Talk

Advanced search

to be irritated that delivery men put packages in the bin?

(25 Posts)
Waswondering Mon 29-Nov-10 22:28:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

raspberrytart Mon 29-Nov-10 22:30:30

My friend said Tesco had put her delivery of food shopping in the bin!

readywithwellies Mon 29-Nov-10 22:33:09

Mine always get put in the bin, over the gate, in the gas meter box, wherever really.

I would rather that than have to troop down the post office and if I don't get it because they haven't delivered it, then I will get a refund.

These delivery men don't get much per drop and don't get extra for redelivery, so I can see why they do it. Also, if it means I had to absorb the additional costs in P&P by insisting it was delivered 'correctly' I am happy with the current operation.

TheFarSide Mon 29-Nov-10 22:34:26

YANBU - this is very irritating.

We've had Amazon deliveries put in the recycling bin, luckily on a non-recycling day.

I would report it to Amazon. I guess if your wheelie bin had been emptied you could contact Amazon and they would resend the stuff, but that would be a PITA.

Waswondering Mon 29-Nov-10 22:45:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsCuldesac Mon 29-Nov-10 23:11:58

My DH is a postman and he's also bemused by anyone who leave deliveries in wheelie bins and recycling boxes - mad or what? None of the posties likes having to take parcels back to the delivery office, but that sort of brainless solution is not unusual. Royal Mail don't leave things with neighbours at random - if you look at the "Sorry you were out" card, there's the option of having stuff left in "your designated Safeplace" or "with your designated neighbour". They haven't got time to bang on your neighbours' doors in the hope of finding someone in, explaining the problem and then going back to your house with a note explaining who they've left it with. DH endeavours to secrete the items safely somewhere and puts a card through the door with details eg "In the greenhouse under the tarpaulin". This has led to some funny exchanges, like when a woman phoned the delivery office and said the postman had left a note telling her to look in her bush. It was a particularly luxuriant clematis around the front door, which was the ideal hiding place for the parcel.

pookamoo Mon 29-Nov-10 23:17:30

We had one left in our rubbish bin on bin day by the postie last week!

dietcokesholidaysarecoming Mon 29-Nov-10 23:19:24

LOL at look in her bush

QueenStromba Tue 30-Nov-10 02:45:37

Our postman quite often leaves packages under our doormat. This is either an issue because it is quite obvious there is something under there and we don't have a front garden or because it isn't particularly obvious and the package nearly get's stood on. He once left a £100 hard drive under the mat and it was very fortunate that I was the first person to come home because you know how observant men are.

EduStudent Tue 30-Nov-10 02:52:12

YANBU at all - my Aunt ordered a suit for my cousin from Next for a wedding and they put it in the wheelie bin (Why why why?!)

They didn't even leave a card to say it was there. Cue days of angry phone calls from my Aunty demanding to know where the suit was, especially as she'd paid for quicker delivery.

She only found it when they emptied their bin a few days later - luckily it was delivered the day after collection.

I think eventually they agree it was ridiculous and apologised.

NetworkGuy Tue 30-Nov-10 03:10:40

The other day our postman thumped on the door and did not wait to see if I was running down the stairs but then marched off around the side of the house.

I should really get a big new gate up, but when I was standing in the porch with the door open, he gave me a package (laptop battery for a client) and wandered off without saying anything like "what's the best place to put any packages in future"...

I guess he would be a bit more 'approachable' if he didn't have both earplugs in (he is sometimes chatting on his mobile while delivering and I've given up civil greetings because it means he has to take one earplug out...

I suppose he might get into long trousers one of these days (not sure if/where he served but) he loves showing off the tattoos on his legs !

AllGoodNamesGone Tue 30-Nov-10 08:37:22

If you order a lot online it might be worth investing in a Parcel Safe

I bought one after we had an eBay parcel left in our green bin - on top of the fresh lawnmower clippings - and we were away for three days! It was still there when we got back but the grass had soaked into it leaving the box all mushy and smelly - thankfully the seller had wrapped the contents in plastic so it was all OK but I didn't want it happening again (eBay addict!)

It's a lot of money but we've had it a few years now and it's kept loads of parcels safe and dry so worth it in the long run, imho.

