Talk

Advanced search

to not want DS to be weighed and measured at school

(169 Posts)
choufleur Tue 30-Nov-10 18:06:38

Got letter from DS's school today to say that he will be weighed and measured (obviously along with all other kids in his class) to see if he's a healthy weight.

I think it's a completely pointless thing to do. And one that could potentially contribute to healthy children having issues about their weight.

AIBU to not let him be weighed and measured?

claricebeansmum Tue 30-Nov-10 18:07:41

Does the letter say why and who will access info?

TBH I wouldn't care.

peeringintothevoid Tue 30-Nov-10 18:09:34

YANBU at all. There was a thread about someone recently who withheld their consent, and the school weighed the child anyway. shock

Seona1973 Tue 30-Nov-10 18:10:28

didnt bother me at all - dd had it done last year

sarah293 Tue 30-Nov-10 18:10:58

Message withdrawn

Feenie Tue 30-Nov-10 18:11:25

It's not the school - it's the nurse's service from the PCT.

Vintagepommery Tue 30-Nov-10 18:12:02

YABU - if your DS is a healthy weight/height then what is the problem?

I don't get how it could lead to healthy children having issues about their weight. And I wouldn't say it is pointless when there is a growing number of obese kids about.

CoteDAzur Tue 30-Nov-10 18:12:16

Why on earth not?

It would make him more self-conscious to be one of the few, if not the only one, whose mum didn't let him be measured. Does mum think he is fat?

BelligerentGhoul Tue 30-Nov-10 18:12:21

I don't see why people get so uptight about this. Some children are overweight and their parents have allowed this to happen. If your child is a healthy weight, why would you care?

TooPragmatic Tue 30-Nov-10 18:16:01

How on earth could stepping on the scales lead to your child having issues with their weight? your child will definitely not be told their weight by the nurse.

I think you're getting a bit worried about nothing.

hellview96 Tue 30-Nov-10 18:19:26

No you are not, I totally agree with you.

I will not be having my child weighed and measured in school, I don't allow scales at home. Weight should not become an issue for children, only interests in healthy eating should be brought up.

choufleur Tue 30-Nov-10 18:20:37

I'm not worried about DS's weight (he's a solid little boy but not a a bit of fat on him).

I think it's very contrary of the school. on the one hand they ban certain food, want to weigh kids etc and on the other cancel PE at the moment so that the DCS can practise the navity play. If health is so important to them then they should do PE (they only do one session a week as it is), plus a 20 minute swimming session.

ArthurPewty Tue 30-Nov-10 18:22:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

choufleur Tue 30-Nov-10 18:22:59

Also agree with you hellview. Don't have scales at home. DS eats a balanced diet (some days more healthy than others but it balances out). Ds has come home from school saying that they are going to be weighed to see if they are fat (he's 4 ffs - he shouldn't be worrying about that)!

Feenie Tue 30-Nov-10 18:25:12

IT'S NOT THE SCHOOL! They have no say in it whatsoever.

choufleur Tue 30-Nov-10 18:25:25

As far as I am aware if you child is overweight all that happens is parents get something through the post to tell them with guidance on what is healthy/bad to eat and advice to do more exercise. I can't see that will have a major impact on the obesity problem that apparently exists amongst very small children.

onceamai Tue 30-Nov-10 18:25:49

YANBU. The country's almost bankrupt, a young child dies weekly due to abuse and neglect and the health professionals think it's appropriate to spend money on this. hmm

Bucharest Tue 30-Nov-10 18:25:59

Eh?

I don't have scales either. But I wouldn't have an issue with dd being weighed, unless it was obvious she was clinically obese or something. (in which case I'd probably be chinny about it, but only because secretly I was mortified) I remember when I was in the juniors helping out the school nurse weigh the little ones, they all loved it. They didn't go home with an immediate eating disorder and body dysmorphia or anything.

mazzystartled Tue 30-Nov-10 18:25:59

Yanbu, I withheld consent for this.

BMI is a very blunt instrument in relation to children, for starters. The programme is more about data collection/propaganda than the care of individuals IMO.

JoBettany Tue 30-Nov-10 18:27:31

Seriously, it's not the school!!

TattyDevine Tue 30-Nov-10 18:34:11

I will not be giving my permission for my child to be weighed at school.

If I want my child to be weighed or measured at any point, it will be done by me or my GP, in a way and context that I deem appropriate.

Its not something that I feel should be done at school nor do I want it to be something done without me present.

ArthurPewty Tue 30-Nov-10 18:35:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sarah293 Tue 30-Nov-10 18:36:46

Message withdrawn

poobumfartbollocks Tue 30-Nov-10 18:37:13

I had this issue with DD2

She was being very badly bullied due to her size - she is tiny

The nurse weighed her and measured her and then they wrote to me to say that they were "concerned" about her size and wanted to measure her more often.

I phoned the nurse and asked them not to weigh/measure her as there were issues with bullying and that as these were based around her size it would not be helpful for DD2 to be pulled out of class to be measure due to her smallness

The stupid nurse could not accept that I was refusing consent. I asked her what she was going to do with the measurements. She said "We just need to measure her" "What for?" "She's on the lowest centile we need to measure her" "What for"

You get the drift.

Eventually she admitted that if DD2 continued to measure small they would insist on a referral to a paediatrician.

I took great delight in pointing out that one of my best friends who has known me since school was the paed she would be getting referred to and that he was already aware of her small size and had no issues with it grin

To quote him "you were tiny at school poo and you caught up I'm sure she will be the same"

YANBU - if you don't want your child weighed refuse - that's why they ask for consent AFAIK you have a CHOICE

cat64 Tue 30-Nov-10 18:51:13

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now