Talk

Advanced search

Lady in the 'Handbasket' queue with TWO baskets- outrageous behaviour?

(68 Posts)
Clockspotter Tue 30-Nov-10 13:16:13

Just been to Morrisons in my lunch-hour. It was rammed- think all the pensioners are stocking up 'cos of the snow! Joined the handbasket queue and the woman in front, when she reached the conveyor belt, said "Excuse me I have another basket over there" and ran to pick it up before returning to her space. Must admit I was so gobsmacked I was speechless. She kept the whole queue of doddery pensioners waiting while she unloaded them both, as well as all the catfood from under her arms!

Talk about not playing by the rules...

GypsyMoth Tue 30-Nov-10 13:17:53

oooh we have done this!!

i had a basket full and DD was trailing behind me with a few things in her arms to add to my shopping!!

so hang us!!

bluecardi Tue 30-Nov-10 13:18:24

perhaps she's the same stupid person who knocked on my car window to ask me to move forward in a traffic jam of cars

GypsyMoth Tue 30-Nov-10 13:19:54

and i think on more than one occasion i've loaded my basket on the belt,then said to dd or ds, 'just quickly go and get some of those' and added more stuff from my point in the queue!

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 30-Nov-10 13:19:55

Maybe the second basket was for some "doddery pensioner" who can't get out for him/herself?

5GoldenFimbos Tue 30-Nov-10 13:20:25

Perhaps she is a home help (do they still exist?), we used to have a few in our village and they did the the old folks shopping separately.

BeenBeta Tue 30-Nov-10 13:20:34

YABU - accordng to PILs a lot of pensioners go to the shops with their free bus pass to avoid paying for their heating at home. They dont mind waiting.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Tue 30-Nov-10 13:21:33

That's pretty cheeky, I bet it wouldn't have happened in Waitrose!

If she was only doing it to speed up her trip to the supermarket then she WBU, but I suppose in the strictest sense she was in the handbasket queue and all that she had was handbaskets so she could hve thought the it was ok!

bubbleOseven Tue 30-Nov-10 13:22:42

This sort of thing just makes me giggle to be honest.

You should see how much stuff some people cram into a basket at my local supermarket just so they can go through the fast checkout! Honestly,it's a wonder they don't put their backs out, they can barely pick up their baskets to put them on the checkout sometimes.

feistychickfightingthebull Tue 30-Nov-10 13:22:58

It's hardly worth being gob-smacked about tbh. I am sure plenty of people have done this

olderyetwider Tue 30-Nov-10 13:23:49

Country is going to hell in a handbasket!

whiteliesaregoodlies Tue 30-Nov-10 13:26:40

I think it's cheeky to say the least. The rules can be taken too literally though. I once queued at a handbasket checkout in Morrisons with a trolley holding ONE item only (my excuse - I had a broken arm and couldn't carry it in a basket) - I thought this was OK but I did get tutted at by the woman behind me.

bupcakesandcunting Tue 30-Nov-10 13:28:34

"and i think on more than one occasion i've loaded my basket on the belt,then said to dd or ds, 'just quickly go and get some of those' and added more stuff from my point in the queue!"

Were you in the Worcester branch of Sainsburys on sunday? If so, I wanted to knock you out cold. grin

nancydrewrockinaroundxmastree Tue 30-Nov-10 13:29:26

A woman in the supermarket got all passive aggressive with me in the fast track queue the other day "Oh you have been asked to rescan as well have you" as I put the contents of my trolly onto the belt.

When I replied "no I am just paying" I was subjected to a rant on why I was in the wrong queue and how people like me made life diificult for everyone.

The supervisor had to come and intervene and explain that she has told me to use that queue grin

Butterbur Tue 30-Nov-10 13:30:26

I was stopped in M&S food once going through the handbasket till with a trolley. I had two items in it. Bloody jobsworth. I just put the items on the conveyor belt and said "It's not in a trolley now, is it?" She walked off, sadly, as I was ready for a fight.

GypsyMoth Tue 30-Nov-10 13:30:29

erm,no....but ds and dd are both quick!! but it was a sainsburys branch grin

Mummynumber2 Tue 30-Nov-10 13:30:44

Dp and I did this once. We had a basket each are were waiting in the normal queue until a helpful member of staff told us that as we has baskets we should go in the basket queue. We explained that we were together, had 2 between us and were happy in the queue we were in. He then said it didn't matter and insisted we changed queues to the longer basket one, which we did. Only to have the check out assistant refuse to serve us when we finally got to her! When we explained what had happened she said she would do it on this occasion but grumbled about it for the whole time we were there! As did several people behind us. We didn't use a trolley because we didn't have a pound coin.

BeenBeta Tue 30-Nov-10 14:26:43

I find if you carefuly arrange tall boxes, cartons of juice etc around the edges of the basket its possible to load it with all the small stuff in the middle of the basket right up to the handles then maybe an armful of stuff under the other arm and 6 litres of milk in your hand. It fills 4 carrier bags but is still one basket. grin

FindingMyMojo Tue 30-Nov-10 14:28:25

I blame the SNOW grin

mayorquimby Tue 30-Nov-10 14:30:39

You should have just gone in front of her. That's what I've done in the past

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 30-Nov-10 14:33:04

I never ever use trolleys - it drives DP and DD mad. I just shove everything I can into a basket, it is amazing how much you can fit in a basket.

If I had a trolley i would just buy the entire shop.

Igglybuff Tue 30-Nov-10 14:34:55

BeenBeta you must have strong arms!

In our local waitrose, you see people dutifully queuing in the basket only bit even when the trolley tills are free hmm

skydance Tue 30-Nov-10 14:36:32

Which branch bupcake, the new one or the old?

I was in sainsburys on Sunday but I swear I didn't get my children to run off and add to shopping thereby holding up queue.

<am a litle scared that cunting may shop in my sainsburys>

FluffyDonkey Tue 30-Nov-10 14:37:04

DH and I alwyas have one basket each which we then pay for together, sometimes at the handbasket queue. If anyone complains we just pay for each basket separately, thereby taking longer grin

PuppyMonkey Tue 30-Nov-10 14:45:55

Arf BeenBeta. I was at M&S the other day buying one thing in a hurry and joined the baskets line. Couldn't believe how long everyone was taking to get through. Peered up the queue and I swear people had the same amount of shopping bags as I do when I take a trolley.

I told the woman on the till, I says, oy! That's a crap way of doing a fast line - have a ten items only rule. And she goes, ooh yes that would be a good idea. And I says, yes. And then I couldn't think of anything else to say, so I left the shop. But that told'em, eh??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now