Also, our postie often comes quite early on a Saturday and I don't feel bad about ignoring the bell if I am still in bed as I know she has only to sling it in the parcelsafe and be on her way!

egopostulosomnus Tue 30-Nov-10 09:13:04

network guy you must be my neighbour!
our postie always wears shorts, whatever the weather, and is always either listening to ipod or on his phone. very rarely knocks with a parcel, just puts it in our designated safe place, and i guess he signs the signed for part on those parcels as the strips are always removed! doesnt bother me too much would rather that than he woke the baby or i answered the door with said child clamped on to my bosom!
but yes, we also get parcels in the bin, always amazon too, sooo stupid! especially as we have loads of other suitable places

CrazyPlateLady Tue 30-Nov-10 09:37:32

YANBU.

Yesterday I had a parcel from Next so it wasn't delivered from the postman and the delivery man left in it the garden bag in the front garden. Good job no one saw him, this isn't the greatest of areas. I wasn't happy at all!

UnquietDad Tue 30-Nov-10 09:41:26

I do wish our local postmen and delivery men were not so highly trained in Stealth Ninja Delivery techniques. I work in an office at the top of the house and often simply don't hear them - I come downstairs to find one of those irritating cards on the mat. The doorbell is there for a reason!!

JumpJockey Tue 30-Nov-10 09:42:13

I had a parcel that was stolen (or perhaps never left), the courier guy told the company he'd left it 'in the porch'. Oh, so that will be our front doorstep that goes directly onto the pavement then and is completely insecure? angry

NetworkGuy Tue 30-Nov-10 11:09:40

UnquietDad - time for CCTV looking at where someone is likely to stand if they ring the doorbell. I had a webcam with a PC some 8 years ago with software called Grab It which could make a noise if movements were detected (had a sensitivity control too, so I could make it ignore the cat, but a human still 'woke' it/me.

Top end CCTV unit I tested a few moths back looks like a Star Wars stormtrooper face and has left/right and zoom, oh and a speaker so you can shout "What do you want?" - used to be 900 pounds but now 1248 (gulp!)

NetworkGuy Tue 30-Nov-10 11:11:58

Oooops a few months back (though now I think about it a bit more, perhaps 15 months back... time flies)

It was for someone with a few fishing lakes wanted ability to monitor with night vision from comfort of home. Worthwhile for him to protect his fish stock for paying members/visitors.

gorionine Tue 30-Nov-10 11:13:44

We havwe a lovely postman who does tht too (parcels in the black wheelie bin) and I love him for that as I have no patience and hate when it is a different postman and I get a "we missed you" note which meand I have to wait at lest 24 hours for my packagegrin

messylittlemonkey Tue 30-Nov-10 11:17:06

We had a spell of Amazon packages being left over our side gate, behind the wheelie bin.

Worst was last Christmas when I ordered a coffee machine and came home to find it delivered over the gate. Must have been dropped there too as the gate is a high one. Was very cross, but the coffee maker was fine luckily.

Rubbish though isn't it? (No pun intended!)

mummytime Tue 30-Nov-10 11:39:48

Our post office parcels seem to always get delivered without even a knock on the door (even when we are in), just propped up outside. However the worst was Amazon last week where something was delivered and dumped in the garden near the gate (a long way from the house), we only discovered it when we went to get in the car.

Of and often parcels get delivered to the wrong house (a similar address or just the wrong number) which if they bothered to knock we could point out, so cause a lot less inconvenience and lost parcesl.

nickeldonkeyonadustyroad Tue 30-Nov-10 11:49:41

thank god DH is a postie - means we don't get any packets delivered to our house, he just brings them home.

but he says that he is also shocked at how many stories he hears about delivery men leaving parcels in the bin. and apparently, none of his delivery office does it. hmm

nickeldonkeyonadustyroad Tue 30-Nov-10 11:51:14

(oh, i know DH definitely doesn't, because he's a proper jobsworth grin -seriously, he really does do everything for the customers)

BadPoet Tue 30-Nov-10 12:20:06

My in-laws lost a parcel last week because of this, the bin was put out by neighbours and emptied. They don't know what it was or who sent it!

tassisssss Tue 30-Nov-10 22:14:17

ours regularly end up in the greenhouse which is kind of nice!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: