Talk

Advanced search

To report this?

(11 Posts)
GlitteryBalls Tue 30-Nov-10 09:37:11

I live on a cul-de-sac, so often I drive down to the end of my road to turn the car round. A couple of times I have seen a dog trotting around the pavement unsupervised, one evening I saw it crap on the pavement, then trot back down the road to the front door of one of the houses, the door opened, it was let back in and the door closed again. I didn't see anyone come out of the house to clean it up. Now at the time I thought this was pretty bad, but I was in a hurry and didn't have time to make a proper note of which house it was etc.

This morning, I was outside de-icing my car. I saw this same dog trot past me and proceed to do a big, steaming turd, bold as brass, right in the middle of the pavement. It scampered back down the road to the doorstep of one of the houses (the door was closed). This time I saw which number house it was. A minute or so later, the door opened and a bloke came out with a buggy and a second older child. As he came past me I said quite politely, "oh if that is your dog it's just been there on the pavement" and pointed it out to him. He grunted and did proceed to pick it up. Now I'm pretty sure if I hadn't had said anything, he wouldn't have picked it up as he wouldn't have even known it was there.

On the strength of what I have witnessed, do you think I should make a complaint? Incidentally at the moment I am temping for the local council so I'm sure I could ask someone at work how I should go about it. I should also point out that all the houses on our street have their own yards/gardens so if he was merely letting the dog out for some "fresh air" he could have quite easily done it on his own property. Also, this dog seems to not shit on his own proverbial doorstep, so it's the rest of the street who has to dodge the turds on our way out to our cars (and there are always a few knocking about).

Or am I asking for trouble? I thought we lived on a nice street, but if someone thinks it's ok to let their dog shit everywhere they probably wouldn't think twice about letting down a couple of tyres and this bloke has now seen me with my car! I was parked a few doors down from my house so at least he doesn't know where I live! Although I can't be the only person on the street to have seen this happening and be pissed off by it...

Would what I've witnessed be enough to do something anyway? Or should I just stop being such a busy-body? I'm not anti-dogs per se, just anti-my-street-being-littered-with-turd, especially as I am pregnant now and soon will have a small child.

JaxTellersOldLady Tue 30-Nov-10 09:42:47

doesnt matter if you are pregnant with triplets. Letting your dog poo on the pavement and not pick it up is an offence so you should report it. Two of the 'laws' of dog ownership is to have a tag on the collar and carry poo bags.

It is my pet hate (pardon the pun) and as I had to collect a small poo from the pavement in front of my house last week (from a mystery dog) I agree with you. I have 2 dogs, neither would EVER go on a pavement and if they had an accident it would be picked up. It is part and parcel of keeping animals, you clean up their mess.

peggotty Tue 30-Nov-10 09:42:58

yanbu to report it. Maybe, just maybe now that you have said something to him then next time he'll pick it up (but doubt it). Give him the benefit of the doubt for a few days but if it's still happening, then report away!

GlitteryBalls Tue 30-Nov-10 09:49:10

That's the thing. This dog clearly has no shame (bless him he is quite cute though - not his fault) and is very used to just doing it right slap bang in the middle of the pavement (in front of anyone) where someone is bound to stand on it. His apparent lack of any shyness makes me inclined to believe this happens all the time, and not just on the occassions I have noticed!

Vallhala Tue 30-Nov-10 09:51:46

YANBU to report it.

1. Dog crapping on pavement and not being cleared up EVERY time is unacceptable. End of.

2. Dog let out of front door where there is no secure garden puts him at risk of being run over or stolen and is extremely cruel and unacceptable.

3. Some idiot will start claiming that the dog's very existence in public without a lead is a danger to the human race - then all hell will break loose and the dog's wellbeing could be at risk.

There you go, three very good reasons from someone who is proudly, as someone put it in here recently, merrily thinking offend me by saying it, "dog-centric".

Bahhhumbug Tue 30-Nov-10 10:07:59

ROFL @ ' dog doing a turd - bold as brass - right in middle of pavement '

Just asked my dog and he said 'the bare faced cheek' - he personally would go in the guttering if caught short - and then go home and tell his owner the location of the poo for him to pick it up.

GlitteryBalls Tue 30-Nov-10 10:13:14

It did look quite funny! Dogs do look quite comical when doing a poo IMO, and he just stared straight at me while he was going! Like I said, quite a cute dog really, just wish he wouldn't shit eveywhere, or at least as you said, go home and tell ownwer exact location and hassle him Lassie-style til he gets off his arse and goes and cleans it up!

WeeScotsLass Tue 30-Nov-10 10:51:08

I love dogs - but I'll never keep one. For us, the cons totally outweigh the pros - and this is one of them - picking up dog shit. I always think of dogs going outside, having a crap and then coming back in, sit with their bare bums on the carpet, and baby crawls along...Yuck!. To answer your point - I think YANBU at all!

inkyfingers Tue 30-Nov-10 11:01:54

Give it a bit of time. Personally I wouldn't like the aggro (dog poo or not) living near someone who knows I reported them.

He knows you know. He's been asked about it and he picked it up - he could have ignored you and walked on. Hopefully, he won't risk it...?

But if it goes on - shiny steaming piles - report him.

GlitteryBalls Tue 30-Nov-10 11:02:06

I am the same Wee, I like dogs but wouldn't have on at this time as I don't want all the inconvenient and downright gross bits that go with it. Therefore it angers me that poeple get dogs and refuse to pick up their shit. It's like choosing to have a baby and then not changing its nappy IMO.

GlitteryBalls Tue 30-Nov-10 11:13:46

Yes inky, I am inclined to agree. Don't want to start a neighbours from hell feud! But I did notice today that there are LOADS of signs on my street warning about fines for not clearing up dog poo etc., more so than you would normally expect. SO I reckon something may have been said about it before and the council decided to stick up a few more signs etc in the hope that would deter. I probably won't do anything now, but I'll let a bit of time pass and if I see it again I will say something, especially as I have actually seen which number house the dog belongs to. Thanks chappesses!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: