Talk

Advanced search

To wonder if I'll ever feel well again

(11 Posts)
Mishy1234 Tue 30-Nov-10 18:24:56

Ever since having DS1 nearly 3 years ago, I've had one illness after another (sickness, colds, throat infections etc). I can honestly say that I have never been as ill as I have been since having children.

Is it just me? I was never sick before and managed to dodge most of the office lurgies.

I'm absolutely sick of being sick, although I know I have no right to moan and there are people who are really ill and suffering out there.

But, FFS what is it that makes you sick so often? Lots of my friends are the same. Is it just the toddler strains being more hardcore than others?

I know IABU to complain. Please someone, give me the kick up the arse I obviously deserve.

TattyDevine Tue 30-Nov-10 18:27:26

They are like vermin. Once they start any kind of day care they just bring all sorts of bugs home and they are so in-your-face and suck their fingers and stick them places and all that, its impossible not to pick it up from them.

Apparently it goes on for around 7 years, then you have almost total immunity from just about everything for 10 years and enjoy excellent health. By then the viruses mutate but it doesn't matter because your kids are 17 and move out and you finally have your life back.

Do I have a link with evidence? No way grin

onceamai Tue 30-Nov-10 18:31:36

No, I was just like this between ds and dd (and a pg inbetween). Constantly told things would clear up, were viral, and they never did. Chesty coughs, sinusitis, very very sore throats - like razor blades but which the doc said weren't tonsilitis, viral laryngytis (sp?). Had pleurisy when 20 weeks with dd; admitted to hospital, iv antibiotics - OK felt absolutely terrible for a fortnight but after that - nothing - totally and completely well. Felt better than I had for more than three years. Always been convinced there was an underlying bacterial infection somewhere that just didn't completely go away.

Mishy1234 Tue 30-Nov-10 18:37:35

Vermin...yes, a very good description TD! By OMG, 7 years. I think by that time I will have been finished off completely.

onceamai- what you describe is EXACTLY what I have atm. DS1 had a virus last week and I went to the drs with what I was convinced was tonsillitis (so sore I can't swallow my own saliva. sorry if tmi). Apparently I have a virus and there's nothing he can do for me. I've been taking ibuprofen and paracetamol, neither of which are touching the pain.

Dreading the next 6.5 years, as I guess DS2 will bring new and interesting strains home.

tethersjinglebellend Tue 30-Nov-10 18:40:27

Have you had your thyroid tested? When I had DD the same happened to me- turned out I had developed an underactive thyroid during pregnancy and didn't have it diagnosed until a year later. It makes you more susceptible to bugs apparently. Anyway, have been a lot less ill since taking medication for it.

GiddyPickle Tue 30-Nov-10 18:43:46

YADNBU - it is so draining to feel ill all the time. And yes O.K there are people with far worse who suffer on a daily basis and of course its not the same but YANBU to be fed up with having one bug after another.

I think its quite common certainly after having your first child. When my DS was aged 2 until he was about 8 I had a constant stream of colds, ear infections, tonsillitus, impetigo at one point (that was pleasant!), tummy upsets, fevers, headaches etc. And I was always the type of person who never ever got ill. No matter what was going around work I never used to catch it. I never had sick days and hadn't had a cold in about 5 years before DS.

I tried all sorts of immune boosting cures but really it just gradually got better as he got older and with DD (second child) its been a lot less overall.

AphraBen Tue 30-Nov-10 18:48:25

Its totally normal. You just have to take better care of yourself which we often forget to do, when taking care of the children. Get more sleep, eat and drink healthily, get exercise, rest of a non-sleep kind. Make sure you're not ill in any way (blood tests to see about sugar levels, iron levels, etc) and fix what you can fix.

I also recommend getting a flu jab. grin

YuleBeLucky Tue 30-Nov-10 18:51:10

I'm the same, OP.

When pregnant with my second child (3 yrs ago, now), I was really unwell. Had hypermesis and obstetric cholestasis, got tonsiltiis twice and was just generally sick for 9 months. Since then, I have had one throat infection/headcold after another. I had glandular fever in the spring (went on for months....dull!), and again, since then every time I am a bit rundown I get a bad throat and fever. It is tedious and annoying.

Not the kids passing on infections, as they are rarely ill!

Mishy1234 Tue 30-Nov-10 19:20:37

It's comforting to know it's not abnormal at any rate. I suppose you also never really get a chance to recover properly as you're always on call.

tethers- no, I haven't had my thyroid tested. Will look into that, thanks.

YBL- your story sounds pretty similar to mine with DS1. Didn't get OC with DS2 though which was lucky. Glandular fever is a nasty one too. Hard to recover from. Hope you're feeling better now.

Guess it's a matter of soldiering on I suppose and looking into a flu jab too. DH never seems to get anything. Very annoying, but also fortunate as he's working pretty hard atm.

GiddyPickle Tue 30-Nov-10 23:23:42

Mishy - that's exactly it. With pre school kids at home (or even school age children to look after) you never get a chance to have 3 days in bed and truly recover from any nasty bugs so they linger on and a month later you get clobbered by something else.

Dillie Tue 30-Nov-10 23:31:20

You have my total sympathy op!

I remember the first year was awful, but now what my dd gets, I get. As you say my dh escapes too!

I caught mild pneumonia in august, so that pulled me down a little. So any cold that my dd catches I get 2 fold!! grin

Plenty of fruit & veg, supplements and lots of sleep should help a little ... Or at least decrease the symptoms!

Roll on the summer!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now