Talk

Advanced search

PTA Question

(10 Posts)
Itsjustafleshwound Mon 29-Nov-10 20:02:41

Apologies ...

I don't quite know what to think of this:

The PTA at the school has produced their financial statements (!!!) and in the budget is an allocation for donations (of a few '00s) to a local good cause.

I know that it is a good thing to think of those less fortunate than yourselves, but surely this is cash that has been given in good faith by the parents to ensure that it is spent on the school??

dearprudence Mon 29-Nov-10 20:05:48

Our PTA doesn't donate to charity, although a hardship fund is made available to those who need it to pay for trips, etc. All confidential and most parents probably don't realise this unless they come to meetings.

Events that are raising money for charity are separate from PTA events. Or in one case, the money is shared between charity and the school - and this is made clear to parents.

BeerTricksPotter Mon 29-Nov-10 20:05:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

doesthismatter Mon 29-Nov-10 20:24:31

I guess it depends how it is done. Our PTA does raise funds for other charities but it is always made clear upfront when running an event eg 50% of the profits from the quiz night went to a local charity. People knew beforehand so, in my example, if you werent happy with this you didnt have to go to the quiz night I suppose.

Dexterrocks Mon 29-Nov-10 22:30:35

YANBU
If a parent donates to the PTA they expect the funds to go the smooth running of the school. Schools are struggling. Our PTA is currently raising money just to pay for printer ink and white board bulbs as well as school trips and Christmas parties.
If parents want to give to charity they can do so themselves.
If the school hosts a fundraiser it should be clear from the outset that the funds raised are for that charity and not the PTA.
I would be very upset if funds I gave towards the PTA were given to charity. I am perfectly capable of selecting charities myself and donating to them myself.

qualitystreetrosescelebrations Mon 29-Nov-10 22:48:28

If it's not clear prior to the accounts being published YANBU.

However, all of our PTA events at our school, clearly state on everything (tickets/posters/correspondence) that 10% of the profit of the event will be going to a local charity helping disadvantaged children.

As someone else mentioned, it gives parents the opportunity not to contribute/attend if they don't want any of their money going to this.

seeker Mon 29-Nov-10 22:52:38

We have run events that are specifically for particular charities - for example, we helped the children run a fundraiser for the Haiti appeal. Our Christmas Fair is traditionally 50;50 PTA and Oxfam. Were you tols about any events that weren't soleley for school things?

Hassledge Mon 29-Nov-10 23:00:43

I was of the opinion that the Charities Commission rules are quite clear - that a charity can't give to another charity unless the amount given is raised by fundraising where it was made clear who the recipient would be.

For example - our PTA (reg charity, as they usually are) has coffee mornings which we say are for Macmillan Cancer Whatsit (also reg charity). We advertise it as such, parents know that's why they're there. That's fine. If we as a PTA had a coffee morning advertised as fundraising for the PTA, and then decided to give it to Macmillan, that wouldn't be fine.

It's possible I've made this all up, but after many many years of PTAing this has always been my understanding. So YANBU.

Itsjustafleshwound Tue 30-Nov-10 08:15:40

Thank you for all your replies - I am going to raise this and see what is said.

We do have specific charity events at the school (Like Macmillan cancer) but it is usually well advertised.

HappyMummyOfOne Tue 30-Nov-10 08:47:37

I'd raise it too. We do some events where a charity is given part of the funds like children in need but its always clear on the advertising of the event.

If you are on the committee then surely any charity donations are agreed by all?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: