Talk

Advanced search

to think about doing a cheese fondue?

(42 Posts)
ClaireDeLoon Wed 01-Dec-10 22:56:32

Just for me and DP not to inflict on random friends but should we? My mum offloaded her 1970's fondue set from the recesses of her kitchen cupboard to the recesses of my kitchen cupboard a few years ago and I'm tempted to give it a go over Christmas. Will I regret it if I do?

curlymama Wed 01-Dec-10 23:14:01

No, you won't! A German friend did one for a group of us once, and it was so divine! she said they did fondues alot in Germany. We had yummy bread, brocoli, carrots, ham, and I can't remember what else. But it was yummy, very filling and we were all stuffed afterwards.

I remember my Mum doing steak fondues when they were al the rage in the 80's, I used to like those too.

And if all else fails you do a chocolate fondue with strawberries, banana, marshmallows and mini dougnuts!

FiaGrace Wed 01-Dec-10 23:25:25

Do it! I love fondue, lots of cheese, wine and garlic and loads of crunchy bread. Mmmm

moondog Wed 01-Dec-10 23:28:42

Fondies are the business.
Start stockpiling bread and cold meats and gherkins and salad.

ChippingIn Wed 01-Dec-10 23:33:15

Fondue is FAB.... yum! Grab it with both hands you wont regret it!

It's very European to do just boiled potatoes and bread with it (and cold meat) but I love carrot, cauli, baby pickled onions, bread sticks, pepper..... hmmmmmm

Then there's the chocolate fondue....

ClaireDeLoon Wed 01-Dec-10 23:33:21

Give me yummy recipes then please grin by ham I assume you mean cubes of cooked? Works out well as doing a big ham Boxing Day for the in laws. What else do I need?

Patch66 Wed 01-Dec-10 23:34:48

I love fondue. Did one for me, dh and dds aged 12 and 4 a couple of months ago. Both really enjoyed it. Go for it. (Best place for one is Switzerland - delicious).

Maisiethemorningsidecat Wed 01-Dec-10 23:35:44

Oooooh can I come??? Love fondue...am v envy

Make sure you get the log fire going, put on matching festive jumpers, put Perry Como (don't you dare say "who") on the record player and enjoy!

ClaireDeLoon Wed 01-Dec-10 23:36:18

We sometimes do fondue in the little ceramic sets with a tea light you get these days but the set my mum gave me is stainless steel with a spirit burner so I guess fairly hardcore.

AgentZigzag Wed 01-Dec-10 23:36:46

<<envious>> I'd love to have a fondue, and I'd 'inflict' it on others too!

Gruyere, jarlsberg, Emmental <<drool>>

Maisiethemorningsidecat Wed 01-Dec-10 23:39:03

You've got a proper fondue set? You lucky beggar...the only thing from the 70s and early 80s that my mum has inflicted on me is her collection of macrame.

Melted cheese, bread, meat, veg, followed by melted chocolate and fruit <drool>

HollyBollyBooBoo Thu 02-Dec-10 02:41:25

Ooh yum, love it although can't bear traditional cheese fondue recipes with kirsch in it personally. And chocolate fondue with strawberries, banana, marshmallows and bite size pieces of mars bar is divine (classy!).

onmyfeet Thu 02-Dec-10 04:15:15

Sounds good to me! Just looked it up, and you don't just toss in any old cheese, have a look.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fondue
and
www.kitchentotable.com/recipes/dinner/cheese-fondu e.php

www.sofeminine.co.uk/guide/food/f9747-cheese-fondu e.html

onmyfeet Thu 02-Dec-10 04:21:08

Shellfish and Emmenthal Fondue www.ilovecheese.co.uk/how-make-great-cheese-fondue .html
and many video DIY recipes

www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cheese+fondue &aq=f

kreecherlivesupstairs Thu 02-Dec-10 08:10:59

I was just eyeing mine yesterday. We had one at least once a week while we lived in Switzerland. Now the snow has arrived with a vengance in Belgium it will be just the ticket assuming I can get the cheese and kirsch. The kirsch really is important IMO.
Enjoy.
Be aware of the Swiss superstition, don't drink beer on top of your fondue. It apparently makes the cheese into a solid lump in your stomach hmm

TyraG Thu 02-Dec-10 08:13:21

I LOVE fondue. Mmmm cheese mmmmm

Wish we had our set, it's being shipped and probably won't be here until the New Year. sad

Do the fondue and you will never regret it. It's so amazingly delicious.

ClaireDeLoon Thu 02-Dec-10 08:19:18

I don't have any kirsch, is there anything I could use instead or should I just see if I can find a small bottle somewhere?

JamieLeeCurtis Thu 02-Dec-10 08:26:47

And cut a raw glove of garlic in half and rub it round the bowl before you put the other ingredients in

TyraG Thu 02-Dec-10 08:28:40

Ooh and beer in the cheese is good too. yummy

JetLi Thu 02-Dec-10 08:31:52

Kirsch is pretty easy to find in the supermarket - usually 5 or 6 quid for a small bottle. The Bols people do it & you ought to be able to find it with all the oddball stuff like cherry brandy & blue bols. Another Swiss tradition would be to dip the bread in a glass of kirsch (briefly) & then dunk in the cheese - tis yummy. I generally do fondue savoyarde so thats a mix of gruyere & emmental. It can end up as a big gooey lump but patient stirring plus some kirsch & cornflour usually encourages it to mix properly. I love fondue smile. Look around for cheddar & beer/cider versions as well - equally lush if not authentically swiss.
I did two huge ones for 12 of us a few years ago - was a great success. If you know anyone who has a raclette set, that's worth doing too.

TyraG Thu 02-Dec-10 08:37:59

Oh man, now I'm jonesing for fondue. envy

girlywhirly Thu 02-Dec-10 09:22:43

This is very easy and tasty, by Katie Stewart, from 1983! Back then, Gouda was a lot cheaper and easier to find than the Swiss cheeses.

Gouda cheese fondue. Serves 4

1 clove garlic
150ml dry white wine
1 teasp. lemon juice
400g grated Gouda
1 tablesp cornflour
1.5 tablesp gin
pinch grated nutmeg
black pepper to taste, freshly milled

Prepare foods for dipping first, we used to have chunks of bread, cooked cold sausage, apple, and celery.

Rub the inside of a pan with the garlic clove slightly crushed, then discard the garlic. Add wine and lemon juice, bringing it to just below boiling point, then add the cheese stirring constantly until melted. Blend the cornflour with the gin, add to the pan and stir until fonue thickens and comes to the boil, then draw of the heat. Add nutmeg and pepper. Pour fondue into the heated bowl or pan, and set over the burner ready to serve. Make sure the burner is on a heatproof tablemat as it can get very hot, and also make sure the diners scrape the base of the dish, when dipping, otherwise you get a big burnt lump of cheese at the end.

Katie Stewart says any leftover fondue can be spread on toast and grilled, (as if there's any likelihood of leftovers!)

LemonDifficult Thu 02-Dec-10 09:30:51

You don't need to use kirsch - any brandy/eau de vie will do.

I love cheese fondues, we have them quite often because they're quite easy and quick if you have people over.

This is similar to the one I do here but I don't add pepper

FindingMyMojo Thu 02-Dec-10 09:31:28

yum - go for it!

Guacamohohohole Thu 02-Dec-10 09:36:32

No... It'll be yummy, do it Christmas eve German styley with lots of yummy bread and hams, so nice potatoes etc... My SIL is German and her and my DB do fondue on Christmas eve and Turkey Christmas day! I'm salivating just thinking about it!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: