Talk

Advanced search

DH reckons he's walking the nine miles to work tomorrow.

(101 Posts)
RealityVom Wed 01-Dec-10 21:59:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CarGirl Wed 01-Dec-10 22:01:18

He could take the dc sledging whilst you cuddle niece......

he is def being unreasonable!

SantasNutellaFairy Wed 01-Dec-10 22:01:25

no- I think you are being entirely sensible.

curlymama Wed 01-Dec-10 22:01:54

YANBU. But I am a soft Southerner.

ALovelyBunchOfBaubles Wed 01-Dec-10 22:03:06

I think he would be safer walking than driving. If he wears wellies or snow boots and wraps up warm he'll be fine. He might even get there quicker than someone driving!

My DH cycles to work. I have told him I'd prefer him to walk as we can't afford the time off. But he doesn't have to go 9 miles.

sethstarkaddersmum Wed 01-Dec-10 22:03:09

has he thought it through? It will take 3 or 4 hours.
I presume he has full winter walking kit? Would be stupid to do it without.
is he fit and used to walking a long way?

put it this way, it is probably not a good idea, though under certain circumstances it would be fairly harmless.

RealityVom Wed 01-Dec-10 22:04:03

MrManager Wed 01-Dec-10 22:04:21

Drive? Taxi? Bus?

ALovelyBunchOfBaubles Wed 01-Dec-10 22:04:35

Xposts.

3 or 4 hours? Really?

In that case OP, yanbu. I take back my first post!!

CarGirl Wed 01-Dec-10 22:05:05

Great minds grin

AnyFuckerForAMincePie Wed 01-Dec-10 22:05:11

MrM...look out your window

There is white stuff lying on the ground grin

mylifewithstrangers Wed 01-Dec-10 22:05:29

Sounds like madness to me. Once he's got there and warmed up it will be time to tog up and walk home again!

RealityVom Wed 01-Dec-10 22:05:41

rookiemater Wed 01-Dec-10 22:05:56

I saw someone in skis on the footpath today, perhaps that would be an option.

DH has combatted the problem by buying a second hand landrover ( condition of sale that they got it on our 2 foot snow deep street)Not as barking as it sounds because he is a contractor, so even if we sell it in a few months time at a bit of a loss, still less than losing out on a weeks pay.

All very well walking there, but he does realise he needs to do it in reverse to get home.

sethstarkaddersmum Wed 01-Dec-10 22:06:11

3 or 4 hours is what my dh who has done lots of winter walking said when I read him the OP - actually he said '3 1/2 to 4 hours' but I paraphrased. You do move a lot more slowly in deep snow.

sunshineriver Wed 01-Dec-10 22:06:35

No, he's nuts. He may get there okay, but if it snows more while he's at work, or if he falls going there/coming back, he'll be totally screwed.

Can't he phone up and work from home?

One of the lads that my mum works with walked 3 miles to work today, that was mental enough, but 9 miles is just off the chart.

Are you really that annoying to be in the house with all day? wink

BikeRunSki Wed 01-Dec-10 22:07:13

YANBU

DH has been in bed for a week with a D&V bug and reckons he is cycling the 10 miles to work tommorow. There is - I am not joking - 18 inches of settled snow outside and it is still snowing.

Allstarsprincess Wed 01-Dec-10 22:07:29

I am training for the moonwalk (26.2 miles) it takes me 2 hours 10 mins to walk 9 miles. I would NOT do it in the snow,ice or cold weather. He risks blisters, torn muscles and very sore feet!

Tell him to stay home.

faverolles Wed 01-Dec-10 22:08:09

What does he do?
If he's a surgeon and has vital life saving operations to do YABU

For pretty much anything else YANBU

sethstarkaddersmum Wed 01-Dec-10 22:08:34

dh said 'if he's breaking fresh snow it'll be a lot harder than if it's already packed down'.

stickylittlefingers Wed 01-Dec-10 22:08:42

one thing if it were three or four miles, nine is another matter.

They did have a thing on the news this morning about some guys who walked into Newcastle, but that was partly a PR stunt because they work in the mountain shop on Dean st. Does your DH work in an outdoor clothing shop?

Allstarsprincess Wed 01-Dec-10 22:09:07

Not too mention bloody cold feet.

NorthernLurker Wed 01-Dec-10 22:09:07

Where is he walking? If in fairly urban environment then I think it's fine actually. My 12 year old has done 3 miles today - and every day. If it's very rural then I might think twice because if he fell or became exhausted he's unlikely to find help.

RealityVom Wed 01-Dec-10 22:09:10

PamelaFlitton Wed 01-Dec-10 22:09:58

YANBU, if the snow's that bad no other fucker will be there, so why bother? Unless he's a doctor or something crucial

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now