Talk

Advanced search

to be annoyed at teacher for shattering an illusion

(59 Posts)
tomhardyismydh Tue 30-Nov-10 10:28:55

im just very annoyed that dds teacher would not let this go and she has pissed me off.

I tell dd 4.7 im 21 of course im not and this is obviouse. but her teacher told her I wasnt and thats something mummys say to make them feel better. shock

through out last week dd has made a big issue over this. untill this morning I had to confess my real age to her as she says her teacher keeps telling her im not 21.

now that has ruinned my little joke and shattered my dds illusions.

ConstanceFelicity Tue 30-Nov-10 10:30:51

YABU. Don't you think your daughter might be a little confused when you keep having your 21st birthday?

What is it with this country and getting old?

happystory Tue 30-Nov-10 10:32:04

DO 4 year olds have any ideas of age? (other than their own of course!) It's not a big deal.....

Showaddywaddy Tue 30-Nov-10 10:32:14

What did the police say?

ShatnersBassoon Tue 30-Nov-10 10:32:34

YABU. Why would you care that your child knows how old you are?

Chil1234 Tue 30-Nov-10 10:32:40

YABU... teacher has done you a favour by shattering your delusion.

TheUnmentioned Tue 30-Nov-10 10:33:17

Seriously? God i thought it was going to be a something serious like old saint nick or something!

ShatnersBassoon Tue 30-Nov-10 10:34:25

Oh yes, and the teacher will think you're absolutely mental when your daughter goes back and tells her you're very upset that you had to confess that you aren't actually 21. It sounds like something from a dreadful comedy show.

FindingMyMojo Tue 30-Nov-10 10:34:50

well I think YABU to unnecessarily lie to your DD - you might think it's an 'in' joke between you, but really you will be the only one getting it.

I thought this was going to be about Santa.

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 30-Nov-10 10:37:12

You're lucky the teacher didn't tell your dd that you are a complete fruit loop, frankly.

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 30-Nov-10 10:38:15

PMSL shatners.

Yes it sounds like an over laboured and arch joke in some ghastly mid 00s sitcoms starring Caroline Quentin and Shane Ritchie.

Doigthebountyeater Tue 30-Nov-10 10:39:25

You are mental!

tomhardyismydh Tue 30-Nov-10 10:40:30

i think this is comparable to telling her santa isnt real grin

RealityVom Tue 30-Nov-10 10:41:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GrimmaTheNome Tue 30-Nov-10 10:42:06

Perhaps the teacher is uncomfortable with the pretence that you conceived your daughter aged less than 16 grin

Indith Tue 30-Nov-10 10:51:16

I think last time I asked ds how old he thought I was he said 7 and a half. He is about to turn 4, 7 and a half is really, really old.

Not a big deal really is it but I think it a little odd that a teacher of reception age children doesn't just pull out her best "wow I'm really interested in what you are saying that is amazing" face and say "Really tomhardy's dd? you mummy is 21? Well that is lovely and when is her birthday? Oh really? Is it? Did you get her a present?" and so on and so forth. It can hardly be the only nonsensical conversation she has a day!

ShatnersBassoon Tue 30-Nov-10 10:56:45

The teacher probably has conversations with OP's DD along those lines.

"So your mum's married to Tom Hardy? That's wonderful darling."

"Your mum is the secretary on The Apprentice that tells the contestants to go into the boardroom? Well lucky her."

"Your mum is not 21. She doesn't look it anyway, so you should probably ask her for the truth."

BendyBob Tue 30-Nov-10 10:57:58

Blimey I also thought this was going to be about Father Christmas. Phew!!

Most children think all adults are the same age I think. Ie old.

PinkElephantsOnParade Tue 30-Nov-10 10:58:48

On my 40th I went to DDs school assembly, where every week all the Dcs and any adults with brthdays are called up to sing Happy Birthday.

For all the adults the head always jokingly says their age is "21".

DD wasn't having any of this.

"You are not 21, mummy, you are 40!" she yelled.

No room for vanity in this house! grin

tomhardyismydh Tue 30-Nov-10 11:01:43

ha ha shatners made me laugh grin

Porcelain Tue 30-Nov-10 11:03:58

My mother told me was 21 when I was little ( I would have been about 3), I truly believed her until I was with her when hiring a car, I thought she was 26, she was 43! (So yes, a child can hang onto a "little joke" for years, long after the adult has got over it, I obviously counted on with every birthday)

As a kid I never thought to consider the logic (I have a brother 8 years older than me), but I do remember being quite put out that she had lied to me, especially as she always made a big thing about me never lying to her.

It's not really a very funny joke, she won't get it, it's adult vanity and until the wrinkles start coming, you don't think about lying about your age, it makes no sense to her.

LadyOfTheFlowers Tue 30-Nov-10 11:06:07

GetOrf LMFAO @ 'Fruit loop' - a fave phrase in this house!

Onetoomanycornettos Tue 30-Nov-10 11:06:44

I think the teacher responded entirely appropriately, saying you are 21 is just a cultural joke (which you appear to have taken quite seriously) and she's letting your child know that. Thank God she is sensible, you are not.

Anniegetyourgun Tue 30-Nov-10 11:08:02

YABU to lie to your child. I want mine to believe me when it really matters, so I start off by not being dishonest on the smaller things. No, I don't mean I tell them the entire gory truth about everything(!), but I don't tell them pointless untruths. I suspect lying about one's age to a child is all about one's own self-esteem, not about what is good for the child to know (and it's not a joke if only one of you is in on it).

On the other hand I don't see why on earth this teacher thinks it's her job to tell your child what your real age is. In short, it is none of his/her bloody business. Supposing a child were to confide in me that their mother, who I knew the actual age of, was telling them she was 21, and supposing I came down with a bad attack of honesty, I hope the nearest I'd get to interfering would be to imply that 21 is an age some people say when they don't want to tell you the real one. Of course you should never ask a lady her age!

Anniegetyourgun Tue 30-Nov-10 11:14:19

ps PinkElephants, I would probably have corrected the head teacher myself if he/she said I was 21. I've earned every one of the years I have on the clock and I want to take full credit for them. It's my life and I won't have people knocking out odd decades.

Oh wait, maybe I am a bit peculiar...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now