writing the card dont worry!

muriel76 Thu 02-Dec-10 13:55:27

Somewhere in between I think!

I wouldn't tell her off so much as try and explain the extreme unattractiveness of being a poor loser/uber competitive.

This kind of thing is amusing until its acted out in front of lots of other vaguely appalled parents on (in my case) a football pitch.

Nip it in the bud now!

gingernutlover Thu 02-Dec-10 13:57:09

yes you are right muriel - I think she got very used to being the "star of the show" (not something I was particularly happy about tbh but she had her teachers wrapped round her finger) at her nursery, and now she's in a class of 30 and has to realise that not everyone can be rewarded for the same thing all the time.

earwicga Thu 02-Dec-10 13:57:28

YANBU. It is a bit funny, and also a good opportunity to talk about how horrible jealousy is.

Lucky you that your dd is writing out cards. I finally got mine to do their own last year and then had to throw a load away because of the messages they had written in them. I didn't find it at all amusing at 7 years old.

MemooMerrilyOnHigh Thu 02-Dec-10 13:59:43

If its typical of her you definately need to nip it in the bud before it becomes a real problem for her.

BigHairyGruffalo Thu 02-Dec-10 14:04:38

YANBU! Very amusing! grin As long as she writes the card and doesn't publically announce her feelings then I don't think there is a problem. Being competitive doesn't have to be a bad thing, you just need to make sure she utilises it constructively.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: