Talk

Advanced search

to think the Health Visitors should have visited me more than once

(13 Posts)
BextheBambi Wed 01-Dec-10 09:59:01

A little bit of history- I am technically classed as a teenage mum, although being 19 and very mature for my age I don't see it that way. I was diagnosed with psychosis 4 years ago but it has now cleared up, however it's triggered by high stress situations. DF has Bi-Polar disorder. I have now been diagnosed with PND and doctors are keeping a close eye on me due to my past history.

I was unaware that health visitors are meant to visit more than once, this is my 1st DC, didn't realise until the other mums at my NCT group were saying about the health visitors finally signing them off after 2 months of regular visits.I mentioned this to my doctors and they said it wasn't the correct proceedure either, they then contacted them. Still nothing.

Last time the health visitor came they rang the previous day and said that they'd be over at SOME time tommorrow and that I should wait in all day until they arrived. I was a bit shocked at that as I go one regular walks with DD to get her settled, and to get me back into shape.

As far as I was aware We are classed as a High Risk family, even though I seem to be coping alot better on these anti-d's is it not to much to ask for someone to check everything is ok?

MumNWLondon Wed 01-Dec-10 10:07:17

YANBU, however can you can go to see HVs at their clinic whenever you want? Might be a good idea to head that way every couple of weeks.

If you do want home visits then ask, but in my limited experience this means waiting in all day.

DrSeuss Wed 01-Dec-10 10:16:40

Yes they should have visited you but personally, Health Visitors drive me insane and rarely have anything sensible to say. And they never give you an ETA so you sit and wait for them for hours. You sound like you're doing fine. Stick with the NCT, the other mums there will help you with anything you need t know.

splashy Wed 01-Dec-10 10:21:35

Have you told the health visitors you would like more support? I'm sure if you did you would get more visits.

I'm surprised about what you said about 2 months of regular visits, this certainly isn't the case everywhere in the country. Where I live you get one visit, unless they feel like you need more support.

Ryoko Wed 01-Dec-10 10:27:27

Which one is the Health Vistor?

I had a woman come over the day after he was born unannounced, who checked his weight made sure I know how to deal with formula and told me a few horror stories about what some people do, she told me a midwife would be coming to see me in the next few days.

which she did, she came round about 3 times in 2 weeks and that was it, I'm a bit confused about it, because my boy is now 7 months, and he hasn't had the bookstart thing that it says about in the red book, can I just email the BookStart people for it or something? I looked on the website and it just said the same thing it did in the book, that my health visitor will bring me the pack at around 6 months.

TheUnmentioned Wed 01-Dec-10 10:30:40

call your gp and ask for the hv phone number and call them.

2 months of contact is v unusual ime. dd is 9 weeks - hv came out at 12 days and then at 3 weeks because i asked her to.

pumperspumpkin Wed 01-Dec-10 10:35:37

Ryoko - Round here you get the Bookstart book either from the HV at an 8 month check (isn't it a between 8-12 months check, depending on where you live? not sure) to which you are invited to by letter from the HV, or you can collect them from the library if you take the red book along at 8 months, or they hand them out at some baby groups/nurseries.

OP - round here you get one visit from a HV and then you go to clinic unless you have been spotted as a risk for whatever reason - I had a couple of months of home visits before being signed off. Sounds like you fell through a hole for whatever reason (or you seemed fine and they signed you off too soon).

HelenLG Wed 01-Dec-10 10:42:53

The HV came out twice, both times before DS was 6 weeks, then we had to go to clinic once a month.

Last time I went she said I didn't have to go back for six weeks or so if I didn't want to.

TheUnmentioned Wed 01-Dec-10 10:45:36

helen you dont have to go at all if you dont want to.

HelenLG Wed 01-Dec-10 10:56:20

I didn't realise that!!!

I thought if you didn't go the social workers come and get you!

HelenLG Wed 01-Dec-10 10:56:50

there's supposed to be an or in there...

TwentiethCenturyHeffa Wed 01-Dec-10 11:04:31

HVs come round once here, and from then on you have to go to the Stay and Play to see them if you want to. We don't get Bookstart packs until the 12 month check (didn't see an HV then either).

BextheBambi Wed 01-Dec-10 16:16:33

I just thought it was a bit unusual as my GP kept saying so did you see the HV this week? then looked a bit shocked when i said no. last week? no. then he rang the office to say I should have been seen more than once. According to some of my friends its quite common round here for the younger mums to get missed.

The visit i did have the HV forced me to feed DD even though I explained she'd been fed not 20 mins before hand then commented that i obviously wasn't feeding her properly as she threw up. I was so annoyed as I've got loads of experience with babies from relatives and friends.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: