Talk

Advanced search

to not make Christmas cookies with my DS

(13 Posts)
noeyedear Wed 01-Dec-10 12:57:12

because he's playing up? I promised him that we would make some Christmas biscuits today to hang on our tree, and we were both really excited, bought all the ingredients, a little apron, cutters etc.

He's then peed himself twice (recently potty trained, but knows what to do) and is refusing to eat his lunch by himself. He's hungry, but wants me to feed him. He's nearly 3.

I'm so annoyed! I work most of the week and really wanted to do something special with him today. I feel it's ruined now and I feel like I will be rewarding him if we still do it. He was also due to open the first door on his advent calendar after lunch, but hasn't eaten it, so can't!

He's my first DC, and this is the first Christmas where he's really been able to appreciate it! Honestly!

tinierclanger Wed 01-Dec-10 12:59:02

It sounds like he is overexcited and just wants your attention, and is being a bit babyish. Depriving him of all the nice stuff you promised to do with him isn't going to make the situation any better. Kiss and make up and enjoy yourselves together, and don't create so much pressure on the pair of you!

narkypuffin Wed 01-Dec-10 12:59:51

Is he coming down with something?

noeyedear Wed 01-Dec-10 13:03:09

Narky he's just got over a cold. Tiner I know. I feel a bit bad now. I shouted at him and now he's sitting eating his lunch!

FooffysFestiveShmooffery Wed 01-Dec-10 13:04:29

As you said though, you work most of the week and this has been built up as a very exciting day what with the Advent calendar and baking biscuits.
He is still only 2 and children of all ages react in different ways when excited, upset, whatever and behave in seemingly daft or inexplicable ways. ( my 8 yr old included) He hasn't burnt the place down or anything too extreme, I wouldnt let it spoil your plans. Brush it off, make your biscuits, have as lovely a time as you can and if necessary make him wait a bit longer for his calendar.

KeithTalent Wed 01-Dec-10 13:06:34

Why won't you feed him?

He obviously wants your attention- you should giv it to him.

He is 2- yes he is acting like a baby, because he's not much more than a baby.

Give him a cuddle and make the biscuits.

bytheMoonlight Wed 01-Dec-10 13:09:58

He won't see it as you rewarding him so you might as well rescue as much of the day as possible and have fun making the biscuits.

Can I ask what recipe you are using as I'm looking to do this with 3 yr old dd

toddlerwrangler Wed 01-Dec-10 13:10:30

Bit harsh, but then they really know how to pres our buttons.

Assuming he is well an doesnt look like he is coming down with someonthing (in which case the exercise will be a disaster anyway) why not a big cuddle, explain to him why you were cross ( apologise maybe but only if you feel you were out of line a bit) then have a biscit fest with him? Maybe make a special biscuit for each other

tigitigi Wed 01-Dec-10 13:11:41

If he is still misbehaving put him in time out let him say sorry and then carry on with your day as normal. Sounds like he is a bit hyper because he is so happy to have you round and that you have built it up in your own mind too.

Have a fresh start and enjoy the afternoon. Hope all goes well,

noeyedear Wed 01-Dec-10 13:13:51

This was a bit of a rubbish AIBU, because reading just a few posts has made me realise I am! I'm off now to download the recipe and get the ingredients out!! blush

Keith Don't even mention the feeding! He really is the most stubborn child ever born! It's taken me ages to get him to eat by himself, even though he is perfectly capable of doing it at nursery and has really good hand control. I can't go back!

noeyedear Wed 01-Dec-10 13:16:07

bythemoonlight I typed in gingerbread biscuits and got a recipe for parents and children to do together. I think the website was 'Cook" See? This afternoon has been a week in the making! I probably did build it up in my head too much!

tinierclanger Wed 01-Dec-10 13:17:37

Hope you have a nice afternoon. smile

noeyedear Wed 01-Dec-10 15:11:48

Thanks everyone! We did have a lovely afternoon, and we now have a lovely batch of gingerbread biscuits to show for it- all potty/food trauma forgotten!grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now