Talk

Advanced search

To be so relieved i could cry?

(28 Posts)
redflag Mon 29-Nov-10 20:46:14

My husband has chronic lung decease, he is very ill. To the point where i have to do most things for him. He finally received his DLA decision today and was given hight rate care and mobility. It has been a complete struggle for us and we have been waiting for 6 months.

I am just so glad its all over with, it was completely soul destroying!

SpikyBinkle Mon 29-Nov-10 20:52:21

It's awful that you have had the added stress and hassle. Glad it has been sorted at last

taintedsnow Mon 29-Nov-10 20:59:03

Oh I'm so sorry your DH is ill, but I'm really happy for you that you've at least got the financial side of things sorted.

Have some wine/chocolate/etc tonight and breathe a sigh of relief! grin

redflag Tue 30-Nov-10 05:43:38

Thanks xxxx

Its just been such a struggle, they were almost purposely avoiding having to give it to us.

But its all over now, can just relax and not have to think of it again, They had so much medical info by the end of it all.

We can carry on with our lives now.

My poor husband is only 31 and has the same lung capacity as a 90 year old, he is so so ill poor thing, i pray every day he will live longer than predicted.

ChippingIn Tue 30-Nov-10 05:52:04

It makes me so angry that people like you have to fight for things like this - it's just not right! I want to take the public purse and spend it far more wisely than the govt does (and that's no matter who they are!).

I am really, really pleased for you that you now have it in place and can concentrate on other things.

Is there anything that can be done to help DH?

JetLi Tue 30-Nov-10 06:51:09

Well done redflag smile - hope they backdate it as well smile We have been struggling with attendance allowance so know some of what you've been through xx

onmyfeet Tue 30-Nov-10 07:45:58

I am sorry your husband is ill, but glad that you have one less burden hanging over your head. Now you can enjoy your time together. Is a lung transplant a possibility?
Bless you both.

onmyfeet Tue 30-Nov-10 07:46:44

I am sorry your husband is ill, but glad that you have one less burden hanging over your head. Now you can enjoy your time together. Is a lung transplant a possibility?
Bless you both.

onmyfeet Tue 30-Nov-10 07:47:05

Oops, thought it didn't post, sorry!

redflag Tue 30-Nov-10 11:48:23

Thanks for the replays re DH lung condition, its his bronchiole tubes that are damaged really badly, not actually sure what can be done to help him, thankfully his heart is good and strong. xx

Its being backdated, so it started on the 1st June this year, its a lot of money now,bit shocked at how much to be honest.

Hello chippingin, It make me so cross when i hear of people scamming the system, makes me really mad!

hairyfairylights Tue 30-Nov-10 11:52:21

Great news. Those particular forms are a blooming nightmare!

rodformyownback Tue 30-Nov-10 11:55:48

Wonderful news - sounds like you deserve some. Have a lovely Christmas!

Onetoomanycornettos Tue 30-Nov-10 11:56:11

Crying with happiness (and with the stress of it all) seems entirely appropriate, however it's extremely annoying that the system is so inefficient and stressful for you, when you are more than entitled to help.

redflag Tue 30-Nov-10 12:05:38

JetLi, its a nightmare isn't it, i had begun to wish we had just never bothered applying after the first few weeks.

I remember they contacted the wrong doctor and said "we we just assumed it was not as bad as you made out!" hmm i went on to explain we had never seen this doc at all!

They are useless. i cried myself to sleep so many times, and it started to make Dh think and say "oh what is the point anymore!" That was really hard to hear.

Good luck with your claim.

redflag Tue 30-Nov-10 12:08:26

Onetoomany, They approach every case with suspicion, i said to them on the phone, "he has bloody lung decease, you cant fake that!!" i feel so sorry for every one who has to go through the stress of applying, its the last thing disabled people need to be doing!

BelleDeChocChipCookieMonster Tue 30-Nov-10 12:12:02

Well done, you must be so relieved. I'm still waiting for them to sort mine out, it's been 3 months now. I find it appauling that they make people wait like this. I've almost given up hope as I'm expecting a 'sod off' and having to appeal.

redflag Tue 30-Nov-10 12:20:47

We had to appeal, then they had to admit they make a mistake and withdrew the refusal!

They really mess with peoples lives its not on!

I hope its all sorted for you soon Belle, demand to speak to the decision makers.

BelleDeChocChipCookieMonster Tue 30-Nov-10 12:23:40

I've just called them. I'm getting low rate for care and nothing else. I have MS, it must appear that having burning feet and stumbling over because the muscles are weak means I can still walk without any help and that I don't need supervision confused. It's better then a 'sod off though.'

zeno Tue 30-Nov-10 12:24:20

Good news Red Flag - sorry it's been such a struggle to get there. Make sure you claim Carer's Allowance too if you do 35 hours or more of care for him in a week.

redflag Tue 30-Nov-10 12:25:23

Really? You should still appeal, Did your doctor write to them for you?

redflag Tue 30-Nov-10 12:26:41

Zeno, i do and i am going to apply (they are sending me the forms, been told that will be backdated too) it all seems a bit much.

BelleDeChocChipCookieMonster Tue 30-Nov-10 12:28:36

Yes, they requested information from the consultant and my GP, this was after I sent them reports from them both when I sent in the initial application.

You should apply for carers allowance. I know that this must have put you off but sometimes you have to jump through these stupid hoops.

ABitBatty Tue 30-Nov-10 12:30:31

The CAB will handle an appeal for you and arrange for someone to represent you at a tribunal.

BelleDeChocChipCookieMonster Tue 30-Nov-10 12:35:15

I don't think it's worth the stress for another £18.95 a week.

BelleDeChocChipCookieMonster Tue 30-Nov-10 12:36:31

It does also mean that I qualify for a disabled persons bus pass and additional working tax credit though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now