Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think that yr 7-11 DCs should not be encouraged to protest...

(7 Posts)
changer2010 Tue 30-Nov-10 01:25:33

Another education protest day today.

I study at a uni where students will be publically protesting. The facebook protest campaign (for the universities) links to walkout campaigns at various secondary schools in the city.

The school protest groups say they will be joining up with the public protest after walking out (which will presumably have police around like last time), and are encouraging Yrs 7-11 to walk out and protest too.

AIBU to think that if I had a yr7-11 DC, I would forbid them from walking out (and explain why).

Simbacatlives Tue 30-Nov-10 01:30:37

Would be happy for mine to protest.

I went on anti poverty and peace marches at 14 and 15. Year 7 a but young but 10 and 11 yes of course.

I would be proud if my 15 year old came home and told me that they had been out on a march or protest,

Skyrg Tue 30-Nov-10 01:32:04

Why?

It will affect them too, more than it will affect the current university students.

You would forbid a Yr11? You would forbid a young adult who is legally allowed to have sex and get married, who will be applying to university in the next couple of years, to walk out in protest?

Is it the walking out that bothers you, or the protesting? Is it the police issues?

PinkElephantsOnParade Tue 30-Nov-10 01:38:57

I think yr7 too young due to possibility of nasty experiences with police.

Even yr 11 would need to be well briefed about what to do if things turn nasty.

changer2010 Tue 30-Nov-10 01:42:54

I would be bothered by yr7-10 joining the big protest more than their school one.

Fair point re: fifth formers (and yr 10 to an extent).

It's the incitement on facebook from (?) sixth formers that concerns me, and that the police have said they cannot necessarily protect younger children.

Also not sure that yr 7-9 (definitely) and yr 10-11 (to an extent) will fully realise what they are getting into with the public protest.

Today's protests have a different feel from last week - no path agreed with police.

Skyrg Tue 30-Nov-10 02:06:49

I do sort of agree about the larger protests. I do think year 10 and 11 have every right to be there and can handle it, but getting children involved in this kind of large protest could be a bad idea, given the violence.

I would say that the standing at the back holding banners approach would be the way to go... but it seems to police are determined to treat peaceful protesters (and even people not protesting if reports are to be believed) as guilty.

So my answer is a bit of a 'dunno' really grin
I do think that it is fair to forbid Yr7-9 (still children) but not so much yr10-11 (young adults) as they're likely to be more mature, more able to deal with things, more politically aware etc.

I wouldn't forbid walkouts though, they won't lose much in a day and it may do something to get rid of this bloody apathy.

changer2010 Tue 30-Nov-10 02:34:04

It's the youtube videos that would make me have 2nd thoughts. There are some of the police separating the protestors into groups by pushing them through the police line - and some of the protestors do look about 14.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: