Talk

Advanced search

to expect a £50 bag to last more than a year.

(21 Posts)
notanicebag Wed 01-Dec-10 16:57:29

As it is really. I have a gorgeous bag purchased from a well known depatment store. It is almost a year old but like most mums I haven't used it every day. One of the straps has split in an area and the filling is falling out.
I have been told that it will probably have to be sent off for examination to see if there is a fault or if its normal wear and tear.
Do you think this bag should be replaced or repaired?

Bonsoir Wed 01-Dec-10 16:59:56

Obviously it depends how much you use it, but I wouldn't expect a £50 bag to last more than a year, no.

thenightsky Wed 01-Dec-10 17:01:35

I paid that for my last one and it was extremely tatty after about a year. Was all leather too.

2blessed2bstressed Wed 01-Dec-10 17:03:24

I don't actually think £50 is that much to pay for a bag, and if that was what I'd spent, then I wouldn't be surprised at all if it started to fall apart after a year.

classydiva Wed 01-Dec-10 17:03:55

Repaired, not replaced you have had it too long it has to wear reasonably over the course of a year, and if you have had it that long to me says it's lived its life.

narkypuffin Wed 01-Dec-10 17:04:24

Er no. You've used it for a year? You've not alternated with other bags? All spring, summer and autumn?

Niecie Wed 01-Dec-10 17:10:02

£50 is not particularly expensive as handbags go so I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't last a year. I got through 3 leather bags in about 18 mths a couple of years back and I wasn't happy but it was normal wear and tear. I overfill them and end up ruining the handles. I reckon you are just going to have to put new handbag on your Christmas list.

linziluv Wed 01-Dec-10 17:12:53

I got an ugg handbag for last Xmas costing £125...within 5 months the seam starting coming away!
I wrote a lovely letter (!) explaining and they said to send the bag back but it would take 6 weeks to get replacement! I never did send it though!

thefurryone Wed 01-Dec-10 17:16:06

Going against what others have said, £50 is a fairly substantial amount of money, and I would expect it to last more than a year (unless you've been carrying around bricks in it everyday!).

notanicebag Wed 01-Dec-10 17:16:55

Most days of the week I don't even use a bag. I personally feel it could be a design fault. It has a big fake padlock thing attached to flap. I am sure opening and closing that could cause undue pressure on the bag but I am not sure I can be bothered to pursue it.

narkypuffin Wed 01-Dec-10 17:30:28

Thefurryone, it depends if the £50 is for the quality or for a 'name'.

PlanetEarth Wed 01-Dec-10 17:36:16

Wow, you lot are hard on your handbags! Wouldn't pay more than £30-40 for a bag, and I still expect them to last 5 years or so.

LaurieFairyonthetreeEatsCake Wed 01-Dec-10 17:39:34

I think bags have a hard life so I wouldn't expect a £50 to last much more than a year without going a bit tatty.

I do get pissed off with £50 cardigans that go shit after being washed a handful of times grin

LaurieFairyonthetreeEatsCake Wed 01-Dec-10 17:39:59

That was supposed to be a hmm fuckers emoticon

narkypuffin Wed 01-Dec-10 17:45:56

I'd expect a bag to last- as mine do- if it is one of several ( and so not in permanant use)and it is not left full or hanging. I'd also expect that if I paid £50 for a no-name leather bag it would last.

Unfortunately it's very easy to spend £50 or more on a low level 'designer' bag that cost about £1 to make and has bad stitching. Think most of the contents of Debenhams bag section. If I want to buy an expensive leather bag I'd spend more on one of the quality makers- not necessarily the big or uber fashionable names. My workhorse winter bag is sensible and lovely, cost around a lot but is still up for everyday use 4 years on.

twolittlemonkeys Wed 01-Dec-10 17:49:19

It would appear I'm in the minority but actually I would expect a £50 bag to last more than a year. I have never had a bag costing that much but have had £15 and £30 bags which I used every day last a lot longer than a year.

narkypuffin Wed 01-Dec-10 17:50:47

Bobbling knitwear. Evil fuckers sell cashmere at low(er) prices and it looks awful after a few washes.

thefurryone Wed 01-Dec-10 17:55:20

narkypuffin - even a £50 designer handbag should last longer than a year, unless of course it's fake!

I have to say I'm wondering what you lot all do with your handbags! I bought the one I'm using today 4 years ago I haven't used it every day but have used it very regularly in that time, it's huge so I carry a lot in it and whilst it doesn't look as good as it did on the day I bought it, it's still absolutely fine. It cost me £65.

narkypuffin Wed 01-Dec-10 17:55:21

More cash doesn't necessarily mean better quality or a longer life. I was craving a stupidly pricey purse a couple of years ago but knew that the finish on the leather would mean it would get marked and couldn't be cleaned. I bought a similar one for £5 from Sainsbury's and used it for about a year. It was too marked by then. The pricey one would have been just as marked if not more- softer leather.

jessiealbright Wed 01-Dec-10 19:46:26

I buy cheap secondhand bags for between £1 and £4and they last that long...

DilysPrice Wed 01-Dec-10 19:56:21

My 100 quid bag is losing the coating on its piping after less than a year which is a pisser because it'll be tricky to fix. I paid the money for the design, not robustness though, and I have used it every single day.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: