Talk

Advanced search

Why do people always assume DD is a boy?

(22 Posts)
MemooMerrilyOnHigh Tue 30-Nov-10 12:35:38

It doesn't matter what she is wearing, she could be head to toe in pink.

This morning we into the chemist and the man behind the counter gave her a sticker that said 'I've been a good BOY today', He clearly had girl stickers too.

I didn't say anything because it doesn't really matter and he was just being nice and I didn't want to embarrass him but I just don't get it

Chrysanthemum5 Tue 30-Nov-10 12:38:07

The same thing always happened with DD. I assume it was because she is quite tall for her age, and fairly solid without a lot of hair - maybe she doesn't fit people's stereotype of a girl! Anyway, now she is 3 she has a little more hair and it hasn't happened for a while.

I didn't bother correcting people, but DS (aged 6) did!

MollieO Tue 30-Nov-10 12:38:43

Ds was always mistaken for a girl. Lasted until he was about 3. Even though (at least to me) he was always dressed as a boy.

How old is your dd?

MemooMerrilyOnHigh Tue 30-Nov-10 12:39:28

DD doesn't have much hair either so maybe thats it. have put a pic on profile of her in her coat that she wears at the mo. I think she looks like a girl ???

MemooMerrilyOnHigh Tue 30-Nov-10 12:40:02

DD is 14months

sobloodystupid Tue 30-Nov-10 12:41:19

Ds is regularly mistaken for a girl, but then he is very beautiful and had hair that wasn't the regular short back and sides. <Preens>

smellmycheese Tue 30-Nov-10 12:41:48

This used to really annoy me too.

I think for some older people, if a baby isn't in a dress, they're a boy. I used to put DD in jeans or joggers a lot, and people always assumed she was a boy, even if she had a frilly pink tshirt on with it!

I also think sometimes, people just don't care enough to take notice of what babies look like, and its easier to say he than she.

stinkypants Tue 30-Nov-10 12:43:29

just looked at your pic, she definitely looks like a girl to me! a very cute one at that!

MemooMerrilyOnHigh Tue 30-Nov-10 12:43:29

I don't tend to put dresses on DD either, much more practical to put her in joggers or jeans. I still get girly ones though

MemooMerrilyOnHigh Tue 30-Nov-10 12:43:50

Thank you stinky grin

going Tue 30-Nov-10 12:46:27

My ds is always mistaken for a girl even though he wears boys clothes and has quite a masculine body -broad shoulders ans big hands and feet. He does have a pretty face and longer than 'standard' blonde hair.

biglips Tue 30-Nov-10 12:46:37

hahahaa...i remember my dd1 was mistaken for a boy at times and she would be dressed from head to toe in pink but the prob was that she never had any hair till she was 3. As one lady said to me "Girl or boy?" and i thought you gotta be kidding me!! she is dressed all in pink hmm

Goingspare Tue 30-Nov-10 12:48:15

My very petite, utterly feminine looking DD2 was once called a 'lovely little boy' on a very rare occasion when she was wearing a pink frock, at about a year old.

I think it's often a hair thing - even though babies tend to have short hair (DD2 didn't have that much at all) some people expect girls to have long curls and boys, as sobloodystupid says, are supposed to have a short crop.

Goingspare Tue 30-Nov-10 12:48:36

x-post with biglips!

samay Tue 30-Nov-10 12:59:40

Message withdrawn

anothermadamebutterfly Tue 30-Nov-10 13:05:11

Ds used to always get mistaken for a girl all the time, and still often is, and he is 6. Doesn't matter what he is dressed in. I don't get it at all.

ShanahansRevenge Tue 30-Nov-10 13:05:39

I don;t think it's the hair myself...my DD had plenty of hair and always got called a boy..even in a pink snowsuit and a ribbon! Oh and a pink blanket!

I always thought it was her hair-do...it was a sort of "boy haircut" that she was born with...beats me...once afer getting pee#d off with it I said "She's a GIRL! Look...she is head to toe in PINK!"

And the woman said "Oh well I never notice that kind of thing!"

My Mum always told me that if I was not sure of the sex of a baby to call it "her" because if it was a boy, the Mum would be happy he was "pretty" whereas a girl being called a boy was not so good!

masochismTangoer Tue 30-Nov-10 13:17:15

I think she looks like a girl ???

She does - but the lack of hair is probably the issue. Have this with DD2 at the moment - dressed head to foot in pink (very unlike DD1) but random strangers refer to her as a him even after hearing me use her very girly name. Think it is the hair length - never been cut but still short so I suppose boyish. That random members of the public are just daft - slightly odd and very unobservant and daft.

ConstanceFelicity Tue 30-Nov-10 13:19:08

My friend's son was always mistaken for a girl, even when he was on a beach, naked...

PerpetuallyAnnoyedByHeadlice Tue 30-Nov-10 13:36:47

DD1 was mistaken for a BOY by the midwife who delivered her, i spent the first minute of her life thinking I had a son called Y not the DD called X that I had really been sure I was having all through the pg

Just as i was getting used to the idea she says "Oh hang on....."

DHs face -->hmm

I kid you not!

DD was enormous 10lb and with very swollen ladybits! but even so i would have expected a midwife to look more carefully

smellmycheese Tue 30-Nov-10 13:47:37

exactly the same happened to me Perpetually! We knew we were having a DD, and when she was born, the midwife said 'aww your little boy is lovely!' DP peered over and had to reassure me she was a girl!

In fact, loads of the midwives at the hospital i delivered at automatically used him and his, even the one who was showing me how to bath her! Standing there with a naked little girl, saying, make sure you hold him like this etc. Bizarre....

taintedsnow Tue 30-Nov-10 13:50:01

Definitely a girl going by your photo! And she's very pretty!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now