Talk

Advanced search

Nuisance calls "from Microsoft"

(25 Posts)
Anice Tue 30-Nov-10 17:41:27

I hope no one thinks I am being unreasonable about this but I am getting really fed up with receiving nuisance calls allegedly from Microsoft, although sometimes its Sky. I average about four per day and BT say I can't do anything about them as they come from India.
Does anyone else get bothered by them every day too?

TattyDevine Tue 30-Nov-10 17:48:44

No but I've heard its a scam, is it where they ask you to pay for something to fix your virus or something?

I haven't got on their "list" but if I did, I think I'd just change my number - there's only a handful of people who need to know it so telling those people would be no real drama. Would this be an option for you?

I changed my number a few years ago because I had to change the phone points in my house, and apparently it was the only way or something. In the meantime I registered the new number on the telephone preference service, and since that change have been very careful about who I give the number - like if I buy something on a website, I give the old number which no longer exists because they dont need to contact me. If the order doesn't turn up I'll ring them. Etc. So I'm really cagey about it.

I barely ever get any unsolicited calls. My phone rings about twice a week. Obviously I have a mobile which is what most social stuff gets done with.

queribus Tue 30-Nov-10 17:50:13

I've had these - from Sky, Microsoft, BT etc. - but all from an overseas call centre. I contacted both MS and Sky because I was getting several calls a week and both confirmed that the calls are NOT from them. It's some sort of scam to get you to hand over credit card details.

I used to shout very loudly in French at the caller and they stopped within a couple of days. They are very annoying, though.

pjmama Tue 30-Nov-10 17:54:18

I get at least two a week from the criminals who are trying to convince me there's something wrong with my PC. They are total bloody liars. They con you into thinking you have a terrible virus on your PC and then show you how to give them remote access to it so they can "fix" it. The best case scenario is that they sell you some software that you don't need. The worst is that they now have access to everything on your machine and they put malicious software on there to steal from you in many and various ways.

Tell them to get a proper job and hang up. I find it very hard to believe that these people are just "making a living" and don't know exactly how immoral, despicable and downright illegal what they're doing is.

Pet hate. I'll get of my soapbox now.

chibi Tue 30-Nov-10 17:56:35

tell them you are with microsoft too and were just picking up the phone to call them when it rang

then blow a raspberry and tell them to fuck off and not call again

it worked for me

healthyElfy Tue 30-Nov-10 17:58:46

Its a scam, they are hoping you know nothing about computers. Try sounds ultra confident and tell them you use Linux. They will realise you cant be tricked and give up, hopefully. Worked so far for me.

TattyDevine Tue 30-Nov-10 18:00:59

I'm thinking if I get these calls at some point, it would be useful to say "I dont have a computer, though" or "I dont have Sky, though" - that would put a stop to it surely?

What a pain in the arse.

LLKH Tue 30-Nov-10 18:02:04

Definitely a scam. My friend's mum just got hit by them.

healthyElfy Yes, the Linux trick is very good.

Hassledge Tue 30-Nov-10 18:02:08

I tell them I have a Mac (I don't). They hang up. It is a scam.

pjmama Tue 30-Nov-10 18:03:20

Or get caller ID and don't answer it if it flashes up "INTERNATIONAL" or "WITHHELD". If it's anyone who legitimately needs to speak with you and isn't just trying to con you or sell you something, then they'll leave you a message. TPS doesn't work on these bastards unfortunately.

MaryBS Tue 30-Nov-10 18:03:59

I only had them once. I just said to them "You're lying just so you can get money out of me" and hung up.

