Talk

Advanced search

To think this is too harsh a punishment for 5/6 year olds?

(75 Posts)
TrappedinSuburbia Wed 01-Dec-10 15:19:45

Please tell me if you think I am being unreasonable, because if not, I am going to raise the matter with the school.

Ds was telling me about school and how one boy who was naughty missed out on his 'golden time' and had to sit at his desk (fair enough so far).

But not only do they have to sit at the desk, they have to sit with their head on the desk so they cannot see whats happening around them!!

I asked ds to demonstrate at dining table, so I asked him are you not allowed to look up? He says No, you can't look up until the teacher tells you, you can look up.

Opinions please...!

classydiva Wed 01-Dec-10 15:20:42

Jeezus christ how archaic, that is pathetic.

christmasheave Wed 01-Dec-10 15:21:09

Sounds fair enough to me, but I'm pretty strict.

taintedsnow Wed 01-Dec-10 15:22:04

I'm not sure tbh. I wouldn't implicitely trust the word of a 5/6 year old, so I'd be taking it with a pinch of salt as is, but to make a big deal out of it, I'd want more info (such as what 'naughty' was in this case, and how long the punishment was for) and I don't think you can reliably get that out of a 5/6 year old child.

HecateQueenOfWitches Wed 01-Dec-10 15:22:30

if it's 2 or 3 minutes then I wouldn't bother too much. If it's half an hour then it's bang out of order.

mumto2andnomore Wed 01-Dec-10 15:23:03

Depends for how long-a couple of minutes fine. Maybe he was laughing/winding the others up so it was to stop that

tooposhtopost Wed 01-Dec-10 15:23:13

What happens if they peek?

Sounds a bit orange jumpsuits and Guantanamo Bay to me, that heads down stuff. Surely a contravention of the Children Act where punishments have to be constructive, I understand.

TrappedinSuburbia Wed 01-Dec-10 15:23:38

Im sure he's telling the truth, very matter of fact about it.

LarissaFeodorovna Wed 01-Dec-10 15:24:06

I HATE this. A teacher at dd1's old school used to make the whole Y2 class sit like this (arms folded on table, face down on arms) for up to 30 mins at a time shock -- told me by a friend who was a TA in the class, so I know it's true.

I think it's completely Victorian and horrible, and suggests that the teacher is not competent. It's also a shocking waste of their time, during which they could be learning or playing.

I would make a fuss, unless it's a complete one-off and you otherwise think the teacher is brilliant.

altinkum Wed 01-Dec-10 15:24:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Imarriedafrog Wed 01-Dec-10 15:24:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Beckyboo4 Wed 01-Dec-10 15:24:34

If any of my children were made to sit withtheir heads on a desk regardless of time I would be mad as hell followed by a visit to the headteacher - that form of punishment completely unnecessary

curlymama Wed 01-Dec-10 15:26:52

I think it is wrong for any child to have to physically hold any position for any legnth of time. One or two minutes maybe, but I still think a better punishment could be thought of. Any longer than that is WRONG! I also think it indicates lazy behaviour control from a teacher with poor skills for dealing with children this young.

TrappedinSuburbia Wed 01-Dec-10 15:28:07

I would probably fall asleep as well and think I actually did once at school, but we were playing a game, heads down, thumbs up lol.

I think its the standard punishment as I asked ds if he had ever been punished like this (he's a total chatterbox), and he said yes, but only for a short time!!

TrappedinSuburbia Wed 01-Dec-10 15:30:04

Firstly I assumed that they had to sit at their desk and miss out on the golden time (whatever that is) and that was the punishment but ds just kept talking and said about the head on desk!

Miggsie Wed 01-Dec-10 15:32:20

It sounds like a variation on the "standing in corner with back to the room" which we used ot have.

I suppose it is fair enough if it is only for a short time. My friend's boy attends a school where they are sent to stand in the corridor or, for minor offences, sit on their hands not speaking.

It is meant to stop them being disruptive?

Is it a standard thing for all misdemenours?

In DD's class they get kept in at playtime or miss golden time if naughty.

Lonnie Wed 01-Dec-10 15:34:52

I think I would jokingly say to my childs teacher.. You will never guess what my ds said to me he said that when you are not allowed golden time because you have been naughty you have to sit at your desk with your head in your arms not allowed to look around.. Kids eh? grin then see how she reacts if she laughs you will know that ds had it completely wrong but if she says "yes thats right" then you can express concern about this form of disipline and ask her if she would consider alternative ways..

ChippingIn Wed 01-Dec-10 15:37:47

I would be OK with it if it is only for a few minutes, but not if longer than 5 minutes.

I don't think there's anything wrong with standing in the corner or sitting on their hands either.

All harmless ways of stopping them disrupting the rest of the class.

WFT is Golden Time - I presume it's time when they can choose what they want to do? (Too much like Golden Shower and I would have a face like this hmm everytime I had to say it! Nothing wrong with 'Free time').

heymango Wed 01-Dec-10 15:38:22

I think that is awful! It is punishment enough surely to miss out on 'golden time'?

I would enquire gently if it is indeed the case, and question the reasoning behind it.

heymango Wed 01-Dec-10 15:40:03

Actually, I think standing in the corner or sitting on your hands is fine - just having your head down so you can't see anything is a bit Guantanamo Bay (drama queen emoticon!)

QueenGigantaurofMnet Wed 01-Dec-10 15:40:09

i wouldn't be happy.

TrappedinSuburbia Wed 01-Dec-10 15:40:47

Yeah, its the not being able to see, I don't agree with standing facing a wall either.

to me its like using the naughty step with a blindfold on the child!

ShanahansRevenge Wed 01-Dec-10 15:44:11

I would wonder if the child had gotten things mixed up...which is a good sign that if it IS true then it is a far too harsh punishment.

I would ask some other parents if they had heard anything similar....we always check with one nother in our school...the playground is a hotbed of rumour...tales o evil teachers and weird kids abound!

ChippingIn Wed 01-Dec-10 15:49:58

The thing with the 'naughty step' or whatever, is if you are doing it at home, it's usually somewhere boring isn't it - where they can think about why they are there - not so easy in a classroom.

It is just a way of stopping them interacting with the other children and being silly/having fun even though they are supposedly in 'time out'.

It's not really that big a deal unless they are there for a long time.

ChippingIn Wed 01-Dec-10 15:51:36

I think a lot of parents would do well to back the teachers and simply say 'Well, it's a shame, but if that's what happens when you are naughty, best you aren't naughty!'

<Not a teacher - you couldn't pay me enough! To deal with the parents that it is! Love the kids!!>

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: