Talk

Advanced search

think that if DH's boss and all the managing directors for his company can't be arsed to go to work in the snow

(42 Posts)
theevildead2 Thu 02-Dec-10 09:01:13

they shouldn't expect the underlings to bloody go!

They also fucked off early home last night because it was a nightmare getting home.

Dh and his colleagues can't leave work early unless they have permission.. they can't can't get permission if none of the bosses can be bothered to be there.

Company is in another town from most of the employees as well because it moved last year.

pagwatch Thu 02-Dec-10 09:03:32

I think that is shit.
Dh has just made it in and the first thing he intends to do is figure out who he can send home.
He has been testing all morning making sure thatbpeople make reasonable efforts and not heroic ones.

pagwatch Thu 02-Dec-10 09:03:57

Texting ....

theevildead2 Thu 02-Dec-10 09:15:42

I'll have dh send his cv to your dh pag! grin

I think if they were the sort to say, "look I made it in, you can too" it wouldn't be quite so obnoxious.. But this just really winds me up

pointydog Thu 02-Dec-10 09:16:52

The bosses should look after their staff first and send them home first. Them is the rules for anyone who isn't a cock.

pagwatch Thu 02-Dec-10 09:21:01

I agree with pointy and her Law of Cock Management.

Theevil grin. ...m
Nah . A career so dull it stops conversations at dinner parties.

curlymama Thu 02-Dec-10 09:23:33

That is so wrong.

What makes these tossers think that their lives and families are more important than everyone elses?

mistletoekisses Thu 02-Dec-10 09:28:05

OP - am on the fence as this really does depend on the business you are all in. The bottom line is that a business can continue to operate on a day to day basis without senior management being in the office.

I know for a fact that ours can, but it cannot operate without the customer service teams being in place.

You can all be as indignant as possible, but if our bosses allowed most of our staff not to come in, we would have a lot of very unhappy clients who would no doubt try to leave us for poor service...and where would that leave the company?

Yes management have a responsibility to staff but they also have a responsibility to honour their clients.

theevildead2 Thu 02-Dec-10 09:28:21

yes they all seem to be proffesors of cock mangment!

I have told DH if it gets worse I am ringing up and saying I am have contractions!

He can explain I was lying having braxton hicks tomorrow

southeastastra Thu 02-Dec-10 09:29:09

why wrong? surely a perk for being boss innit?

theevildead2 Thu 02-Dec-10 09:31:07

MIssletoekisses if any of them had bothered it wouldn't have upset me much. I just felt if they think it is safe enough for my husband to go, they should be willing to show up. Losing customers is not an excuse in my mind to rish employees. Besides DH deals with other people in his on trade.. all of whom are home today!

pointydog Thu 02-Dec-10 09:32:57

mistletoe, you talk such cockery.

Here's the Good Management scenario. The boss sends home staff who live furthest away or in the most badly-affected areas and then the bosses help carry out the customer service role and are finally the last to leave.

pointydog Thu 02-Dec-10 09:33:53

This is due to bad weather. Does that not affect everyone? If the customers are that important, the bosses should be first to prove it.

mistletoekisses Thu 02-Dec-10 09:35:46

evil - fair enough, but I think I am the lone voice bordering on a YABU.

I dont think in their position they need to bother, they can often fulfil their day to day stuff even from home. I also think it is one of the perks of being senior. Do bear in mind that whilst they get perks like this, they also have the privilege of working very long hours when they have to. I wouldnt want to be one of my senior management for all the tea in China. Mine are often still working and emailing at busy times well after midnight and in the office very early the next morning.

I would expect that every one of our directors is working from home today.

grumpypants Thu 02-Dec-10 09:36:31

Is it a small company? Can the managers work from home?

pagwatch Thu 02-Dec-10 09:37:39

Exactly pointy
You try to ensure adequate cover with the least number of people and source them from those with the least problems getting in. But I would be more 'valuable' than more junior staff as I would expect to be able to perform their duties whilst they would presumably be less able to perform mine.
Equally I earnt more than them, had more perks than them.. My moral obligation was ppn larger

mistletoekisses Thu 02-Dec-10 09:37:45

Pointy, such eloquence!

The customers do not need the directors to be in. The customers hardly ever speak with the directors. They need the front line staff in.

What planet do you all live on? Welcome to the real world. If you hate it so much, work hard and get promoted to those positions of seniority yourselves!

CerealOffender Thu 02-Dec-10 09:38:44

this made me chuckle yesterday

snowflake69 Thu 02-Dec-10 09:38:45

'This is due to bad weather. Does that not affect everyone? If the customers are that important, the bosses should be first to prove it.'

How often does this happen in real life though? I have worked at loads of minimum wage jobs and the bosses always go home in these situations.

onceamai Thu 02-Dec-10 09:39:15

The bosses should set an example. I'm at home today - work closed. DD gone to school 2-1/2 miles away transport working. DS 2-1/2 miles in the other direction - we tried but the buses are stuck on the hill and other roads are impassable so we came home again. We have about an inch and a half of snow but ds has to go up a steep hill and no grit!!!!!

pagwatch Thu 02-Dec-10 09:40:24

Still don't agree mistletoe (xposted)
Dh could work from home to do his usual job. But these are not usual circumstances and if there is to be a smaller presence in the office who better than the guy who can chat with CEO of other companies or sign urgent legal papers etc or deal with a pr or media matter.

theevildead2 Thu 02-Dec-10 09:44:29

grumpypants couple hundred I suspect? and tbh it doesn't sound like they do much work from work grin so reckon its just a snow day for them

grumpypants Thu 02-Dec-10 09:47:31

oh well, in that case yanbu grin

plus3 Thu 02-Dec-10 09:51:03

I think that anybody who can get to work should - regardless of position within the company.
Last year none of DH's directors made it in, he made it because he walked (about an hour which he loved!) But despite walking past some of the roads on which the certain directors lived, they still couldn't quite make it in...They then had the check to start investigations into why other members of staff didn't come into work, resulting in either forced A/L or unpaid leave!!!

Team work and all that...

whenskiesaregrey Thu 02-Dec-10 09:55:46

I think it depends on your level of management. MDs, CEOs, I can see them going home, and no-one really knowing any different to be honest. I suppose it depends on the size of the business, but a lot of their work could be carried out remotely.

However, middle management- site managers, line managers, etc should not go home before the people that work for them. It sets such a poor example, and no manager will gain any respect from their workers by not coming in, but in turn expecting them to turn up. DH would never go home before the people that work for him in these circumstances.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now