Talk

Advanced search

to expect there not to be an old cigarette butt in my mushrooms?

(4 Posts)
drivingmisscrazy Tue 30-Nov-10 19:12:52

packets of dried porcini mushrooms, good value in Lidl. Make yummy risotto for DP, me and DD (22 mo), partly by infusing dried mushrooms in veg stock. About 1/3 of the way into my dinner (which was, up until this point, delicious) I spit out something because it tastes foul: a cigarette butt! Now admittedly it does look a bit like a dried mushroom, but I've basically allowed my toddler to ingest several hundred toxins in her dinner (I'm sure in such small amounts that it won't do any harm, but still).

What should I do? Take it back to Lidl (they only stock the stuff, it's packed somewhere in Italy)? Ask for a refund, or more?

melpomene Tue 30-Nov-10 19:15:51

Ask for a refund and compensation (eg a voucher) from Lidl.

If you feel strongly you could also report it to Trading Standards too.

TheChamomileLawn Tue 30-Nov-10 19:17:09

Environmental health!!

drivingmisscrazy Tue 30-Nov-10 19:20:24

oh what a cool nn! wish I'd thought of that (would probably have picked a different muse). I don't think I would go as far as trading standards - it was revolting and clearly the packing factory's hygiene is not that great, but not actually life-threatening. It looks so similar in the bag, that you'd not pick it out easily

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now