Talk

Advanced search

to think my DS is not normal!

(13 Posts)
Doigthebountyeater Wed 01-Dec-10 14:00:03

He is 4 and has no older siblings or cousins etc to put him in the picture yet refuses point blank to believe in Santa! If anyone mentions it to him he gets a superior look on his face and replies, 'I don't believe in anyone except God.' (We aren't even a religious family!) WTF? I am desperate for him to be a believer! That's one of the little thrills of being a parent!

I asked him who he thought brought all the presents sine 'daddy and I are too poor to buy all those toys you know' and he replied,'I suppose my friends bought them or other adults I know.' Surely to God that is not normal! My parents had to take me to one side when I was 10 and break it to me that Santa didn't exist. I was shocked and devastated!

MrManager Wed 01-Dec-10 14:19:29

Sounds like a very rational young fellow!

Ask him why he believes in God - maybe you can convince him that Santa and God are similar enough to believe in?

Doigthebountyeater Wed 01-Dec-10 14:23:41

Yes. It seems strange that he believes in God (despite having a Dawkins-folllower of a father) whilst rejecting Santa outright.

ilovehens Wed 01-Dec-10 14:26:07

Santa's boring anyway.

There's nothing wrong with children believing in God - it can give them a lot of comfort esp. when they're young. Don't diss his beliefs, he can always change them when he gets older.

MrsBananaGrabber Wed 01-Dec-10 14:31:43

No, he's fine. Some of the things my two DS's come out with my God I have no idea where they come from, my 9 year old is really good at talking complete bollocks.

ragged Wed 01-Dec-10 14:49:35

He's independent minded. He doesn't follow the crowd. He makes up his own mind.

Why are these bad things? confused

JustAnother Wed 01-Dec-10 15:03:10

well, you could say he's not normal (as in average), but that can be a very good thing. Why convince him that Santa exists now, if he's happy not believing?

kenobi Wed 01-Dec-10 15:24:09

He sounds absolutely genius. Love the rationality! Future scientist there methinks.

Do you think believing in God might be a little bit to wind up your DH? grin

classydiva Wed 01-Dec-10 15:26:26

Aaaaw how cute, much older than his years.

I would seriously get him off the god step though.

Try to get him more interested in science and go the evolution route!

elaff Wed 01-Dec-10 15:49:29

You should be proud of your son, in that he doesn't follow the crowd and questions things more than other four year old. If he doesn't want to play along, then don't force him.

TheSmallClanger Wed 01-Dec-10 15:57:03

He sounds hilarious. Does he have any other interesting views on things?

noblegiraffe Wed 01-Dec-10 16:21:07

Show him this cartoon

marialuisa Wed 01-Dec-10 16:24:24

If it helps DD stopped "believing" at 3, rising 4. It really doesn't seem to have spoilt her enjoyment of Christams-she bought her pony an advent calendar-but saved a lot of hassle about the tooth fairy and so on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now