Talk

Advanced search

AIBU To Be Annoyed That School Has Closed?

(113 Posts)
LeQueen Wed 01-Dec-10 08:46:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Serendippy Wed 01-Dec-10 08:48:01

YABU. We all know schools don't shut on a whim. It is irritating though smile

LaurieFairyonthetreeEatsCake Wed 01-Dec-10 08:48:31

That's a bit crap - is it a hilly school with lots of pitched roofs that might make the playground dangerous?

GrimmaTheNome Wed 01-Dec-10 08:50:17

Or is there more snow forecast for today in your area maybe?

kreecherlivesupstairs Wed 01-Dec-10 08:51:45

YABU. My DH is a teacher, he would love a day off but, he has too much work to do with his pupils to want a snow day. It is freezing cold here with a nasty wind.

lukewarmcupofmulledwine Wed 01-Dec-10 08:53:00

Yanbu. I'm not saying that there might not be good reasons for closing, but it's pretty poor that as a while this country doesn't seem to plan for snowy weather. It's not that unusual fgs.

LeQueen Wed 01-Dec-10 08:53:18

DanZZZenAroundTheTreeAgain Wed 01-Dec-10 08:54:11

doesn't sound necessary to close the school in your situation unless the heating system has collapsed or something like that.

I have had to take dd to school in Germany in conditions a lot worse than that, heaps colder, slippery ice everywhere or very thick snow. It isn't great and I would rather have stayed home! Where you are, it sounds ok though

LeQueen Wed 01-Dec-10 08:54:12

sarah293 Wed 01-Dec-10 08:54:34

Message withdrawn

DanZZZenAroundTheTreeAgain Wed 01-Dec-10 08:55:19

could you imagine if schools in Russia closed when there was 3-4 inches of snow, when would they ever be open, presuming they get a normal summer holiday?

Serendippy Wed 01-Dec-10 08:56:08

LeQueen please tell me you are joking about the teachers. You do know that they don't get to make these decisions, right? It is the headteacher(s) who have the call.

Agree that there may be worsening weather conditions or that they had some trouble getting pupils home yesterday. Also agree that the country as a whole should be better prepared for snow. But PLEASE don't blame the lazy teachers!

LaurieFairyonthetreeEatsCake Wed 01-Dec-10 08:56:30

Teachers don't decide that though - it's usually the local authority or the head (and heads never close if they can help it)

Last year DH's head wondered if it was possible for DH to get into London on the train and come out on a different line to the school - a round trip of 3.5 hours (rather than drive the 30 minutes).

The head was having a very bad day under pressure from the local authority.

sarah293 Wed 01-Dec-10 08:56:35

Message withdrawn

borderslass Wed 01-Dec-10 08:56:47

last year council did a blanket closure of all schools this year it's up to individual schools.It's madness cars and lorries are stuck and abandoned all over the place police are staying don't go out unless really necessary but they open schools up if DD2's school was closer she would go but no way is she walking on the roads in this.

sarah293 Wed 01-Dec-10 08:57:20

Message withdrawn

LeQueen Wed 01-Dec-10 08:57:27

LeQueen Wed 01-Dec-10 08:58:16

sarah293 Wed 01-Dec-10 08:58:41

Message withdrawn

Maisiethemorningsidecat Wed 01-Dec-10 09:00:53

What are the surrounding areas like for the teachers who have to commute? No-one should have to risk life and limb to get to work.

LeQueen Wed 01-Dec-10 09:01:07

LeQueen Wed 01-Dec-10 09:02:05

Hulababy Wed 01-Dec-10 09:03:02

Both my school are DD's school are closed. They never close normally, it is very unusual. Yesterday they were both open and it was fine. DH's car got out and I walked the rest of the way.

However there is approx 35cm outside my house and that is not the deepest sections. My car is going no where. DH's car, which has 4 wheel drive, is going nowhere. There are no buses running.

fedupofnamechanging Wed 01-Dec-10 09:07:22

Lived in Germany for 6 months and most of that time I was up to my arse in snow. The schools didn't close, shops still got deliveries, it's a cliche but the trains still ran on time and everyone went to work. The difference is that they were prepared and everywhere was gritted. Time our councils got their act together.

Portofino Wed 01-Dec-10 09:12:19

karma, I am in Belgium and it's the same here. We had an horrendous winter last year and the school never closed once. Everyone made it to work.

There was one day where I dropped dd off, started making my way home and actually went straight back to collect her, as conditions were deteriorating so much I was worried about making it back there at the end of the day. But we live about 12 miles from the school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now