DilysPrice Tue 30-Nov-10 18:11:34

All normal rules of polite conversation do not apply to these scum - feel free to be as abusive as your imagination allows as long as you avoid racism obv.
What would you say if you saw someone's hand in an old lady's handbag? I'd say this is definitely worse - the "you have won a prize" ones are worst IMO.

jansmy Tue 30-Nov-10 18:20:23

I've had these also,All saying they were calling from microsoft telling me I've clicked a button telling them that my computer is running slow,and that they can fix it,the latest one was in a very strong asian accent(male)who introduced himself as Jane...I find mentioning the words scam and few choice expletives encourage them to hang up.:O

riksti Tue 30-Nov-10 18:27:08

I actually really enjoy talking to them. I know a little bit about computers (not a lot, mind you) but it's fairly obvious they know even less. Once I asked what sort of virus it was - trojan, worm or are we talking spyware. Apparently it was an 'online virus' that isn't on your computer but appears on the websites when you go anywhere. The fact that I started laughing out loud at that probably tipped them off that I don't quite believe them. So yeah, I find them amusing. They've stopped calling for some reason, though...

GrimmaTheNome Tue 30-Nov-10 18:29:20

Oh well, I'll just tell them I don't care if my Microsoft OS is running slow because I do all my CPU intensive calculations on my linux machine anyway.

Which has the virtue of being truegrin

Kaloki Tue 30-Nov-10 19:05:05

They've never rung here, which is gutting, me and DH could have sooo much fun!

zisforzebra Tue 30-Nov-10 19:08:34

I've had the same call. They basically said "We've been notified that you have a problem with your windows pc" to which I replied "No one in the house has a windows pc because I wouldn't let one through the door". They haven't called back since. grin We have a macbook.

I also had the Sky one a few days later but I told them we don't have sky and that worked as well.

DH is the king when it comes to getting rid of cold callers though. We've always just had new windows, a new kitchen or a new conservatory when we get those calls. grin

Riddo Tue 30-Nov-10 19:10:13

I used to answer them and then argue with them, DH is an IT consultant so would know if there was anything wrong with our computer.

Now I use caller ID and ignore. Occasionally I pick it up by mistake and just say Hello several times as if I can't hear anything and then hang up.

Jux Tue 30-Nov-10 19:11:40

We haven't had them. I don't know whether that's because we've been on the telephone preferences list or not. If they're originating in India, then it's probably not, but worth a try if you're not already on it.

I enjoy winding them up though. I told some guy we got had a private gas line from the Ukraine, spent ages annoying him with the problems it had caused laying it across our garden.

PositiveAttitude Tue 30-Nov-10 19:15:40

"Paul Smith" (If he was Paul Smith I am the queen of Sheba!) from microsoft called me last week. he was the fifth one that day! I asked to speak with his supervisor as he was breaking the law by phoning me!! hmm He was a little flustered and asked me what "breaking the law meant". I said he would be in a lot of trouble for phoning my number. I have not had any trouble since. wink

MarenmjMakesBigPies Tue 30-Nov-10 19:58:20

lol, makes me almost wish they had tried that with us. DH works for MS now and I used to years and years ago... we could have had a fun time with it.

We only had people trying to sell us Florida vacations though hmm

Anice Tue 30-Nov-10 20:28:16

I've tried various things but to no avail. I got one of them really annoyed once by pretending i had an IQ of approx 10 and was really grateful for the call. Halfway through the woman asked me "you don't have a pc, do you?" and I said "no" in the same conversational way I'd be talking all along. So she hung up and I got left alone for almost a week. Then it started again. I was still at the having fun stage back then though.

BT says changing my number is the only option. I was wondering about keeping a whistle by the phone but that's taking it a bit far isn't it?

pointythings Tue 30-Nov-10 21:14:25

@Anice,

No, get the whistle. Best idea on this entire thread. I haven't had any of these calls yet, but I do actually have a whistle ready to hand from one of the DCs party bags... grin grin grin grin

healthyElfy Wed 01-Dec-10 11:21:40

There is another scam that seems to originate in the UK. Someone will phone saying they are from BT, and to prove it they will cut off your line. They then put you on hold and you cant get a line because you are still connected to the caller. They say you havent paid your bill and ask for it right now by credit card. I havent had that one but apparently they are quite abusive. Worth knowing about I think.

backwardpossom Wed 01-Dec-10 11:22:42

I got one of these calls and let the guy go through his spiel before politely telling him I have a Mac. Then he told me I was lying!!! I let rip at that point...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: