Talk

Advanced search

to wish that people would put up an amazon wish list

(14 Posts)
OracleInaCoracle Tue 30-Nov-10 18:41:02

I am of course half joking. SIL and BIL are very well off and pretty much buy anything they want when they want it. they dc's are fab to buy for, even though they have pretty much anything I am of course fab auntie lissie and manage to get them something relatively inexpensive that they love. their parents are a totally differnt matter, and im sick of asking what they want for christmas to be told.. "whatever". this year we have agreed on a £5-10 budget for the adults which pretty much limits me to fecking toiletries.
I know they use amazon, why cant they put up a wishlist with cd's, books.. anything that doesnt smell of bloody mandarin!

TrinityMotherOfRhinos Tue 30-Nov-10 18:44:03

no no no it doesn't limit you to toiletries

if they wont ask for something then just give them a joke present

like a desktop vacuum
or mini tiny remote control car

go onto amazon and put in gadget in the search

OracleInaCoracle Tue 30-Nov-10 18:46:04

ah, tried that in the past and they said thank you... and it was in the next charity shop run. I'll just be stern and say in my scariest voice: "I want to buy you each a book, or CD. what would you like?"

fedupofnamechanging Tue 30-Nov-10 18:49:21

you could buy them an amazon or itunes voucher?

OracleInaCoracle Tue 30-Nov-10 18:56:51

ah, i ould but I really dont like vouchers. the only people I will buy vouchers for are my grotty teenage brothers, and thats because everytime i look for presents for them I am drawn to trainsets and board books.

FreudianFoxSquishedByAPouffe Tue 30-Nov-10 18:59:08

I wouldn't buy vouchers for a well off person tbh. Could you just get wine and chocolates?

HopeForTheJingleBells Tue 30-Nov-10 19:05:34

Get them something they wouldn't necessarily get for themselves. Books and CDs off a Wish List are a bit pointless, I think, for someone who is well off.

You need something a bit more personal eg a lovely wine, or some nice posh coffee beans (if they like that sort of thing), or an unusual liquer, a nice cork/bottle opener thingy etc
I think either something consumable, or something useful is the way to go.

OracleInaCoracle Tue 30-Nov-10 19:05:38

i could. have found a boyzone album that i dont think she has (i shall double check) and i shall ask her what music he like, they both spend a lot of time in the car so CDs will at least be used.

OracleInaCoracle Tue 30-Nov-10 19:07:36

last year we bought them a beautiful photo frame that we filled with pics of the dc's, so will have difficulty topping that. they loved it.

Earlybird Tue 30-Nov-10 19:09:58

<off on a slight tangent>

How do you access another person's Amazon wish list? Or is that a numpty sort of question? (If so, please take pity on me!)

TrinityMotherOfRhinos Tue 30-Nov-10 19:24:05

just buy them something fun and gadgety and not care if its in the next charity shop run (how did you even know?)

its the thought that counts

OracleInaCoracle Tue 30-Nov-10 19:27:07

you go into the wish list section then enter the other persons name or e-mail address and it locates the list for you. i have a couple of books and cd's in mine

OracleInaCoracle Tue 30-Nov-10 19:30:14

my nephew told me grin thanks for advice, I shall have a mooch.

LemonDifficult Tue 30-Nov-10 19:32:50

Lissie, everyone except recovering alcoholics likes to get nice booze and there's lots of fab wine for £10 - could you buy them a bottle? Or a really nice fino sherry?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now